Newbie from Boston, Massachusetts (actual Boston, not "Boston")

Newbie from Boston, Massachusetts (actual Boston, not "Boston")

New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes

Gooooooooooooood Morning Bigger Pockettttttttttttttts!!!!!!!!

(it's actually the evening)

I am Timmy Walsh, and as the title says I am from Boston, like the city of Boston. Most people name a town in their state, and then when whomever they are talking to has no idea where that is, they name the nearest city. Well, the same is true for pretty much anyone from Massachusetts. I'm from xxxx. where? ......Boston. Well I actually do live in Boston,  East Boston to be specific. My wife and I ( as of this post, we've been married 45 days, yes we had a Covid wedding with roughly 15% of our original guest list), sort of fell into real estate investing. We bought a fractional  Condo at a 5-Star ski mountain resort in central New Hampshire, we closed December 2019. 

It's a full ownership condo resort, with loads of amenities. Built in 2016, and when we bought our portion, we were the last 2 bedroom available for purchase. The specs on it: 2 bedroom lockout condo, we own 1/6 of a year (we have 7 days every 6th week). We have the option to stay every week we own, split our week with staying and renting, or renting our entire week. We can short term rental it, but we have to property manage it on our own: calling the resort to tell them who is staying, and for how long. We keep the whole rental amount less the housekeeping/booking fees. We can also have the resort handle all bookings, and managing guests, less their fee (which totals 55%). We chose the resort handle option so it is completely hands off, and collect a check the 3rd week of the month following our week. 

The numbers: we own 63 days this year (9 weeks x 7 days). On a 50% occupancy we begin cash flow on the 33rd day of the rental year that we have it rented. In the 3 years the resort has been open they average 72% occupancy, so you can see why we were so intrigued. 

We loved the resort and had stay their a few times because it was an awesome place and in a great community area, 2 hours from our home. On a whim we said to each other: I wonder what it costs to buy here. 3 hours later, we had gone to the real estate office, got the numbers, went to lunch, signed a contract put a deposit down and popped a celebratory bottle of Cava (aka Spanish champagne, fyi we're huge Cava fans, not champagne.)

Even with Covid, and us missing 3 whole weeks of rentals this year, we just turned a profit with our most recent week in September and we still have 2 weeks left this year. Needless to say we (I am) are pumped that we went out of our comfort zone and purchased it. It's very family oriented and there are tons of amenities and incentives to stay as well as bonuses for friends and family. 

I'm not sure if you're supposed to include that kind of info in the intro, but that's our first venture into REI.

I am a union pipefitter for my W2, which in layman's terms means I do HVAC construction. A lot of pipe welding. We do large scale HVAC systems for hospitals, schools, high rise buildings, and pretty much any pipe that carries any pressure. 

My wife, Liz, is an Interior Designer. She does corporate office construction and she's amazing with design, autocad, and she just has an eye for things that are homey and pleasing. 

I have a background in pretty much anything that involves creating things, I have an associate's degree in sheet metal fabrication, autobody, and custom painting, and I worked for a very high end finish carpenter on Cape Cod. 

We're living in a luxury apartment complex (on the A to A+ side from what I have learned from the podcasts), on Boston Harbor, loving where we live but we are ready to start a family and move out of the city. Liz is pretty adamant about buying our forever home first (she's open to house hacking, although she doesn't know the term yet), but I am slowly working real estate knowledge on her to get us into a fixer upper that we can either BRRRR or flip.

I found bigger pockets through a podcast rabbit hole starting with stock investing, then crypto investing, and then podcasts on learning, knowledge retention, then learning faster and more compact, then growing your personal net worth, then real estate, then moved to youtube podcasts then found an audiobook recap of David Green's Long distance real estate investing and then finally Bigger Pockets. 

I worked my way through the entire Real Estate Rookie with Ashley and Felipe, and then moved to the main podcast, and went to episode 200 and have been sort of cherry picking episodes here and there on what's interesting to me because I don't want to get to the analysis paralysis point and lose interest. 

