Multi-Family Investing in Central Connecticut.

Multi-Family Investing in Central Connecticut.

Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes

Hello, I am interested in my finding my first multi-family deal upon the last year and half of research, I have recently kicked it into second gear and on course to obtain my first MF. I work full time, my company has an office in Middletown and Boston, my thoughts would be to owner occupy finance a home and house hack in either of those markets however most of my market research has been in the Middletown, Connecticut for its more affordable price point. As my work enables me to travel often, setting up a home residence would be a great way to begin investing especially since I could get friends to fill my portion of the residence with me.

Boston is quite expensive and positive cash flow seems unattainable unless I decide to add a lengthy commute into my life which seems to be a non option at this point. I have also looked into Glastonbury and West Hartford CT markets however the price points in these markets is already much too high to earn positive cash flow. 

Middletown, CT does not seem to be poised for too much growth with high unemployment figures and slower than national average job growth. However, I like certain aspects of Middletown, including its hipster downtown area, Wesleyan University, Middlesex Hospital and proximity to the river. I am worried I should not invest in a town (or potentially state for that matter) that appears as it is not on the path of growth. I do believe I would be able to ascertain positive cash flow (duplexes and triplexes for 125k-250k with reasonable rental rates $1200 or so per unit for 3BR/1BA) which keeps me interested. From the several properties I've dug into, my results yield positive cash flow. I am concerned with the state as a whole for several factors, high property tax (3.33%), bleak outlook, i am curious to know if this is worth jumping ship and time to look elsewhere or shall i keep digging?

Upon numerous mixed opinions I know certain people that swear away from it and some as Connecticut in general, and others who see its potential. The property prices have been somewhat stagnant I believe, even during the downtown. My question going forward is, is it worth investing in Middletown? How does Connecticut look as a whole. Is it worth looking at other markets in the country? Are my expectations and assumptions accurate? As a long term strategy, am I barking up the wrong tree? Would buying my first residence with owner occupied financing in Middletown, then move to another market for my next MF a reasonable strategy. Im at a bit of a cross roads, any incites would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. Chris.

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Christopher Kolasa:

Upon numerous mixed opinions I know certain people that swear away from it and some as Connecticut in general, and others who see its potential. The property prices have been somewhat stagnant I believe, even during the downtown. My question going forward is, is it worth investing in Middletown? How does Connecticut look as a whole. Is it worth looking at other markets in the country? Are my expectations and assumptions accurate? As a long term strategy, am I barking up the wrong tree? Would buying my first residence with owner occupied financing in Middletown, then move to another market for my next MF a reasonable strategy. Im at a bit of a cross roads, any incites would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. Chris.

Lots and lots of good thoughts, questions and commentary here, Christopher. You are clearly well studied in your local and state market. I commend you for "doing your homework" and not going in blindly. 

As a realtor, property manager and investor here in CT, I have no legitimate concerns that have stopped me from buying property in this state. While some macro economics do/will/can have an impact at the micro level, I believe that for the most part, we are far away from having an oversupply of housing. Like many other states, there is a significant shortage of affordable housing in Connecticut. By affordable housing, I don't mean S8, either. I mean housing for teachers, fire fighters, police officers, etc. Middle of the road income levels, basically.

While taxes can be a bit on the pricey side, CT is a bit more landlord friendly than NY and MA. Cashflowing properties are still available, and even pop up on the MLS from time to time.

I have often encouraged those who are working at the smaller scale (in terms of unit count) to not get too caught up with the macro economics. If your apartment is relatively well located, offers sufficient parking and is well priced, you should not have an issue renting it. 

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like to discuss in more detail!

Filipe

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Kolasa:

    Upon numerous mixed opinions I know certain people that swear away from it and some as Connecticut in general, and others who see its potential. The property prices have been somewhat stagnant I believe, even during the downtown. My question going forward is, is it worth investing in Middletown? How does Connecticut look as a whole. Is it worth looking at other markets in the country? Are my expectations and assumptions accurate? As a long term strategy, am I barking up the wrong tree? Would buying my first residence with owner occupied financing in Middletown, then move to another market for my next MF a reasonable strategy. Im at a bit of a cross roads, any incites would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. Chris.

    Lots and lots of good thoughts, questions and commentary here, Christopher. You are clearly well studied in your local and state market. I commend you for "doing your homework" and not going in blindly. 

    As a realtor, property manager and investor here in CT, I have no legitimate concerns that have stopped me from buying property in this state. While some macro economics do/will/can have an impact at the micro level, I believe that for the most part, we are far away from having an oversupply of housing. Like many other states, there is a significant shortage of affordable housing in Connecticut. By affordable housing, I don't mean S8, either. I mean housing for teachers, fire fighters, police officers, etc. Middle of the road income levels, basically.

