Taking a listing outside your market area Dallas, Houston, MLS

Taking a listing outside your market area Dallas, Houston, MLS

Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I just passed my Real Estate Exam and so I am a newbie here. Those of you who are realtors here, if I signed up for NTREIS or HAR, how do you sell between the DFW and the Houston area? Is it necessary to join both HAR and NTREIS? because joining both is about $900+ per year and it not really in my budget right now.  

Does the supra box/key work in both markets? Can I pull comps (CMA) with one MLS system?

My market area will be the DFW area but I have alot of connections in Houston as well.  

thanks

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
8y

not a realtor, but i am curious. in markets already overly saturated with realtors, why would you want to spread yourself so thin. pick and area and be the best and most active realtor for that area, then increase the size of the area as you become known.  

in my market (houston and some surrounding areas) I know the realtors that have their names on the signs and can call them up to simply ask about deals, and some call me before the deals show up on the mls. Be that guy that your investors can rely on in your area. 

just my 2 cents.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 136 votes
    8y

    not a realtor, but i am curious. in markets already overly saturated with realtors, why would you want to spread yourself so thin. pick and area and be the best and most active realtor for that area, then increase the size of the area as you become known.  

    in my market (houston and some surrounding areas) I know the realtors that have their names on the signs and can call them up to simply ask about deals, and some call me before the deals show up on the mls. Be that guy that your investors can rely on in your area. 

    just my 2 cents.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    because as I stated in the op that I have a lot of connections in Houston. I also go to Houston 3x a month. I don't plan on referring my families there.

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 368 posts · 102 votes
    8y

    Take a moment to understand what's going on in each market and find what the trends are. The biggest thing to watch for is job growth.

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    You will need to log in to the MLS specific for that area to run comps. I'm not sure if the boxes can cross over markets. But you can just buy one for each and label it.

    McCaw Property Management4.4905 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    You would need to join both boards if your plan is to operate in both areas. Obviously you must have access to both MLS's to see what's listed. Not as obviously, Buyer's Agent Commission is only offered to MLS members. Meaning that if you are only a member of HAR, and you represent a buyer on one of my listings here in DFW, I'm not required to pay your commission unless we have negotiated that before you ever show the listing. The Supra boxes are owned by each board. They won't want you using them out of area.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.