I think right now, I want us to look for a 2 bed room 1 bath house with at least 1100 square feet that we can turn into a 3 bedroom 2-2 1/2 bath house and then rent and refinance, take our cash out to use that toward our next home, probably somewhere we can stay and grow. (Happy wife, happy life right?!?!?) 

I have tons of ambition and know the value of hard work and failure, when I first got into the Pipefitter's union I spent over 3500 hours learning how to weld (40 hours a week for 18 straight weeks, with NO PAY) before I was able to take a certification test, and then after that, I was able to get on the list to go to work. 

Financially, we need to get our debt to income ratio, and outstanding debt in a better place (we paid for our wedding ourselves and it was an amazing wedding regardless of Covid restrictions), we are in our apartment until September 2021, and will likely rent for about a year after that while we pay down debt/save up some cash.

I'm fascinated with all the different ways that people can make money in REI, and can't believe how much information is available for FREE on the BP network, and am amazed how many of the people I know don't know or haven't heard about Bigger Pockets.

I probably shared too much, and our options might change before we leave our apartment, but I'm just ready to start our new chapter that including financial freedom, and a bajillion partnerships with lots of members here. 

I am interested in turning 2/1 into 3/2, partnerships, maybe some syndications? I think right now our goal will be to cash flow enough to pay for the mortgage on our forever home, which will likely be $3500-4000 per month because of the size house and amount of land we eventually want. I would think right now that would equal a few 10 unit apartments, or maybe a couple 20-30 unit apartment buildings, which will limit the amount of work we need to do to manage, and limit the amount of dormant money in vacancies and evictions. Again that could change but we need to start somewhere! 

Thanks to Brandon, David, Mindy Josh, Ashley, and Felipe for all the episodes I have listened to so far because I have about 6 pages of books to read, notes to revisit and things to remember. 

and now: Bigger Pockets!

To quote Felipe: Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Pelham, NH 路 Member since 2010 路 90 posts 路 51 votes
5y

@Timothy Walsh Welcome to the community!  There is no such thing as too much info on these types of pages.  No one is forced to read what you write.  I love the energy in your post and encourage you to do everything you can to keep that up as you venture deeper into this world.  I also read your deal diary entry.  Since this is your first year with the property, do yourself a favor and track your costs and income, especially if you really want to treat that property as an investment.  After plowing through as many podcasts as you have already your probably already have a decent sense of how to go from here.  Once you know the "numbers" it will make looking at deals easier going forward because you have a benchmark to compare it to.  I don't personally know anyone that is running the "2/1 to 3/2 conversion" game locally, but I am sure they are floating around the BP world somewhere.  Keep up the enthusiasm and keep in touch with the BP network.  I wish you the best.  Happy Investing!

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Pelham, NH 路 Member since 2010 路 90 posts 路 51 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh Welcome to the community!  There is no such thing as too much info on these types of pages.  No one is forced to read what you write.  I love the energy in your post and encourage you to do everything you can to keep that up as you venture deeper into this world.  I also read your deal diary entry.  Since this is your first year with the property, do yourself a favor and track your costs and income, especially if you really want to treat that property as an investment.  After plowing through as many podcasts as you have already your probably already have a decent sense of how to go from here.  Once you know the "numbers" it will make looking at deals easier going forward because you have a benchmark to compare it to.  I don't personally know anyone that is running the "2/1 to 3/2 conversion" game locally, but I am sure they are floating around the BP world somewhere.  Keep up the enthusiasm and keep in touch with the BP network.  I wish you the best.  Happy Investing!

  • Investor 路 Campton, NH 路 Member since 2010 路 285 posts 路 143 votes
    5y

    Nice one, @Timothy Walsh - glad you found BP, Josh, Brandon and co have done a great job of keeping it high-integrity and conveying the importance of doing the right thing! Feel free to reach out if you need input on deals, ideas and motivation etc - not an easy business but you can speed up your learning curve and avoid mistakes by aligning yourself with more experienced investors! Onward!  :)

  • Rental Property Investor 路 MA 路 Member since 2014 路 420 posts 路 213 votes
    5y

    Welcome @Timothy Walsh

    Originally from Everett.  Living in the burbs on 495 now.  Good luck out there!

