Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Olson
  • Investor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
Subleasing Cheap Rentals for Cash Flow

Jon Olson
  • Investor
  • Bellevue, WA
Posted

About three years ago while searching through Craigslist, I found a 3 BR/1BA rambler for rent in Bellevue, WA for way below market value.  The owners of the home live in Hawaii and did not even have a lease or ask for a security deposit. We wrote up a simple lease to sign and made sure we would be able to sub-lease it in the future, as we knew we would likely be finding a home for ourselves within a year. Sure enough, we found ourselves a fixer in nearby Kirkland and have been subleasing the rental the last 18 months. Rent is $1,900/month and we are subleasing it for $2,600 ($700 cash flow/month). We did make a few upgrades like painting all walls and cabinets, cleaning up all the trash outside (there was quite a bit), de-mossing the roof, and some landscaping improvements like putting in a path and adding planters. The owners paid for materials and we did the work ourselves. We think we can get close to $3,000/month, but decided not to increase rent on the current tenants this past year. My question is:  Is this wrong? We feel a bit of guilt like we are potentially taking advantage of the situation. Or is this a savvy way to generate cash flow? 

Loading replies...