Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Robinson
Votes |
Arbitrage in Charlotte

Jon Robinson
Posted Apr 29 2024, 12:39

Is there anyone out there using the rental arbitrage strategy in Charlotte? Just from taking a quick look around I found that there are less that 1000 STR's in the Charlotte area proper and was wondering if there are any restrictions as far as using a property for short term rentals. Any insight on this area would be very helpful. Thank you in advanced.

User Stats

Votes
Kasey Hardt
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Apr 30 2024, 05:48

Hi Jon!

My name is Kasey and I have a team, ROI Realty Partners and we specialize in helping investors! Charlotte and its surrounding areas (counties) have ample opportunity in the rental market. Regarding STR, there are restrictions, and they vary. For example, Iredell county (north of Charlotte) just passed a law that if you want to STR your home you need to rezone it. Regarding Mecklenburg (Charlotte) specifically, many HOAs have rental restrictions (such as a minimal lease requirement), which can make STR tricky. Many of our clients that are looking at STR are also looking at MTR as Charlotte is currently top 20 in the country for traveling medical professional demand (furnishedfinders), and we are currently one of the largest cities without a medical educational institution. That is all changing with the development The Pearl, which will also increase the demand for MTR as there will be more students, doctors, etc. coming to the city for months at a time. The Pearl is expected to start seating students in 2025.

Do not hesitate to reach out if you have more questions or would like more market information!

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 7 2024, 07:50

This seems right up your alley, @Lorien Rollins

The One Brokerage Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Evans Wright
Agent
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 7 2024, 10:08
Quote from @Kasey Hardt:

Hi Jon!

My name is Kasey and I have a team, ROI Realty Partners and we specialize in helping investors! Charlotte and its surrounding areas (counties) have ample opportunity in the rental market. Regarding STR, there are restrictions, and they vary. For example, Iredell county (north of Charlotte) just passed a law that if you want to STR your home you need to rezone it. Regarding Mecklenburg (Charlotte) specifically, many HOAs have rental restrictions (such as a minimal lease requirement), which can make STR tricky. Many of our clients that are looking at STR are also looking at MTR as Charlotte is currently top 20 in the country for traveling medical professional demand (furnishedfinders), and we are currently one of the largest cities without a medical educational institution. That is all changing with the development The Pearl, which will also increase the demand for MTR as there will be more students, doctors, etc. coming to the city for months at a time. The Pearl is expected to start seating students in 2025.

Do not hesitate to reach out if you have more questions or would like more market information!

Hey Kasey, just fyi Iredell county is in litigation because of the new zoning regulations and are not currently enforcing it.

"If you previously complied with the new regulations and applied for a permit; the County will not seek further enforcement of the permit(s) until receiving further order and/or direction from the court." Iredell county STR regulation page.

User Stats

Votes
Kasey Hardt
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied May 7 2024, 10:10

thank you! As we can all see, STR are making an impact. Curious to see how the rules and regulations are going to continue to change in the next few years!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 13 2024, 09:00

This is a great strategy for the area if you're close to the attractions in the city!

They could also work great for medium term rentals as well.

User Stats

Votes
Tasha Barnes
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 15 2024, 15:03
Quote from @Kasey Hardt:

Hi Jon!

Great information Kasey!!!