Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Jersey Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
Increasing Rent in Passaic, NJ

Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Posted

Good morning BP NJ!

I currently own 3 two-family properties in Passaic, NJ. I've never increased the rent on my tenants, but I'm thinking of implementing this strategy starting this year. Can anyone help me understand how rent increases work in our state? Is there a certain dollar amount? Percentage? Am I allowed to raise their rent without having done any renovations/improvements to the apartment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied

Good afternoon BP NJ!

I currently own 3 two-family properties in Passaic, NJ. I've never increased the rent on my tenants, but I'm thinking of implementing this strategy starting this year. Can anyone help me understand how rent increases work in our state? Is there a certain dollar amount? Percentage? Am I allowed to raise their rent without having done any renovations/improvements to the apartment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Soto
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied

Hi Dalwin,

I'm a real estate investor from Passaic NJ as well. Good to meet you. In Passaic specifically, there is a rent leveling board. You should call City Hall and get the specifics. I will answer your last question: yes you can raise the rent without any renos done to the house or the apartments. You have the following reasons that you can explain to the tenants: your costs have gone up, the market has heated up,  etc. Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Arthur Soto

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for that information! 

Since you invest in Passaic as well it would be great to share some tips with each other. How long have you been investing in Passaic? I've been investing in Passaic for almost 2 years now. We just closed on our 3rd 2-family and we're looking to keep growing!

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Soto
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied

Hey Dalwin, actually I've been investing in the greater Passaic area for about the same time. Congrats on the newest deal! I'm in the process of closing my 3rd prop (not counting my primary residence) but its in Garfield. I have properties in Wallington and Passaic. And yes, its good to network and share tips and advice via BP.

User Stats

Votes
Dalwin Garcia
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied

@Arthur Soto Congrats on your 3rd property! Hey, I'd love to pick your brain one of these days since you have experience in other markets outside of Passaic. 

User Stats

Votes
Stefan Tsvetkov
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied

@Dalwin Garcia Rent control in Passaic applies to much any investment property except: single family home, single condo/coops, owner-occupied 2-family and new construction. A 2-family investment property would thus be subject to rent control assuming the property has been registered with the town's rent control office.

You can find the town's rent control ordinance here: Passaic, NJ Rent Control Ordinance