Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Need Some Creative Ideas for Tear Down

Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted May 15 2024, 00:31

My grandmother passed years ago. Many years prior to her passing she moved out of the home to live with another family and the home sat vacant for a very long time without anyone checking on it. Thru the years it has been vandalized and damaged also by weather. I was unaware until recently just how bad the condition of the home is until recently when I sent an appraiser over and he said it was a tear down which a couple contractors have also now told me as well.

The property is historical and has a county historical marker which it received after my grandmothers passing which we were not able to place yet. My vision was this summer to rehab the home as a primary residence but now needing some creative ideas of what to do once we do a tear down. She has a very sizable lot which could actually acommodate 3 homes on it. I really hate to tear it down but seems no other solution. Can someone help me with an idea or two of something we can build in place of the home we will tear down which can still honor family and the significance of the spot the home once sat on? Her children are elderly now but family bonds are strong and they still love gathering together so would love a gather spot of retreat like spot for them to sit and perhaps for family to go on holidays for events. The home is 150 years old, 1500 sq ft. one story with sizable porch to give an idea size to work with on making into something else.

I welcome ideas. Also what is a temporary housing solution to include on the lot as we have a family member and her son needing a place to live and we have the land however they do not have money at the moment to do a build. A livable spot would add a little more value to the property. Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 15 2024, 02:15

pics please......

Exterior and interior....if available.

Does it have a drinking water well that has clean drinkable water for human beings?

Does it have a septic field and septic tank or is it connected to the city waste disposal system?

Do the toilets inside flush without any blockage if you pour a bucket of water into the toilet, same for the sinks and any floor drains,?

Is the structure currently boarded up against the elements, windows all of them, the roof, and any holes in the walls?

If the house were minimally livable based on other prices of houses in the neighborhood, excluding the extra land what do you think the house is worth if you had to sell it?

Is there anybody in your family you would call a hammer swinging type who could do some repairs on it.

Do you have the money to have an electrician rewire the house to modern standards maybe 3000 to $5000 cash, maybe more- maybe you could ask  if they could do it on a credit card--I don't know?

Do you have the money to have a new heater put in it of some sorts, electric baseboard, natural gas, propane- as well as a new water heater.

I'm not talking about rebuilding it into the Taj Mahal. I'm talking about bringing it up to the standards of a Class C rental that section 8 would pass as a rental for its voucher holders. Which is a very minimal standard of living but is still first world.

Will habitat for humanity help you rebuild it to a minimum standard.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 15 2024, 11:06

@Scott Mac

Thank you for responding and for your questions.

1. Photos. Attaching. In very, very bad shape. Grandmother had demetia (later Alzheimers) and focus of family was on her care and so house kinda was forgotten and home deteriorated. I live far away and was unaware no one was watching or maintaining the home or I would have attempted to find a caretaker of the home maintenance. Home was always up until her sickness in immaculate condition so kind of embarrassed to share the photos but will for assessment and creative ideas purpose.

2. Drinking water is in good condition but of course turned off at this time.

3. Sewer still intact and attached to city disposal system.

4. Toilets flush. Unsure.

5. Boarded. Only one window is boarded up at this time. Structure inside and out has suffered immensely because was not protected from the elements. Holes in the walls. Exterior very unstable and unsafe. From a storm a tree fell into the house and no one was aware so roof has been open for sometime :(

6. Value. It is not alot but appraisal conducted two weeks ago on land only without the home came to a bit over $200K. County has appraised at $312K. We have had offers of $430K on it few months ago as was. Really unsure. The area is being re-gentrified somewhat and an empty lot which was next door now has a $800K home on it and lot is way smaller.

7. Family help. I have some family members and myself :) who will swing hammers and some have experience with light construction. We also have organizations we are members of who may help with some parts of construction.

8. Yes. Funds available for electrician to re-wire.

9.Yes. Funds available for heater, etc.

I want to live in it but rental would work as well.

I will look into Habitat for Humanity. Good idea!

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 15 2024, 11:24

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 15 2024, 11:32
I also wondered about if it makes sense to tear down and build a pergola and nice retreat style area for family events and then put a tiny house there. May could rent a pergola type area out from time to time. Just not sure options.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 15 2024, 12:16

It is a peer and beam style home.

