Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brittney Blanco
Votes |
Finder's Fee for bringing investor

Brittney Blanco
Posted

Hi there,

I am currently working with a developer who needed an investor to complete his projects...I found him one and we are finishing the deal. Does anyone know if the finder's fee is off of the debt or the new loan? Huge difference. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied

Finder's fees relate to what contracts you have in place. Your statement "Does anyone know if the finder's fee is off of the debt or the new loan? Huge difference." makes little sense to me because 1) we in BP Nation do not know your contract and 2) don't know your distinction between "debt" and "new loan". Please elaborate. About 13-14 years ago after the great recession I helped a developer land some development parcels using mostly his money and my expertise. He still owes me a few grand which I'll never pursue nor collect, which is ok with me. He was out of his league and lost more than I stood to gain. Live and learn. 

If you feel like your finder's fee is not applied correctly, 1) just ask the developer for compensation based on the contract, then 2) tell the developer to pay the agreed compensation, and if those fail, 3) make the developer pay your contractual compensation via small claims court order. 

That's the normal order of business. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied
Quote from @Brittney Blanco:

Hi there,

I am currently working with a developer who needed an investor to complete his projects...I found him one and we are finishing the deal. Does anyone know if the finder's fee is off of the debt or the new loan? Huge difference. Thank you.

receiving a finders fee to bring on an investor is against the law unless you are a licensed broker-dealer/investment advisor. If the deal were to go bad and the investor made a complaint and then found out you got paid raising funds for someone else you could end up in handcuffs and a jump suit. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Play the Gp role here, refer to your state laws on this. Make sure the way you are getting paid is legal.