Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Jess Hammersley
Pro Member
  • Traverse City, MI
Votes |
How to do rent to own

Jess Hammersley
Pro Member
  • Traverse City, MI
Posted Jul 2 2024, 10:10

I have a tenant that has been in a property for about 5 years now and they are asking about signing the next contract for 5 years with a rent to own option. I am looking for any input on how to structure this deal and make both sides feel comfortable with the amounts. I still want to get good value out of the house.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 2 2024, 11:07

@Jess Hammersley

why do you want to sell?

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 2 2024, 12:13

If the value goes way up in 5 years you lose. If the value goes down the tenant doesn’t buy or renegotiates and you lose.

I think rent to own is usually done by landlords who don’t want to sell and just want to keep a large option payment. 

The way I’ve always seen it explained:  You add 5 years of inflation to the current value, say 25%. Then you ask for 10% of that amount as an option payment for the right to buy the property in 5 years. And then you assume they don’t and keep their 10%.

You have to make sure they don’t gain any equitable rights. Or you can’t do a 1031 in the future and they have new rights as owners. Also read up on Dodd-frank and revisions and I think rent to own was one of its targets. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
John Lubin
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jul 2 2024, 19:41

I was having trouble selling a flip, so I just put a rent-to-own tenant in, which I got through listing on FB marketplace.  It was win-win. I get more cash upfront, cashflow after my cash-out refi, and I net more on the sale because no realtors involved.

Young family that the husband started a business 1yr ago so couldn't qualify for a mortgage, but they wanted to buy a home. 

-I gave them a 3yr option to buy at anytime

-purchase price increases 1.5% every 6 months

-They put $10k down (non-refundable) that will go towards their purchase

-They pay $1850 in rent.  And an additional $600/m for 1yr and $200/m for yr 2-3 that goes towards purchase (non-refundable).  The additional amount in yr 1 was to help decrease the initial downpayment

-Tenant responsible for all maintenance (but I did purchase them a home warranty to use)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Furry
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma
Replied Jul 5 2024, 10:57

They just did a podcast on a couple that does this on the Real Estate Rookie podcast.  You should check it out.  It was very informative and I want to try it in the future if I can find the right deal.  Very lucrative for them.

User Stats

Votes
Donald Hajdari
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago
Replied Jul 7 2024, 21:45
Quote from @Chris Furry:

They just did a podcast on a couple that does this on the Real Estate Rookie podcast.  You should check it out.  It was very informative and I want to try it in the future if I can find the right deal.  Very lucrative for them.

Saw that but it was not very imformative on how to do it.

Jess Hammersley, I would contact your motrgage broker/ RE attorney and get the info and paperwork from them

User Stats

Votes
Jephte Augustin
  • Lawrence Township, NJ
Votes |
  • Lawrence Township, NJ
Replied Aug 3 2024, 10:16
Quote from @John Lubin:

I was having trouble selling a flip, so I just put a rent-to-own tenant in, which I got through listing on FB marketplace.  It was win-win. I get more cash upfront, cashflow after my cash-out refi, and I net more on the sale because no realtors involved.

Young family that the husband started a business 1yr ago so couldn't qualify for a mortgage, but they wanted to buy a home. 

-I gave them a 3yr option to buy at anytime

-purchase price increases 1.5% every 6 months

-They put $10k down (non-refundable) that will go towards their purchase

-They pay $1850 in rent.  And an additional $600/m for 1yr and $200/m for yr 2-3 that goes towards purchase (non-refundable).  The additional amount in yr 1 was to help decrease the initial downpayment

-Tenant responsible for all maintenance (but I did purchase them a home warranty to use)

How does this work from a tracking perspective?

1) Do you put the extra rent and deposit in escrow?

2) Do you provide a statement to the person informing them of the amount they have paid toward their deposit on a monthly basis?

I'm interested in doing that for a property we just renovated and I'm curious on how to proceed, especially if the tenant decides to exercise their right to buy.

THanks

User Stats

Votes
John Lubin
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Aug 3 2024, 13:46

It is all non-refundable, so I am not putting it in escrow. 

The contract clearly states the amount that goes towards the purchase, so once the execute the PA it will be easy to know the amount that was paid toward rent vs purchase.