Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Thomson
Pro Member
Votes |
Small but mighty vs expanding the portfolio

Jon Thomson
Pro Member
Posted May 12 2024, 08:34

Alright looking for some insights and opinions. I have a low price SFH LTR. I owe $84,000 on the mortgage. It currently cash flows $300 a month on a $1200 a month rent. Debating on what strategy to use as I try to grow my portfolio. Asking for the plus and minus of these 2 options.

Option 1: Save cash and pay off mortgage. Thought is triple+ cash flow with just one insurance, maintenance, and management cost. Take out HELOC on property and use that to continue to invest.

Option 2: Purchase additional properties and build portfolio 

I know that there are some tax implications to no having the mortgage payment to consider. Other then that I'm wondering on the downside of option 1?

Please share any and all thoughts

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Replied May 13 2024, 09:20

Overall I think paying off a mortgage isn't the way to go.  You have to pay the entire thing off before you see any change in your cash flow. If you had 84k laying around it would be a different matter.  

I would get a heloc set up either way if you qualify and have the equity for it. There's no reason not to get a heloc. You only pay on it if you withdraw the money. It's great because it opens up options.  You can save it for when you have a large repair or a vacancy.  Or can you use it for another investment.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Votes |
Travis Timmons#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Replied May 13 2024, 09:29

Keep on scaling with adequate reserves until you hit your point where you no longer want to grow. At that point, start stabilizing the properties, proactively spend some cash on big ticket items (roof, furnace etc. that you know are coming due) or upgrades, then start paying them off. Make sure you don't go too fast and keep the proper reserves, but start to get that snowball rolling downhill rather than paying the first one off.

Returns on real estate without leverage just aren't worth the hassle. An index fund is a better option...eventually, I'm a fan of paying them off and treating them like fixed income, but not now assuming that your financial house is in order and you like owning and managing real estate.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 13 2024, 23:39

@Jon Thomson I’d keep scaling with careful consideration to your reserves and funds. I’m currently scaling and working on growing my portfolio. I’ve gotten considerable appreciation building lots of equity. I pay a small extra amount towards the principal of the mortgages from the cash flow each month to help speed the process along.

I view real estate investing as a long game. While I’ve made great strides I expect it will be at least another 5-10 years before I get even close to where I want to be.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied May 14 2024, 02:06

@Jon Thomson You didn’t mention what your current mortgage rate was but no sense paying down or paying off a low rate mortgage just to then borrow from the same property at a much higher rate.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied May 14 2024, 04:34

Maybe you use the cashflow to pay down the principal and then use your personal income and savings rate to grow the portfolio. 

I ran some super rough numbers on this here calculator

(https://www.americanfinancing.net/mortgage-calculators/extra...

$300 additional each month should drastically decrease the time it takes to pay off your mortgage. 

A very low risk way to grow your portfolio. 

User Stats

Votes
Jon Thomson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 14 2024, 17:14
Quote from @Lynn McGeein:

@Jon Thomson You didn’t mention what your current mortgage rate was but no sense paying down or paying off a low rate mortgage just to then borrow from the same property at a much higher rate.

My rate is 7.5% so the difference would not be much either way. Good point though. Thanks for the input

User Stats

Votes
Jon Thomson
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 14 2024, 17:20

Thank you all for your input. I should have also mentioned that I am currently flipping to grow capital for investment. That was what I intended to use the HELOCs for as well, not longterm loans. Also I am investing more for cashflow. My W2 has a good retirement and I don't plan to try to leave it. I'm investing for cashflow and wealth asset growth.