New investor ready to purchase first investment property

New investor ready to purchase first investment property

Investor · UT · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 6 votes

Hi fellow BP members, I am a new investor from UT and looking to make some connections and build my team to buy and hold properties in the midwest. We'd like to start off by investing $100k in OOS markets, preferably: Kansas City MO, Indianapolis IN, and Columbus OH but open to other markets with low entry and good appreciation. I have researched the different strategies like BRRR but since its our first investment and based on what many have pointed out, it's difficult to BRRR from OOS. Being a new investor and not having a team setup, our other option would be to work with a turnkey provider so that we can get our feet wet and get the ball rolling. I realize that turnkey won't have any equity available to scale quickly like doing BRRR but we just want to get started.

Here are the questions I have to help us nail down our strategy:  

1. if we go turnkey, I realize there are PM costs involved and likely no upfront equity available, how long will I have to wait before I can refinance to pull out the downpayment that I put towards it so that I can scale and buy my next property? 

2. would it be better for me to work directly with a realtor in those markets instead of going with a turnkey provider and look for decent properties that don't require any rehab and work with PM to get it rented out? I just worry that if I go this route since I am new, it may be hard to find a good PM that can work with me to help get the property rented out quickly vs. a turnkey provider already has that system in place and can potentially get the property rented out sooner. 

3. once I buy my first property, how long do I have to wait before I can get a new loan for my next property? 

4.Can we purchase multiple properties at the same time or would that affect the DTI heavily making it difficult to obtain multiple loans?

Looking forward to hearing what others think. Thanks in advance!

4Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
5y

@Sarah Lu you have a great plan in place, and a nice chunk of change to get it rolling. Hopefully this helps.

1: you can refinance at any point, however if you have no upfront equity you will be waiting on market appreciation/ debt pay down to create the ability to pull money out. 

2. If you can find a realtor in the area that works with PM's that would be the go to.

3 & 4. As long as your DTI is in check you can get the loans at the same time. However if you are looking to use the income from rents to discount the 1st loan you will need it rented out, and depending on the lender a couple months of rent flowing in.

The team I work with in Boise mostly solves the issue you are talking about in #2. You work with a realtor, and then as closing draws near the PM side is ironed out, and after closing takes over and the ball starts rolling day one.

Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Lu you have a great plan in place, and a nice chunk of change to get it rolling. Hopefully this helps.

    1: you can refinance at any point, however if you have no upfront equity you will be waiting on market appreciation/ debt pay down to create the ability to pull money out. 

    2. If you can find a realtor in the area that works with PM's that would be the go to.

    3 & 4. As long as your DTI is in check you can get the loans at the same time. However if you are looking to use the income from rents to discount the 1st loan you will need it rented out, and depending on the lender a couple months of rent flowing in.

    The team I work with in Boise mostly solves the issue you are talking about in #2. You work with a realtor, and then as closing draws near the PM side is ironed out, and after closing takes over and the ball starts rolling day one.

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Happy to connect!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Glad to have you as a part of this community, Sarah! You found the right place for information!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sarah Lu:

    Hi fellow BP members, I am a new investor from UT and looking to make some connections and build my team to buy and hold properties in the midwest. We'd like to start off by investing $100k in OOS markets, preferably: Kansas City MO, Indianapolis IN, and Columbus OH but open to other markets with low entry and good appreciation. I have researched the different strategies like BRRR but since its our first investment and based on what many have pointed out, it's difficult to BRRR from OOS. Being a new investor and not having a team setup, our other option would be to work with a turnkey provider so that we can get our feet wet and get the ball rolling. I realize that turnkey won't have any equity available to scale quickly like doing BRRR but we just want to get started.

    Here are the questions I have to help us nail down our strategy:  

    1. if we go turnkey, I realize there are PM costs involved and likely no upfront equity available, how long will I have to wait before I can refinance to pull out the downpayment that I put towards it so that I can scale and buy my next property? 

