Discount for Paying Property Taxes Early in Texas

Discount for Paying Property Taxes Early in Texas

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Just a reminder to check and see if your taxing authority gives you a discount for paying by October 31st.  I own several properties in Texas where I get a 3% discount for paying by October 31st.  1% per month is not a bad return on investment

1Reply
44 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Katy, TX · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 215 votes
    7y

    I don't know any taxing authority in Houston area that does that, anyone else?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    Just a reminder to check and see if your taxing authority gives you a discount for paying by October 31st.  I own several properties in Texas where I get a 3% discount for paying by October 31st.  1% per month is not a bad return on investment

     Wait WHUT?   I haven't heard of that.   That would be huge.  My tax bill is getting damn near $1m.  3% would save me close to $30k.  

    Are you talking about some small BFE towns or something?  All my bills are on HCAD and I've not seen that.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Cody L.

    There are several thousand taxing authorities in Texas and a low  percentage participate.  I do not believe any of the major metropolitan areas such as Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin participate

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    @Cody L.

    There are several thousand taxing authorities in Texas and a low  percentage participate.  I do not believe any of the major metropolitan areas such as Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin participate

     well that's a let down

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    7y

    @Greg H. can you provide a list of the ones that you know participate?

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @William E.

    Just look on your tax bill.  If a discount is offered it will list a different amount due for October, November, December reflecting the discount

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    Bell County does it. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
    7y

    It would be interesting to cobble together a list of those counties that offer this, even if they are all rural communities.

  • Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    Wilson County offers the following discounts:

    If paid in October, a 3% discount
    If paid in November, a 2% discount
    If paid in December, a 1% discount

    Kendall County, Boerne ISD and Comfort ISD offer early payment discounts. 3% if paid in October, 2% if paid in November and 1% if paid in December.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.