Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Pero Konjevich
  • Flipper
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Tenant complains of foul smell

Pero Konjevich
  • Flipper
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Dec 15 2023, 10:01

I recently rented out a house to a couple that lost their house due to fire. It’s been constant nitpicking (he’s an engineer) the house was a complete rehab; nothing wrong with it. He called me this morning complaining of a foul smell that it is unlivable. He’s got an ozone generator working. I was just there- all I smell is ozone. I’m making an appointment to see about duct cleaning and have picked up some ozonium. Any suggestions? I’ve been around many smelly places and have no idea what the issue is here or if he’s using this as ammo to get out of his lease. Suggestions please

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Dec 15 2023, 10:05

Unless the smell is 1) identified as something specific e.g. gas, sewer gas in bathroom A etc 2) is a result of a problem with the house e.g. leaky pipe or faulty sewer trap then there's nothing to do. I'd simply say that unless he can point me to a specific location so I can investigate the cause then it is likely just environmental. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Dec 15 2023, 11:22

@Pero Konjevich, I would simply suggest that they contact code enforcement if they feel the home is uninhabitable. Let the municipality deal with their nonsense and tell them there is nothing that needs to be done. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!
Account Closed
  • Handyman
  • Monroe, WA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Monroe, WA
Replied Dec 18 2023, 23:38

We recently had a similar issue at a vacation rental we remodeled.

There was a wafting sewer smell that couldn't be anything other than "hint of poop."  Yuck.

After calling a plumber, he discovered the washing machine drain (recently added) didn't have a P Trap.

If you can access the crawlspace make sure all your drains have a P Trap and they are full of water.  Otherwise sewer gas can creep up and get into the house.  

If the tenant is looking to get out of his lease, you should encourage him to go.  Get a new tenant and say bye to the headache!

User Stats

Votes
Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 21 2023, 20:30

@Pero Konjevich, first I would make sure that you have a working carbon monoxide detector in the house, and upgrade it the kind that also checks for other gasses.  Just doing that might detect if something is there, but most likely it will just provide protection for you.  I would also at least have a plumber run over and do a check.  Even if he finds nothing have him document that in the bill to also cover yourself.  Sometimes they actually find something.  If your tenant really smells something it deserves to be checked out.  If your tenant is just being a jerk and you check it out it takes away a lot his ammo to break the lease.  Some people are also very sensitive to certain odors or chemicals.  What other people don't notice can be pretty bad for my wife.  So, make a good faith effort to check it out either way.  If it isn't resolved then unless there is a big reason not to, release him from the lease.  I would do it in writing to protect yourself.  Give a period of time like 30 days or 60 days to cancel the lease, then if not done it will remain in effect.  Just my thoughts.  Best of luck either way.

Oh I almost forgot.  I did have on case where the city wastewater plant (sewer plant) would do something that made the neighborhood smell for a few hours then go away.  That smell would linger for about 12 more hours inside the house after the smell went away outside.  Just a thought.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 21 2023, 23:35
Quote from @Pero Konjevich:

I recently rented out a house to a couple that lost their house due to fire. It’s been constant nitpicking (he’s an engineer) the house was a complete rehab; nothing wrong with it. He called me this morning complaining of a foul smell that it is unlivable. He’s got an ozone generator working. I was just there- all I smell is ozone. I’m making an appointment to see about duct cleaning and have picked up some ozonium. Any suggestions? I’ve been around many smelly places and have no idea what the issue is here or if he’s using this as ammo to get out of his lease. Suggestions please

Ozone generators should never be run with people or pets inside.

They are harmful to all living life.

Look it up on the internet.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Stempke
  • Investor
  • Palm Springs, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Palm Springs, CA
Replied Dec 22 2023, 12:29

Yikes!  I don't know what Chicago is like, but in California you can get taken advantage of with habitability lawsuits that are ridiculous.  

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 24 2023, 08:20

Hey @Pero Konjevich - I actually had a similar issue with a condo that I have on the North side of Chicago...so you are not alone.

I GUESS different people have different smell sensitivities because I felt the same way you did...I didn't smell anything.  I was going to do a SERIOUS OZONE treatment but then just opted to do duct cleaning and the complaining stopped after that.

I'd make some attempts like duct cleaning to help and then say it is what it is...

Also, has the tenant identified any specific area where the odor is coming from?

User Stats

Votes
Pero Konjevich
  • Flipper
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 24 2023, 09:42
Quote from @Scott Mac:
Quote from @Pero Konjevich:

Ozone generators should never be run with people or pets inside.

They are harmful to all living life.

Look it up on the internet.

100%