203k Contractor Rehab Budgeting

203k Contractor Rehab Budgeting

Plainfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 139 posts · 53 votes

I'm planning to do an FHA loan on a multi property that needs about $10k of work per unit(Not including contractor labor). The limit I can take out before getting a 203k adviser(More fees, implications) is $35k. My mortgage broker also told me taking out this rehab loan is also going to raise my interest rate around 0.25%.

What I am trying to do is cover the parts of the rehab that don't take so much labor, and purchase the materials and DIY for the other parts that are more labor intensive. Here is a brief list of the planned renovations:

Kitchen

-Granite Countertops

-Cabinets

-Tile back splash

-Kitchen Sink and faucet

-Kitchen lighting

-Stainless Steel appliances

Bathroom

-Vanity/sink/faucet

-Shower head

-Bathroom lighting

-Mirror

Common areas

-New front door

-New interior doors

-Blinds/Curtains

-Wooden Laminate/Vinyl

I have a decent amount of my own money I can use after the down-payment and closing fees. I'm thinking I can cover the flooring and installation, which would save a lot on labor. What other items on here that require more labor dollars could I possibly knock out myself? Again my goal is to have the 203k contractor Install the easier items so I can use up my $35k budget, but not pay too much for labor out of that sum.

Also, is there any way I can purchase the materials and get refunded from the 203k check, or does the 203k contractor have to purchase the materials? If not, can I tell the contractor I want this exact item that's listed a $X, and get charged close to the amount of $X(Of course maybe a bit more for the contractors time to attain the item).

Thank you!!!

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Nino AlfanoPro Member
Contractor · Lemont, IL · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 76 votes
9y
Adam Juodis okay a lot to answer, 203k contractor has to be approved from lender. on paper you are not allowed to use your money for materials. So you wouldn't be able to buy materials and have 203k cover labor only.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nino AlfanoPro Member
    Contractor · Lemont, IL · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 76 votes
    9y
    Adam Juodis okay a lot to answer, 203k contractor has to be approved from lender. on paper you are not allowed to use your money for materials. So you wouldn't be able to buy materials and have 203k cover labor only.
  • Portland , ME · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Adam Juodis This is exactly what did on a project and it worked out great.

  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Rutherford:

    @Adam Juodis This is exactly what did on a project and it worked out great.

     Could you expand on how you used the 203k for your renovations please?

  • Portland , ME · Member since 2014 · 35 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Noelle Yarn I had a flexible GC who was fine with paying for some extra materials is all I was referring to. Feel free to reach out on PM if you have any other questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.