Hard money strategy/creative financing idea

Hard money strategy/creative financing idea

Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
Hey everyone, In a never ending quest to add more properties to my portfolio, i concocted an idea and Id like to throw it out their to possibly have some people poke holes in it so I can see things I may be missing. Here it goes: Hard money loan- Thinking of taking 60k getting a 300k hard money loan to purchase 4 multi family properties that may need some work. Do the rehab for the value add. So I crunched the rough numbers in my investment location and see it working like this 4 triplexes bought and fixed up for 300k at whatever rate. Not even sure what the terms would be on the hard money but that’s why I’m here lol. So estimated gross monthly rents would come out to $6900.00. Using that income shortly down the line to qualify for some type of commercial refinance on the lot of them to go into a bit longer term debt. I see it working this way, need to pay back the 240k borrowed from HML. Gross rents from the 4 properties should be enough to qualify for a commercial refinance or even just a line of credit. Use that money to pay back HML and then would be in better debt at a more favorable rate with 4 cash flowing assets. I have never really gone the hard money route nor have I really spoke to any to see what the process is like. But does this seem do-able?
1Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Weckstein:
    Hey everyone,

    In a never ending quest to add more properties to my portfolio, i concocted an idea and Id like to throw it out their to possibly have some people poke holes in it so I can see things I may be missing.

    Here it goes:

    Hard money loan-

    Thinking of taking 60k getting a 300k hard money loan to purchase 4 multi family properties that may need some work. Do the rehab for the value add.

    So I crunched the rough numbers in my investment location and see it working like this

    4 triplexes bought and fixed up for 300k at whatever rate. Not even sure what the terms would be on the hard money but that’s why I’m here lol.

    So estimated gross monthly rents would come out to $6900.00. Using that income shortly down the line to qualify for some type of commercial refinance on the lot of them to go into a bit longer term debt.

    I see it working this way, need to pay back the 240k borrowed from HML.

    Gross rents from the 4 properties should be enough to qualify for a commercial refinance or even just a line of credit. Use that money to pay back HML and then would be in better debt at a more favorable rate with 4 cash flowing assets.

    I have never really gone the hard money route nor have I really spoke to any to see what the process is like.

    But does this seem do-able?

     That's roughly how it works.  Factor in carrying costs that include monthly payments, delays, materials, interest, closing costs and other things that may happen and you're golden.  Make sure you buy the properties right and don't rely just on the cash flow so you can refinance out of the hard money at about 70% ltv based on the new appraised value.

    Best of luck

    Stephanie

  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    Stephanie Potter hey thank you for your response. So I guess more so of what I’m wondering is the process on the hard money side, for instance, just like any bank they’re going to want to know the properties right? They’re going to want to make sure the ARV is accurate. Sooo to do this in essence I’d have to find 3 separate properties that meet my and the HMLs criteria. Get them under contract and then approach the HML to fund the deal. Then close on them all. I’m going to speak to some HMLs and some commercial loan companies to try to iron that part of the equation out. Best to start at the end then move my way back.
  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Weckstein:

    Stephanie Potter hey thank you for your response.

    So I guess more so of what I'm wondering is the process on the hard money side, for instance, just like any bank they're going to want to know the properties right? They're going to want to make sure the ARV is accurate.

    Sooo to do this in essence I'd have to find 3 separate properties that meet my and the HMLs criteria. Get them under contract and then approach the HML to fund the deal.

    Then close on them all.

    I’m going to speak to some HMLs and some commercial loan companies to try to iron that part of the equation out. Best to start at the end then move my way back.

     Yes, they're going to want to know the properties.  You're going to pay for appraisals based on renovated comps.

    I would contact your lender first (like you're doing) to get a handle on the numbers.

    Stephanie

  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    8y
    If you want to meet up to discuss options I’ll be in NYC Tuesday, but Stephanie has it right (as usual).
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.