  • Realtor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2014 路 159 posts 路 75 votes
    5y

    Hey @Timothy Walsh, welcome to BP.  I love your story and journey into the world of Real Estate Investing.  I grew up in Dorchester but hung out in Winthrop and Revere a lot as a kid.  I went to school in Wakefield and love the North Shore.  If you ever have a question or just want to chat, send me a DM.  And congrats on the wedding.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Dan Milinazzo

    Thanks Dan. I'm making myself start this week to figure out how to calculate rehab costs and potential prices for adding an additional bedroom and bathroom.

    What areas are you investing in, and what type of properties?

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Richard Dale-Mesaros

    Hi Richard,

    I agree with that they have done a great job putting everything together, and it seems like Josh really stuck it out for the long haul after facing some turmoil in the beginning. Something we are all benefitting from.

    I am sure I will be reaching out in the future, right as they say, I don't know what questions I have right now!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Member since 2019 路 285 posts 路 149 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh welcome! It's nice to see more east coast guys joining BP, it sounds like you have a lot of enthusiasm for RE investing which is awesome. I definitely agree that finding a house hack is a great way to start, the fact that both you and your wife have skills that can apply to RE investing is a big plus. Good luck with your journey, don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need anything.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Sean T.

    Awesome man. Everett won't be long before it's the next area to see some upgrades to rental areas. I worked at the Casino during construction a lot and could just see the potential for beautifying the neighborhoods so close to Downtown.

    Love it out on the 495 corridor, I have friends all along there: Westborough, Franklin and Bolton. Would love to have 5+ acres anywhere along the loop someday.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Howard Herrington

    Thanks for the kind words Howard, I'm originally from the Cape, but now I spend alot of time driving the North Shore. I do my long weekend runs up into Winthrop because it's such a beautiful area.

    I have some friends in Rhode Island. I would love to chat sometime to talk shop once I have a better handle on terminology and what routes I'm interested in. What type of Real Estate are you into? Single Family, multi Family?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 East Wenatchee, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    5y

    Welcome, Timmy! Nice intro!

    Lots of A+ and luxury.  Nothing wrong with that, just tougher during our accumulation phase.

    I hope you guys decide on reasonable and ROI vs forever on your first primary like you're thinking. Glad to have you馃憤

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Cody Barna

    Thanks Cody. I agree we need more Northeast people up in BP! I feel like too many people here are old school and are too stubborn to ask for help, or they are so deep routed in their father's friend or their uncle who got burned in real estate that no one looks into it. I grew up knowing hard work but I'm realizing now that hard work isn't a one dimensional definition that only means trading time for money. I want to trade money for money and spend my time how I want it.

    I'm sure I'll reach out in the future. Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Member since 2019 路 285 posts 路 149 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh no worries, I couldn't have described the NH demographic any better.

  • Contractor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2018 路 38 posts 路 16 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh Welcome to BP! I'm fairly new here myself and it's been an Invaluable resource. I've also been through several books and tons of podcasts here, all have been super helpful. I've learned so much about tons of different strategies. I grew up in Eastie (East Boston) and it's amazing what they've done, I've seen it come a very long way. The triple decker condo-conversion game is very popular there, as in Southie. I live in Winthrop, it sounds like you must run right by my house, funny. Good luck on your journey!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Rob Ferdinand

    Awesome man! Would enjoy a chat on renovations if you have any experience. I'm having trouble find out out how much to calculate costs to fix up. I used to work for a contractor but I never knew the costs associated.

    Maybe we'll have to grab a beer or something sometime. Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

  • Boston, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 209 posts 路 126 votes
    5y

    Welcome! I didnt grow up around here and I also think its funny that all those friends in College who were "From Boston" were from as far away as Greenfield! I live and work in Boston (Beacon Hill) and have been doing most of my personal investment properties on the Cape. 

    Sounds like we would have a lot in common and I would be happy to connect sometime. I get the idea of 'dream home' for first home, but I would advise against it. Sure there are a lot of RE reasons not to do it, but a big reason is just that you don't always know what you want until you actually live in it, and even then once you get kids, its a whole different set of wants/needs. 

    Besides with the construction and interior design stuff you guys should love to take on a fixer upper. Remember, you don't make money when you sell, you make money when you buy.

