Introduction - New Investor in Northern NJ

Introduction - New Investor in Northern NJ

Tenafly, NJ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 6 votes

Hello people,

I'm mostly making this post as an introduction and to put a flag in the dirt in terms of my intentions rather than a specific question. Of course I also want to meet good, smart, honest people and am very open to guidance and collaboration. 

I've live in North NJ (near the GWB) and have been slowly walking my money out of long equity positions over the last year, thinking quite a bit about alternative long-term investment strategies. I'm not talking huge money (I'm still going to be using leverage) but certainly enough to get started. I work in a totally unrelated field, I have most mornings and early afternoons free but have clients from 3pm to 8pm on week nights. This affords me a good bit of flexibility with my days. I have a degree in finance but don't work in the finance field. I'm minimally handy... I've refinished floors, tiled, painted, small electrical, minimal plumbing. I can figure most things out but I'm no master carpenter and my appetite for doing big projects myself is non-existent. I know my limitations.

I just finished the BP book on rental property investing and feel pretty good about that but still not totally sure it is or isn't the best strategy for me. I'm attracted to the long hold (given I suspect a market reckoning is immanent in the next year) and eventual large passive income potential but realize this has a longer/slower ramp money wise than some other strategies. Without going into details the end goal is significant stable wealth and solid passive income within 10 to 15 years. Who's isn't? 

I'm really just getting into things, learning how to look at properties, how to get data, what to pay the most attention to. My initial instinct is small multi-families (du,tri, quad-plexes) but there's not much inventory near me and what is available doesn't seem like the numbers add up. I've also looked at Philly, which is a few hours away, the initial prices are indeed much more reasonable and I have a niece there. I worry about owning remotely and all that comes with that, especially being so new to this. But I'm thinking I may need to look harder at it. 

I'm going to attend some local meetups but my hours being what they are, it's going to be a challenge as they're almost all weekday early evenings. And some seem a bit sketchy but I'll reserve judgement until I actually attend a few. I'm scheduling a banker visit to talk prequalification and parameters and a chat with a local RE agent I know but I'm not married to anyone. Looking forward to putting together a team. And looking forward to talking to all of you.

Thanks and cheer!

Philip

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · n/a · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 117 votes
6y

Welcome @Philip W.!  You came to the right place.  Sounds like you are much more handy than I am lol.  Next week I'll be painting and attempting to install some flooring on my first rental property, so we'll see how that goes.  I'm also from NJ, but live down in Monmouth County, and investing even further south in Ocean County.  

I'd recommend checking out the Bigger Pockets Real Estate Podcast.  I've learned more listening to that podcast than any book I have read and the stories are great.  Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · n/a · Member since 2019 · 143 posts · 117 votes
    6y

    Welcome @Philip W.!  You came to the right place.  Sounds like you are much more handy than I am lol.  Next week I'll be painting and attempting to install some flooring on my first rental property, so we'll see how that goes.  I'm also from NJ, but live down in Monmouth County, and investing even further south in Ocean County.  

    I'd recommend checking out the Bigger Pockets Real Estate Podcast.  I've learned more listening to that podcast than any book I have read and the stories are great.  Best of luck!

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 123 votes
    6y

    @Philip W. Good luck with everything. It is best you dont know much about the construction side of the business. Not having that skill will help you scale faster. I also recommend listening to the podcast. Good luck!

  • Property Manager · NJ · Member since 2017 · 786 posts · 396 votes
    6y

    Welcome @Philip W. wishing you much success as you jump into the world of REI! If you're up for a drive there is a group called flippers and funders that you can find in Northern NJ they host pretty solid networking events in West Orange, Jersey City and in NYC.

  • Tenafly, NJ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Brett Baginski

    Thanks Brett, I actually listened to one in my run this morning rather than my usual music. Not great for the run but was indeed very informative!

  • Tenafly, NJ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Vaughn Smith

    Thanks Vaughn! I’m up for a drive if it’s not on an early weeknight evening. That’s when I have clients generally. Let me know and hopefully We’ll meet.

  • Tenafly, NJ · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Ronny Tiburcio

    Thanks Ronny, that’s the first I’ve heard that NOT being handy is a positive! I’m getting less and less handy as the years pass, that’s for sure.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.