Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eli King
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cookeville, TN
Votes |
Investor Friendly House Plans?

Eli King
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cookeville, TN
Posted Jul 9 2024, 12:17

Are there any house plan websites that are specifically geared toward investors for spec homes? If not, are there any go-to websites for house plans that you recommend? The search for house plan websites seems somewhat gimmicky. 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 9 2024, 12:26

When searching for house plan websites geared toward investors or spec homes, it can indeed be challenging to find platforms specifically tailored to these needs. However, there are reputable websites that offer a wide range of house plans suitable for various purposes, including spec homes. Websites like Architectural Designs, Houseplans.com, and The House Designers are popular choices among real estate investors and builders. These sites typically provide extensive catalogs of floor plans designed by professional architects and designers, offering customization options to suit different budgets and project requirements. It's essential to review the plans carefully, ensuring they align with your investment goals and local building codes before making a purchase.

From my experience, BlueBeam provides the most seamless and fast collaboration between people on the project (architects, builders, owners, investors, etc.) It does take some training to become proficient but seems to be the most widely accepted.

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 9 2024, 12:28

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Jul 10 2024, 09:17

I do this fort a living. I started my career as an Architect specializing in exactly what you are looking for. I got into REI from there, but I still do both. The biggest keys are:

1 - The design should have the least amount of waste.  You pay for the scrap pile.  This means designing with the size/length of all materials in mind.

2 - Don't make design decisions based on what you want, or what you would live in.  Make them based on what your tenants need (not want) which would also allow for them to customize (furniture use) to their tastes.

I wrote a book on this a number of years ago that touches on a lot of these things, but it was focused on my specialty, "Energy Efficient, cost effective homes".  It was based on what I spoke on to groups of homeowners looking to be the general contractor of their own home.

PM me if you have any questions.