Buying Multifamily in Dallas- Finance Question-House Hack

Buying Multifamily in Dallas- Finance Question-House Hack

Professional · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hey Bigger Pockets Nation,

I'm actively searching to buy a 4-family in the Dallas area

-I have about 30k-50k for a downpayment ready to go

-1st property

-looking at off market deals

-I would be living in one of the units (owner occupied)

-Updating the units: kitchen, bathrooms, and adding in unit laundry

-Would refinance after a year

For financing purposes should I go through a small bank or a loan officer? Should I just put 5% down or what would you recommend? Also for those that have done off market deals do you just bring a contract with you when you meet? Do you put anything special in the contract? OR what would you have done differently?

Thanks team!

*Posted this in another form too

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Matthew Cassidy @Ronald Rohde has good suggestions. One thing I would add is that looking for 'off-market' properties can sound like the sexy thing to do in real estate, but the reality is unless you are 1) buying in cash or some near cash loan equivalent and 2) planning to look for off-market properties on a large scale, I think you will be spinning your wheels. The reasons that owners let properties go for below-market value rather than listing them with an agent is the speed and ease with which the transaction will be closed. There is nothing fast or easy about closing an owner-occupied 4 unit property with 5% down. You will have more luck looking at what the MLS has to offer and going from there.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I think you need to clarify, most people don't consider 4 units multi-family. From a lending perspective its 1-4 unit residential. That said, whats your monthly cash flow from your job? I'd put as little down as possible and plan to renovate the worst unit (the one you live in). As the leases expire, move into the worst units and keep rehabbing until all 4 are renovated and getting top rent. I posted your exact scenario on my YT channel :)

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Cassidy @Ronald Rohde has good suggestions. One thing I would add is that looking for 'off-market' properties can sound like the sexy thing to do in real estate, but the reality is unless you are 1) buying in cash or some near cash loan equivalent and 2) planning to look for off-market properties on a large scale, I think you will be spinning your wheels. The reasons that owners let properties go for below-market value rather than listing them with an agent is the speed and ease with which the transaction will be closed. There is nothing fast or easy about closing an owner-occupied 4 unit property with 5% down. You will have more luck looking at what the MLS has to offer and going from there.

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Cassidy since you are buying this as your primary home you will find a lot more options. Buying off market multi-family properties in DFW is really difficult. But you could certainly find a good 2-4 unit property and just use a standard FHA loan with 3.5%. Using a conventional loan would require 25% down. It's a big difference for sure. Feel free to ask anything additional if you need. Thanks!

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    If you will be living there, your best option is to get an FHA (203)k loan which will only require 3.5% down and you can roll the cost of the remodel into the loan.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Cassidy

    I’m in a very similar situation as you, not with quite as much cash on hand but I do have a bank not requiring any money down.

    I’m looking to house hack as well in a 2 / 4 unit MF. I’m interested to know how the last month has been for you?

    I’m finding it very difficult when I run numbers to cash flow. Is this the norm in Dallas?

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Justin Webber-Blackwell I am also having the same issue. I've been pre-approved for an FHA loan but the duplexes I've seen in class A and B neighborhoods do not cash flow. I also haven't seen anything more than a duplex in the Frisco, Plano, Carrolton, Richardson, McKinney, Celina, and surrounding areas.

    You could try Craigslist but it's a gamble. I've seen 2+ units in the Arlington area but haven't investigated further. I'd be interested in hearing any recent successes buying in the 2-4 unit range in the Dallas area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Blouse

    I’ve always heard it’s difficult to cash flow in Dallas and instead should aim for appreciation.

    I’ve also poked around on FB and with a couple wholesalers but these are full on rehabs which I wanted to avoid for my first property.

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Hello guys

    I have one house in a very nice neighborhood in N.Dallas. 4beds 4baths Duplex $450k. If this fit criteria, and you want more details, please let me know.

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Also it's off the market

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Cassidy   This is a tough find.  #1 we don't see a lot of off-market multi-family.   I always say there is not a lot of multi anyway in most desirable areas of DFW.  More and more of what I see is pricey, but that's not to say it is impossible, just rare it seems.  Don't forget on-market properties.  Those will probably be much easier to find.

    These days the better house hack seem to be buying a 4-5 bedroom 3bath house and rent rooms vs buying multi, so consider that option too.

    It's been 3 months since your post....so how is the search going?  Finding what you want yet?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.