How would you proceed? (Hoarder seller financing deal)

How would you proceed? (Hoarder seller financing deal)

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hey there BP, hope you are all safe and healthy.

So this is my first post, and it just so happens to be with questions about this potential deal I am developing for a rental property.

I've developed a relationship with a woman willing to take a lower payment for her property with higher tax rate to keep her tax implications low and have residual income longterm. This is from a property she owns free and clear except a few years back taxes. Those taxes next year will pass almost 30k

The house has really solid bones and a few upgrades have been addressed already like the roof and some plumbing issues. The downside is this place is trashed. All the floor boards are swollen from pet droppings and theres a stench from it along with her being an indoor smoker. All in all she "cant handle the tax implications" from lump sums, and has some non family members shed love to help. Anything past this I'll will answer as best I can in the comment section.

-Where: San Diego CA

-What: 990 sq ft 2/2 with detached garage intended to be made into a 2/1 ADU (adding up to 800 sq ft)

-Unappraised realtor.com value: 500k

-Her word of appraisal from who knows how long ago: 640k

-Breakdown of price per sq ft of neighborhood is 343 median

(343x1790= 613k)

I'm not sure how it may effect the appraisal but this property is 1-200k cheaper than its neighbors.

When I divided the price by square from from realtor.com it came down to $504 per square foot

-Offer: 300k at 3.75 for 40 years =579k after interest and principal.

-Monthly PMI: $1207.58

That's what I can think to share so far but will gladly share any details I may have left out that can be helpful.

What I'm wondering are a few questions on the possibilities.

1. After entering into the seller financing deal, can I use the equity in the property to take out a heloc or home equity loan to cover the repairs and improvements beyond our finances?

(We will have enough to cover the cosmetic stuff between savings and sweat equity)

2. As the buyer in that agreement can I then deduct my operating expenses, mortgage interest and property taxes?

3. If I needed an investor to fund the rehab can I refi out enough to make the lender whole plus interest, and maintain the original payment agreement with the seller? (The thinking was private money to fund the rehab get it appraised and then refi out the lenders funds plus some safety net money then pay them at the same time)

4. Can you setup the seller financing terms to become inheritable? (After the person passes the non family members she wanted to care for recieve the payments from then on)

I'm sure ill think of more but for now this what I can put together.

Thanks everyone

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 195 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ramirez, that is one of those deals you need to consult with legal counsel. 

    You do have a deal there, and your goal is a win-win. To refi out of the Seller Finance doesn't align with her intention of avoiding a large lump sum tax implication. 

    If this is your first deal, and you need help with rehab cost, consider partnering with someone with a lot more experience. Knowing how to navigate city permitting, sub contractors, etc will save you in the long run.  

    I may know the right person for you, he may even comment or reach out to you. It's important to share information and work with the right people. So be careful.

    If you would like some help doing some analyst, filtering people, and/or connecting some dots. Reach out.

    Best Regards

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Donaghy:

    @Michael Ramirez, that is one of those deals you need to consult with legal counsel. 

    You do have a deal there, and your goal is a win-win. To refi out of the Seller Finance doesn't align with her intention of avoiding a large lump sum tax implication. 

    If this is your first deal, and you need help with rehab cost, consider partnering with someone with a lot more experience. Knowing how to navigate city permitting, sub contractors, etc will save you in the long run.  

    I may know the right person for you, he may even comment or reach out to you. It's important to share information and work with the right people. So be careful.

    If you would like some help doing some analyst, filtering people, and/or connecting some dots. Reach out.

    Best Regards

    The need for counsel is becoming clearer and clearer to me as im learning more and more.

    I thought so too, just really needed some confirmation on that, silly as it seems to some. As I'm learning more about refinancing I get the jist of why that doesnt align with the goal her and I share for her. 

    This would be my first deal, and fortunately I may have access to private money for a large chunk, if not all of the rehab. On that note, I plan to do as much work in the property I can to keep those rehab costs as low as possible. I've got a flexible schedule and am no stranger to hard labor. 

    the second half of what you're suggesting with a partner for permits and that side of things is the weak link in all of this for me. I know some folks in the trades of construction I just dont see them running their businesses professionally and that worries me. My family had always used family friends for stuff and it bit them in the behind down the road. 

    Any and all connections would be so appreciated, I'd gladly reach out soon too, thanks so much Kenneth! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.