    Hit me up and lets grab coffee or a beer sometime.

  • Ray HurteauPro Member
    Developer 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2013 路 128 posts 路 66 votes
    5y

    Hey @Timothy Walsh, feel free to reach out/connect and I can share some info from what we've seen over the past years.  We've done gut renos and ground up 2-4 unit buildings - finished product was condos.  We also have some rentals.  Prices vary based on the end product.  

    What hasn't changed over the years is that construction costs just keep going up, so you can very likely save money if you put in sweat equity.  My wife and I house hacked a 2 family about 5 years back and probably saved ~15k.  We moved out last year and now it cash flows nicely to help pay a part of the mortgage of our new home.

    Welcome to the forum!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Ray Hurteau

    Ray, sounds great. I'm (obviously) new into the process of Real estate in general, but I have definitely heard of costs going up. I agree with you on the sweat equity and I am no stranger to it. My wife has me building shelves, furniture or creating pieces for our apartment and I have a limited amount of tools at my disposal, and still save money versus just buying the end product.

    I have some more due diligence to do, but you're absolutely someone I need to talk to when I have gained some more traction in the analyzing process.

    Glad to be here!

  • Lender 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2018 路 171 posts 路 137 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh Great share - and welcome! I'm also a former Eastie resident, now living in Southie.

    my wife and I have spent the last 3 years house hacking in Boston, and it's the best decision we could have made.

    To @Ray Hurteau point, construction costs are absurd, and right now, we choose to do as much work ourselves. This certainly helps as we are able to keep costs down. The tradeoff is our time - which we are working to grow out of as we scale.

    Happy to help anyway I can - and best of luck to you and your wife. Also, congrats on the marriage!

  • Investor 路 Biddeford, ME 路 Member since 2020 路 29 posts 路 6 votes
    5y

    Hi @Timothy Walsh 

    Awesome introduction you can feel the passion in the post! Went to school in Boston (Longwood medical area) - but can't say I'm from there! Great to read about your first move in REI. Best of luck to you moving forward, I'm sure we will cross paths in the future. Looking forward to seeing your journey.

  • Investor 路 Natick MA 路 Member since 2014 路 214 posts 路 118 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh Welcome. I'm a full-time investor out of Framingham but currently doing projects in Dorchester, Roxbury and the suburbs. Let me know if I can help in any way. Since you love podcasts I highly recommend @Ray Hurteau's The Real Estate Addicts podcast. A lot of great information from local people and 3 awesome hosts. 

  • Investor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 55 posts 路 50 votes
    5y

    Hi Timothy. I'm an Investor and live in Boston. House-hacking is a great idea, especially where you're at in life. I've helped 3 people pull-off house-hacks in Boston and the surrounding areas. Wishing you the best of luck! Let me know if you need anything. Happy to have you apart of the community. 

  • Ray HurteauPro Member
    Developer 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2013 路 128 posts 路 66 votes
    5y

    Hi @Enis Shehu, thanks for kind words and the shoutout about our podcast!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2020 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    5y

    @Ray Hurteau I agree with @Enis Shehu the podcast is fantastic. I listened to a ton of Bigger Pockets but the REA podcast is awesome because it's local, and especially since we can't be 4 families around Boston for $40k. I've been cramming the podcasts and I'm already on episode 22. Will likely be reaching out to you guys soon to bounce some ideas.

  • Solo 401k Expert 路 Anaheim Hills, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 18k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh

    Welcome to the BP family, you came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing!

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    I hope BP helps you achieve your goals!

  • Realtor 路 Boston, MA 路 Member since 2018 路 24 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Walsh Welcome to the community it sounds like you have great ambitions and have taken the time to educate yourself. I understand you wanting to take time to pay down debt, so your DTI improves to qualify for more money. You should also consider how much putting down the extra money that an additional year of rent will save you vs. how much borrowing an extra few thousand dollars actually costs you in the long run. With current rates so low the benefits of saving an extra year may not mean so much in the scheme of a 30 yr mortgage, and you will not be able to recover the money spent on rent in a (A/A+) area. Something to consider, but it is your personal preference. Let me know if you have any questions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.