How are you finding tenants? Realtor VS Zillow

How are you finding tenants? Realtor VS Zillow

Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hi everyone. I realize this may be slightly more suited to the landlord forum, but I want to try to get a more local view.

I'm trying to rent out a condo at a slightly higher price point. $1900 for a 2 bedroom. Its priced a little high, but not outrageous for the market, especially for Morris County. I've listed on facebook marketplace, Zillow, and cozy which pushes it to realtor.com, trulia.com, and a couple others.

I've had a lot of responses from facebook, but 99% are dead ends after pre-screening. I have had some interest from Zillow, trulia, etc but not as much as I wanted. I am aware that price is a large factor, and I can always drop the price. 

My question is how is everybody finding tenants at higher price points? My view was to use free sites to save the tenant a realtor fee, but now I'm wondering if I should be going after tenants who have the money and don't mind paying it. So what say hivemind? Realtor or no Realtor?

Here is a link to the listing for anyone who may feel altruistic enough to look and give feedback. Thanks in advance.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 269 votes
    6y
    I'm sure others will have lots of good advice.  But one thing that surprised, even shocked, me was how effective "For Rent" signs are.  I'm not sure, but I think it works because people in the neighborhood see the sign, and know a friend or family member looking to rent, and they want that friend or family member to move into their neighborhood.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @George Pauley

    My HOA doesn't allow "For Rent" signs but I appreciate the advice. Thank you

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Andrew B.

    I find the best prospects through Zillow.  In my area most don’t go through a broker.  It doesn’t mean you can’t cooperate with a broker, if they bring you an acceptable tenant. I’m not sure at this time it’s best to push the rent at the high end.  The economy is struggling along and we are still in the pandemic.  If it sits on the market an extra 30 days and you could have lowered the rent $100 or $150 it would benefit you at the lower price.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.