    2. would it be better for me to work directly with a realtor in those markets instead of going with a turnkey provider and look for decent properties that don't require any rehab and work with PM to get it rented out? I just worry that if I go this route since I am new, it may be hard to find a good PM that can work with me to help get the property rented out quickly vs. a turnkey provider already has that system in place and can potentially get the property rented out sooner. 

    3. once I buy my first property, how long do I have to wait before I can get a new loan for my next property? 

    4.Can we purchase multiple properties at the same time or would that affect the DTI heavily making it difficult to obtain multiple loans?

    Looking forward to hearing what others think. Thanks in advance!

    For questions 3 and 4 I would recommend you reach out to a local lender. They will be able to give you all the information you need on the lending side. I have some great referrals in Ohio that I can refer to you.

    I started purchasing real estate in Columbus, Ohio in 2017

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Lu, welcome to BP! Wishing you future success :)

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    For a lot of those questions, a lender would be helpful in answering them. As far as the turnkey provider goes. If you do a little more work to build your team you will save more equity. It also depends on the market, here in COlumbus turnkey providers don't really exist because the volume of inventory they need is not met. @Sarah Lu

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Sarah Lu

    Welcome to the BP!

    This is a great forum with very knowledgeable members that will help to guide you in the right direction, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance. You will be able to share your story and receive plenty of helpful feedback from experienced members.

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides


    Alerts can be really helpful too: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sarah Lu:

    Hi fellow BP members, I am a new investor from UT and looking to make some connections and build my team to buy and hold properties in the midwest. We'd like to start off by investing $100k in OOS markets, preferably: Kansas City MO, Indianapolis IN, and Columbus OH but open to other markets with low entry and good appreciation. I have researched the different strategies like BRRR but since its our first investment and based on what many have pointed out, it's difficult to BRRR from OOS. Being a new investor and not having a team setup, our other option would be to work with a turnkey provider so that we can get our feet wet and get the ball rolling. I realize that turnkey won't have any equity available to scale quickly like doing BRRR but we just want to get started.

    Here are the questions I have to help us nail down our strategy:  

    1. if we go turnkey, I realize there are PM costs involved and likely no upfront equity available, how long will I have to wait before I can refinance to pull out the downpayment that I put towards it so that I can scale and buy my next property? 

    2. would it be better for me to work directly with a realtor in those markets instead of going with a turnkey provider and look for decent properties that don't require any rehab and work with PM to get it rented out? I just worry that if I go this route since I am new, it may be hard to find a good PM that can work with me to help get the property rented out quickly vs. a turnkey provider already has that system in place and can potentially get the property rented out sooner. 

    3. once I buy my first property, how long do I have to wait before I can get a new loan for my next property? 

    4.Can we purchase multiple properties at the same time or would that affect the DTI heavily making it difficult to obtain multiple loans?

    Looking forward to hearing what others think. Thanks in advance!

    Sarah, awesome that you joined!

  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    5y

    Hi Sarah! Welcome to BP and RE industry. I have my first Turnkey here in Indy. It's actually good where you're head at now. Would love to chat with you and share my experiences if you're interested.

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    You can certainly purchase multiple properties at once so long as the numbers work. I would recommend working with a lender licensed in all the states you are buying so you don't have to coordinate between lenders. It can get complicated really quickly to purchase multiple properties with different lenders. 

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 46 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Lu Happy to help you get started in KC. Just got two clients under contract on thier first property within 4 weeks! Happy to share everything I have learn along the way and can relate to investing out of state (that's how I started)

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome aboard Sarah!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y

    If your goal is to pull out equity in a short period of time you need to be looking at the BRRRR strategy. Turnkey, no matter which market you choose is not going to get you where you are trying to go on the equity front.

  • James BrownPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 26 votes
    5y

    We work with a lot of W2 employees that want to invest but don't have the time, knowledge, marketing systems or crews to dive in super deep into flipping or wholesaling. And don't want to deal with the headaches of regular renters or paying for property management. The ROI is great too. I'm happy to share our investor overview video if you DM me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.