Partnering with a seller on a Wholetail deal.

Partnering with a seller on a Wholetail deal.

Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 88 posts · 22 votes

I put in an offer yesterday on a home for $46000 the owner states they want $50000, they currently have it listed with a Realtor for $85,900. I was wondering why if he has it listed he contacted me, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. they stated their Realtor told them that if he can sell the home they will only charge the 3% commission vs the 6% he would pay if someone else sold it. They have had it listed on and off for about 3-4 years, the price always being much higher than it is now 90-110K. 17 homes have sold within a half mile, and 6 months for an average of $83000 and a median of $80000.

The home is in good shape it needs some minor updating to show well, and the people that are living there are disorganized. With the home owners, and mainly their stuff out, the house should sell very quickly as-is for a conservative 60-65K. With 5-10K in updating the home could easily sell for the median price or more but to be conservative lets say 10% under so about $70k. They own another home that they want to move into, but want this one gone first.

My thought is seeing if they would be willing to sell the home on terms amortized over 20-30 years with a 1 year balloon. Then sign a promissory note that when I sell the property after some renovations we would split the profits 50/50 after all expenses-my payments to them. So I would have a small payment to them, plus the other home expenses until I sold the home, but I would have a year to do it, and my profits would be conservatively 5k.

My other idea would be to wholesale the property normally, or find a money partner.

Any thoughts would be appricated.

0Reply
8 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    You say you put in a offer and if the seller accept your offer can you closed on the deal?

    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Danville, VA · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Hey Christopher,

    I'm a newbie, but do the sellers have any other motivation besides moving out of one house into another? Is the other home free and clear or are they paying two mortgages? Just don't want to see you spinning your wheels for nothing. Looks like they're shopping for a price having it listed with a realtor and then coming to you...

  • Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 88 posts · 22 votes
    12y
    Joe Gore do I have the $46000 to close? I do not my original intention was to wholesale the deal. I have not wholesaled before but my understanding is that generally you don't have the funds to close. My thought was I could make partnering with the home owner a win win, they would get more money with no work and I would as well
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Understood but you might need to give the seller $1000 to tie up the property while you look for a buyer.


    Joe Gore
  • Property Manager · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 309 posts · 115 votes
    12y

    I wouldn't offer them a piece of the profits. If they can afford to carry financing for you then just work-out some monthly payments. I'd try to work out interest only payments on a year balloon. If you arrange it that way then you might make a reasonable profit. I'm not that experienced so take my advice with that in consideration.

  • Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 88 posts · 22 votes
    12y
    Joe Gore I put $100 payment in the contract we'll see what they say. Brett K. Love the idea. I could maybe offer a little more and not split.
  • Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 88 posts · 22 votes
    12y
    David Totten sorry I kept forgetting to look at your name to @ you when replying. I've only spent maybe n hour with them so far. They are supposedly having someone else look on Sunday, I plan on calling them before and probably after then too. With a few months of my current jobs pay on the line it's probably worth a few hours of my time.
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Are you selling your contact or you going to try and sell the property.

    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Danville, VA · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Christopher Dumelle with you putting it that way... By all means! I hope all works out in your favor.

  • Belvidere, IL · Member since 2009 · 88 posts · 22 votes
    12y
    Joe Gore are you asking if I plan to assign the contract or double close? I put and or assigns after my name in my contract, so I believe I have either option, I'm open to both of them. David Totten I thought so, I make a decent wage it still takes a month or to to make 5-10k. Update, I'm playing phone tag today but it sounds like he verbally accepted the 46k from a voicemail he left. I just have to get in contact and get all my paperwork squared away. If he did accept, what's the next step bring the paperwork to a title company? Do we both have to be present? I've yet to get a contract accepted so I'm not %100 on the next step. Joe Gore & David Totten sorry about the delay, there was a glitch over the weekend and I did not have access to the forums, I tried to post replies like 10 times and finally decided something must have happened.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.