Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Phoenix Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anita Ahuja
  • Physician
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
1031 exchange process

Anita Ahuja
  • Physician
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Dec 29 2021, 13:02

HI . Planning on a 1031 exchange with 200k in phoenix. My question is can I do any real estate transactions w 1031 money or do I need specifically to buy the same type of investment that was sold? How is the fix and flip market in Phoenix? For experience investors, what would you do for best cash return? When I did the math of buying an investment property, say a 400k 3/2 with 50% down, the math quite frankly sucks! Cash flow is only about $300/month and don't get me started on the CoCROI ! What's an out of state investor to do? 

I live in the bay area, have 2 kids in private schools and one of them with special needs. Cash flow is my primary goal with appreciation secondary. 

Thanks!! Glad to be back to this forum! I heart Phoenix!

User Stats

Votes
Kay March
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Dec 29 2021, 13:06

If cash flow is your primary goal. consider high yielding REITs.

User Stats

Votes
Anita Ahuja
  • Physician
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Physician
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Dec 29 2021, 13:13

thank you @Kay March. I spoke to a Houston group that does REITs and they said they would not take 1031 money. Any idea if that is not a rule across the board?

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Mason Weiss
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Dec 29 2021, 13:13

Congrats on the $200K! For 1031 exchange, if you got your $200K from a business or investment property, then you would be able to buy properties for business or investment purposes but that could range from a SFR, multi-family, or commercial property. I would consider leveraging your 1031 equity as much as possible which could potentially increase your cashflow. $200k down could get you into a million dollar multi-family property with higher cash flow.

User Stats

Votes
    Kay March
    • Gainesville, FL
    Votes |
    • Gainesville, FL
    Replied Dec 29 2021, 13:30

If the REIT idea is no good, have you looked at doing a 1031 exchange into a Delaware Statutory Trust? Those are designed for 1031 exchanges.

User Stats

Votes
    Dave Foster
    Pro Member
    #1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
    • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
    • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    Replied Dec 29 2021, 14:30

@Anita Ahuja, You can use your 1031 exchange to invest in any type of actual real estate that you intend to use for investment.  The type does not matter.  The reason why REITS and most syndications will not work (@Kay March) is that you are not purchasing actual real estate.  You are purchasing a membership interest in an entity that owns real estate.  There is a process called a 721 exchange or an upreit that can be used once in a while to get into a reit.  But these are fews and there's some fatal flaws if you're wanting to defer your tax for any length of time.

Kay is spot on with her recommendation to look into DSTs if you're wanting to go passive.  They are basically a syndication whose structure has been blessed by the IRS for 1031 exchanges.  Other than that you can look at any type of real estate anywhere in the country for your replacement.

User Stats

Votes
    Kay March
    • Gainesville, FL
    Votes |
    • Gainesville, FL
    Replied Dec 29 2021, 14:41

@Dave Foster Thank you for mentioning the 721 exchange, or "UPREIT," as it seems to be called. A quick Internet search makes it look promising, if complicated, and it might interest @Anita Ahuja, since she says that she already contacted a Houston REIT group that does REITs (even though that particular group didn't do 1031 exchanges). I will be looking into it myself, so thanks again!

User Stats

Votes
    Leslie Pappas
    Pro Member
    • Professional
    • San Francisco, CA
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Professional
    • San Francisco, CA
    Replied Dec 30 2021, 22:17
    Originally posted by @Dave Foster:

Kay is spot on with her recommendation to look into DSTs if you're wanting to go passive.  They are basically a syndication whose structure has been blessed by the IRS for 1031 exchanges.  Other than that you can look at any type of real estate anywhere in the country for your replacement.

@Anita Ahuja, feel free to check out my blog here on BP for more info in DSTs. I help real estate investors re-invest their 1031 Exchange proceeds into DSTs.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/7993-cashingin-tax-free-1031-exchange-and-dsts