Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Texas Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric Lee
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Texas Residential Leae (TAR-2001)

Eric Lee
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Nov 1 2017, 18:16

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of screening tenants for my first rental property.  I asked my realtor if he had a copy of a lease I could reference or use, and he sent me a copy of the TAR-2001 form.  From what I've read, only real estate agents are authorized to use this lease.  I am not a realtor, but if my agent is involved in helping me with the leasing process, would I be able to use this lease? Would my agent need to "cosign" the lease in some way to make it valid since I'm not a realtor?

Reading through the TAR lease it seems very thorough and I like the content.  Worst case if I can't use this lease as a non-realtor, what if I retyped the entire thing into my own format.  Even if I kept a lot of the verbiage the same, would this be legal?

Thanks,

Eric

User Stats

Votes
Joanne Szewc
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Nov 2 2017, 08:49

Reach out to Texas Apartment Association, as if you are a member in your local chapter, it includes membership to TAA and they provide access to Blue Moon Forms, which allows you to use online TAR-2001 Form and then some.  Highly recommend it especially when not using a property management company.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Cummings
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Replied Nov 2 2017, 14:27

Eric

Find an Agent that does leasing and they can draft the contract for your Signature using the TAR Lease Contract Form.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Fred Heller
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 2 2017, 21:40

The TAR lease is copyrighted and the only people authorized to use them are TAR members.

If your Realtor gives you the lease in his capacity as your agent, then it should be fine. But keep in mind that if you're not trained in tenant/landlord regulations, you could make a mistake on the lease that could come back and bite you later.

User Stats

Votes
Waylon McCulloch
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Nov 3 2017, 09:10

To my knowledge you can cross out section 33-g, anything written over or taken out from a contract or lease would take precedence as long as you disclose that section is removed and have signature/intials on the lease.  By removing that one section the lease can be done without being a member of the board of REALTOR's.  Verify with an atty or property manager, but I've been told this by multiple people.

User Stats

Votes
Fred Heller
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 4 2017, 20:51

I am a property manager, and I guarantee you that no attorney is going to tell you to delete sections from the TAR lease and use it as your own. At the top of the TAR lease, it says very clearly that only members of the Texas Association of Realtors are authorized to use it. Under that is the copyright. 

Do unauthorized people use the TAR lease? All the time. Are they likely to get caught? Probably not. Is it legal and/or ethical? Absolutely not. And if I see one, I'm reporting your a$$ to TAR. I spend a lot of money being a member of TAR and I don't want to see anyone using a TAR benefit improperly.

@Eric Lee I tip my hat to you for trying to do the right thing. Your Realtor gave you the lease, and he/she is authorized to use it. If your Realtor gave you the lease in his/her capacity as your agent I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you're concerned about it, there are websites that sell state-specific lease forms. I know there are several in the BP marketplace. You can check there to buy a lease.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Lee
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 5 2017, 07:48

@Fred Heller Thanks for the info.  My realtor did give me the lease, and is willing to back that up in case questions ever arise, so sounds like I'm in the clear.

Thanks everyone else as well for your responses!

User Stats

Votes
John Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carrollton, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Carrollton, TX
Replied Nov 19 2017, 20:03

If you are looking at leases, I highly recommend TAA over TAR leases.  As a landlord TAA's leases are designed to protect the property owner and very clearly spell out the renter's obligations.  

User Stats

Votes
Heather Lavergne
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 2 2018, 12:26

I just signed up for TAA and the leases seem to be worded for apartments.  Am I missing something or do they have versions for Single Family Homes as well?