A good first move would be to get an arrow staple  gun and Staple some thick plastic over all of the windows on the outside and all over the holes on the walls on the outside and over the doors to keep the interior sealed . You can have workmen go up and put tarps up on the roof for you also to tarp the holes . To stop further erosion in the house . 

Another thing you could do if you wanted is to pay to have a home inspection done. They'll give you a written report of everything that's wrong with the house that they can find on an easy inspection . If you're planning on keeping it and repairing it that is . 

Also if you're planning on keeping it a sewer scope inspection would be an intelligent thing to do.

That will give you an idea of what you have , and some intelligent discussion material to talk to contractors about regarding finishing it up to a closed state and repairing it . new windows new doors new wallboard fix ceiling etc ...

Having a list of the problems made by an expert might make it a little bit easier to make the decision do you want to tear it down or do you want to make it a labor of love and restore it like Grandma had it - maybe with an air conditioning system in it and Hardiboard on the outside, and new windows et cetera...

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 15 2024, 14:40
Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 17 2024, 08:22

@Sarah Smith Are you allowed to tear it down as a historical site?  I've heard of restrictions for buildings on the historical register.  I agree with @Scott Mac that you should have an inspection done so you know exactly what your dealing with if you really want to rehab it instead of tearing down.  I also agree with the tarps on the roof and plastic stapled to the windows.  

From the pics, it looks like you'll have to have the building hiked up and the foundation repoured.  It also obviously needs a new roof and new drywall.  Probably needs completely new electrical box and wiring for safety.  The foundation, roof and electrical are all things you will want to hire a company to do.  As far as the interior projects, your family may or may not be able to do. Looks like interior frames of walls and are rotted out and need to be reframed.  There is quite a lot of wood rot on the exterior as well.  It's a project to restore, for sure.

As far as emergency housing, this obviously isn't going to work. If you are looking for temporary housing asap on this spot and it's a private lot, I'd get an estimate for water and sewer set up for one or two RV hookups. Sometimes you can get a small RV (used) for a fairly good price.  Alternatively, they can boondock (without hookups) and you can rent portapotties.  You'll probably need portapotties on the site anyway for construction workers.

If you aren't opposed to single or double-wides, that would be the next easiest considering foundations, sewer water, and permits are all possible .  If the lot is large enough and you can get the permits, you could create a small community for your family with a nice shared family area with a pergola and landscaping.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2024, 13:00

Any news on Grandma's house yet?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2024, 13:19

Some food for Thought.

Hardie board Mountain Sage.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 20 2024, 17:01

@Scott Mac Not yet. Here in Houston we had a tornado last week and no power until yesterday so had to take a time out on brainstorming but an inspector and contractor are going over there on Thursday so I have a better assessment. Your ideas and feedback and also feedback from @Kristine Ann were helpful.

Her home is only on county historical register for now but TX Historical Commission set a meeting w me for Wednesday to give me some ideas and resources as well. My main goal is preservation for future generations. I am a bit more hopeful because really do not want to demo it. 

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 20 2024, 19:49

@Scott Mac That sage color is gorgeous!

Keep us posted @Sarah Smith!

User Stats

Votes
Morgan Tondre
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 21 2024, 06:19
Quote from @Sarah Smith:

@Scott Mac Not yet. Here in Houston we had a tornado last week and no power until yesterday so had to take a time out on brainstorming but an inspector and contractor are going over there on Thursday so I have a better assessment. Your ideas and feedback and also feedback from @Kristine Ann were helpful.

Her home is only on county historical register for now but TX Historical Commission set a meeting w me for Wednesday to give me some ideas and resources as well. My main goal is preservation for future generations. I am a bit more hopeful because really do not want to demo it. 

Happy you're safe from the storm!!! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Smith
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 21 2024, 07:25

@Morgan Tondre  Thanks. Are you and your family safe? Need anything?

User Stats

Votes
Morgan Tondre
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 21 2024, 07:29

@Sarah 

@Sarah Smith Yes, all safe! Still no power at my place in Galleria but supposed to be restored today and we've been with family that does have power in meantime so lucky for that!! 

Also, in regards to the above posts, I'm with you on not demoing to keep preservation for future generations, so I hope all works out in that way!! 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 21 2024, 22:10
Quote from @Kristine Ann:

@Scott Mac That sage color is gorgeous!

Keep us posted @Sarah Smith!

Green- the color of money!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 8 2024, 08:41

How Is Grandma's house coming- any news?