Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Los Angeles County Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tim Farmer
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Multi-Family Cash Flow possible in Los Angeles?

Tim Farmer
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Feb 2 2017, 14:59

BP Community,

Has anyone has success in acquiring Multi-Family properties in the LA area that cash flow upon purchase?  How did you find these deals?  Am I going to have to suck it up and buy a property that operates at break even or a loss until I can raise rents or can I find cash flow gems?  Are there particular sub markets to focus on to give me a better chance without worrying about a buying in an unsafe area?

The market is so hot right now, most properties are being sold based on proforma or have unrealistic asking prices.  I have cash and the desire to purchase, but having trouble finding good deals.  Any advice or thoughts on this market would be appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 22 2018, 18:09

As a real estate agent and investor, I've had luck in Long Beach, Compton, San Pedro ,Inglewood and South Central LA. Any other areas are difficult because the of the current high LA prices. San Bernardino county, Inland Empire provides the best cash flow but the equity builds at a lower rate then that of the greater LA are. In my opinion, if you are an FHA buyer, chances are you will not be cash flowing upon purchase. However, at 25% conventional, there is absolutely no reason why you should not be cash flowing Day 1 on a triplex or fourplex.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Poon
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 23 2018, 10:04
Originally posted by @Gil Vaisman:

Hi Tim,

It's possible, but not easy. 

I've had success with fixers that are underperforming. Nothing sexy. Improve it, add a couple of rental units and couple months later you have cashflow. I focused on properties that had been sitting for a while and had bad agenting. I tried to avoid rent control areas and got lucky.  

There are ways to make it work, but you have to figure out what you're comfortable with have patience and be ready to act.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you financing your deals?

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Poon
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 23 2018, 10:07
Originally posted by @Nery Moreno:

As a real estate agent and investor, I've had luck in Long Beach, Compton, San Pedro ,Inglewood and South Central LA. Any other areas are difficult because the of the current high LA prices. San Bernardino county, Inland Empire provides the best cash flow but the equity builds at a lower rate then that of the greater LA are. In my opinion, if you are an FHA buyer, chances are you will not be cash flowing upon purchase. However, at 25% conventional, there is absolutely no reason why you should not be cash flowing Day 1 on a triplex or fourplex.

Would you mind sharing your lenders?

User Stats

Votes
Grant Lin
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 4 2018, 23:27

Agreed. Not sure what kind of deals everyone else is looking at, but everything we buy or look at in SGV and IE are cash flowing from day 1 (given 30-35% down payment). Latest one we have under contract will give ~5% cash on cash in the first year. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 6 2018, 16:18

single family house in Palo Verdes  or Manhatten Beach

ocean side

3 bed  2 bath

how much can i buy it for

User Stats

Votes
Shiva Bhaskar
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 12 2018, 14:49
Originally posted by @Krishan Chaudhry:

single family house in Palo Verdes  or Manhatten Beach

ocean side

3 bed  2 bath

how much can i buy it for

PV and Manhattan Beach are two different markets, but probably at least $1.1 million, and that's probably for an OK house, more for a better one. I don't know that I would buy in those areas as an investment unless you find something that needs work and could be flipped, or you are prepared to hold it for a while, because prices are high, and cash flow is limited. For that price, you could buy a 4 or 5 unit in an area like Hawthorne or Gardena with some cash flow and lots of appreciation potential. 

User Stats

Votes
Shiva Bhaskar
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 12 2018, 14:50

Interesting, I''ve been looking at Compton (already invested in Gardena, and it's just a few miles away), and Watts, other parts of South LA. There are some good opportunities there, a bit of cash flow and I think the areas will continue to improve. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 12 2018, 09:54

agree 100% 

this  is not for flips

and you are right prices are hight