    While taxes can be a bit on the pricey side, CT is a bit more landlord friendly than NY and MA. Cashflowing properties are still available, and even pop up on the MLS from time to time.

    I have often encouraged those who are working at the smaller scale (in terms of unit count) to not get too caught up with the macro economics. If your apartment is relatively well located, offers sufficient parking and is well priced, you should not have an issue renting it. 

    Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like to discuss in more detail!

    Filipe

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Christopher Kolasa I have had 4 different clients of mine buy owner occupant (house hack) multi-families in Middletown and Cromwell in the last year and all have done well. 

    You hit the nail on the head when you talked about some of the better areas within the city of Middletown where are the best to pursue properties. 

    Middletown is a unique rental market because it is one of the few places in CT where there are rentals convenient to all parts of the state. Think about it, if someone works on the shoreline, Hartford, New Haven, or west of the river in another suburban town Middletown is a convenient place to live. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Hey thanks Filipe Pereira! I'm glad to hear that you have no legitimate concerns. That is a good point about the undersupply of middle of the road income housing. One thing I love about Middletown is its a great blue collar town for the most part. I think you may have alleviated some concerns, I think I will have to keep digging. Have you been successful in finding deals away from the MLS? Would be curious to know more about your strategy! Thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Hey thanks Michael Noto! Good news about your clients, granted its only been one year but that's hopeful! I wish continued success to your clients on their investments! Your point about different neighborhoods in Middletown is a good one, and I'm back and forth with the adage: just because it's cheap doesn't make it a good deal. Agreed on Middletown's accessibility, it's a very convenient place to live (driving wise), and if you can get within downtown it could be great on foot as well. How have you seen the market change? Where do you see the most upside in the state? 

  • Investor · Middletown, CT · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    I like middletown, I grew up in Middlefield/Durham but I recently bought two rental property's in Middletown which I love, and am looking for more. I believe it is centrally located, an intersection of many main highways, the university and many business in town. If you head north towards hartford prices tend to jump considerably Also. Middletown is a much better choice than Meriden in my opinion.
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Hey thanks Sal Morello you bring up some good points! How long ago did you buy them? What sort of criteria were you looking for? 

  • Investor · Middletown, CT · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    I bought a 4 family at the end of 15 that I moved into, moved in a Roomate and house hacked for a little less than a year. 10 months After that a new house popped up and I grabbed it before it went on the market. I now live in the new 3 family which I love. Don't get me wrong I can't wait to live in a single family, but the thought of having to pay all be bills myself, dosnt help my cashflow to buy more properties. Side note- I am also a Heavy Highway / Bridge Engineer in CT. We also have a local meet up on Wednesday 10/18, at 7pm at Wooden Tap in Rocky Hill.
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    @Sal Morello that is awesome!! Both the bridge engineer and the multi purchases. Too bad the meet up wasn't this week! I think I will be out of state on the 18th. How did you find out about the new house that hit the market?

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    There will be a meet up tomorrow 10/10 at Right Trac financial in Manchester at 6pm!

  • Ryan PleszPro Member
    Flipper · Lebanon, CT · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hi Filipe, 

    What type of meetup is going on today at Right Trac? Are there specific topics being discussed or just what ever people bring up?

    Thanks

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Typically there is a speaker of some sort, but after a few months of that we decided to make tonight an "open forum" / round table. Folks can bring their own questions and we will all try to help out each other. 

  • Investor · New Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 104 votes
    8y

    I will be attending tonight as well, it has been well covered above. Although as a not so new newbie I can say these guys really know there stuff and the trip would be worth your time. Hope to see you tonight. 

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Kolasa:

    Hey thanks Filipe Pereira! I'm glad to hear that you have no legitimate concerns. That is a good point about the undersupply of middle of the road income housing. One thing I love about Middletown is its a great blue collar town for the most part. I think you may have alleviated some concerns, I think I will have to keep digging. Have you been successful in finding deals away from the MLS? Would be curious to know more about your strategy! Thanks.

     Hi Chris, 

    Just circling back around to this now for whatever reason. Yes, my first deal was off the MLS. My next one was on the MLS. I'd have another off market deal right now if I had the money, but I don't, so I'm helping other investors (mostly out of state, some out west, and some closer, like NY) buy them up with the hopes that they will then ask us to manage them!

    My off market deals have come up by talking the talk with sellers (and finding out they have other properties) as well as direct mailing to folks who have a high number of properties that were purchased 20+ years ago. This typically indicates older in age as well as higher equity. 

    Hope that helps!
    FP

  • Ryan PleszPro Member
    Flipper · Lebanon, CT · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Hey guys was a great Meetup very informative. Are the Meetup's usually on the same day each month. Just wondering when the next one is so I can put it on my calendar. Thanks! 

  • Property Manager · Windsor Locks, CT · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Yep, usually second Tuesday of the month. Next one is 11/14 6pm.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.