Looking to build a team in Rochester, NY or Washington, DC

Looking to build a team in Rochester, NY or Washington, DC

Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hello! It's great to be joining such a talented and knowledgeable community. Looking forward to engaging with you all here. 

I thought I'd use this uncertain time to lay the groundwork, meet likeminded professionals who have expert knowledge to share, and figure out if this is truly right for us. 

If all goes well, I'd hope to pursue our first purchase sometime this year or next. As new investors, we'd potentially be looking to buy and hold single-family rentals or smaller multi-family homes.

Right now, my wife and I are considering two markets, mainly due to personal familiarity. We're open to other places, but figured we should just start with what we know and go from there.

I was encouraged to see Rochester, NY rank so highly on BP's analysis of top cashflowing markets, because my wife is from the Finger Lakes area (Canandaigua, specifically). Many of her friends and family still live there. We've seen some attractive properties crop up in Canandaigua, and the area seems to be growing in popularity with a new Hilton being constructed on the lake. But in terms of real estate networking in the area, we're starting at square one. 

Other areas we've been considering include Washington, DC, a market we understand fairly well after purchasing a condo here in 2017 as a primary residence. But despite our better understanding of the area, property values are way higher here. In our situation, to get anywhere close to a decent cash-on-cash return, I'm guessing we'd have to limit ourselves to studios and 1BD condos within the city, or properties just across the border in Maryland or Virginia. And even that would be tight. 

Anyway, I welcome thoughts from more seasoned members here on our general approach, as well as from anyone with experience doing deals in either of these markets and sub-markets. I'd love to connect with buyers' agents, property management professionals or investors who've been down this road and can help build a team!

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
6y

Yield is a function of risk...so with DC being one of the lowest risk markets in the country, its going to have very low yields, ie low cash on cash.

There is a method becoming more popular to achieve higher yields in DC and that is renting by the room. You can essentially double your rent in many cases by using that strategy. But, it does come with more risk to achieve that higher yield. Dealing with far more tenants, potentially ignoring maximum occupancy laws if you wanted more than 6 people in the property in DC (5 in suburbs). But if you stick to just 6 in DC you are good.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    Yield is a function of risk...so with DC being one of the lowest risk markets in the country, its going to have very low yields, ie low cash on cash.

    There is a method becoming more popular to achieve higher yields in DC and that is renting by the room. You can essentially double your rent in many cases by using that strategy. But, it does come with more risk to achieve that higher yield. Dealing with far more tenants, potentially ignoring maximum occupancy laws if you wanted more than 6 people in the property in DC (5 in suburbs). But if you stick to just 6 in DC you are good.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Brian,

    It is good that you are starting in an area with at least some sort of Familiarity for sure. That way when you are talking to an agent, property manage, lender etc, you will have (even if slight) point of reference to the area. Canandaigua as well as other portions of the Western NY area, are great for investments, as long as you take the tax liability into the equation, as well as new state laws that took effect last year, that need to be accounted for, so you go into any transaction eyes wide open, and all (realistic) numbers in the equation.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the pointer on the new state laws, Eric. I'll go and read up on them now. 

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Russell Brazil Incidentally, before I moved into my current place I was a tenant in one of those six-person homes you describe. I can't imagine how much work it must have been for our landlady, who also rented out two other houses on our block.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Eric McQuistion New York income taxes seem to top out at 8ish percent (and I doubt I’d be getting anywhere within striking distance of that bracket with rental income). I’m in the 8.5 percent bracket in DC already and not likely to tip into the 8.95 percent bracket anytime soon, so just comparing those two markets, it seems New York would be more favorable than DC for tax liability. Does that sound right?

    I just read up on some of the changes in state law — most of it seems reasonable, though the tenant screening and eviction provisions sound a little intense. I assume property management companies would be up to speed on these changes and could implement them effectively, right? Can you recommend any dependable property managers in the region I could interview?

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Brian Fung Hey Brian I live in Rochester (Webster) ny and travel frequently back to Baltimore county Maryland. We should connect buddy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Rochester, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Brian Fung

    Welcome to BP Brain! Looks like we share the same mindset and goals! Let’s connect!

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 37 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Brian Fung take a look at my bio, we should chat about the local opportunities, and the different investing options in the area!

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Brian Fung

    Welcome, Brian. Property taxes are a bigger deal than state income taxes for real estate investors here.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Ken Smith Jr Ah, good to know! I'll look into that. 

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 499 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    I invest in Rochester. Let me know if you have any questions.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If you want to build a portfolio of houses with significant cashflow fast I’d pick Rochester. If you want to buy one house and have tenants pay it down for 20 years while it appreciates I’d pick DMV. Are you doing this for massive cashflow to quit your job. Or as a casual side business for long term wealth.

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed I think we’re more interested in cash flow over an appreciation play, mainly as a way to diversify our FIRE strategy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    6y

    @Brian Fung go on facebook and lookup Boyland Code Law Firm, in the video section there are several videos being added daily discussing the new laws. This is a must to educate yourself before investing. 

  • Specialist · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 93 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    Hello @Brian Fung I am an investor from Rochester and actually live in Hilton, NY. My wife is a real estate agent if you need help on that side of things. Or feel free to reach out if I can answer any questions for you. I do have a podcast the is specific to the Rochester, NY market. The goal is to connect long distance investors with the local pros that know the areas inside and out and can serve as trusted boots on the ground. Here is the link if you would like to check it out. Good luck!

    https://www.buzzsprout.com/787139

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Shane W. Chapin Interesting! I’ll make sure to check out the podcast. Thanks for the tip!

  • Real Estate Professional · Hilton, NY · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shane W. Chapin:

    Hello @Brian Fung I am an investor from Rochester and actually live in Hilton, NY. My wife is a real estate agent if you need help on that side of things. Or feel free to reach out if I can answer any questions for you. I do have a podcast the is specific to the Rochester, NY market. The goal is to connect long distance investors with the local pros that know the areas inside and out and can serve as trusted boots on the ground. Here is the link if you would like to check it out. Good luck!

    https://www.buzzsprout.com/787139

    Tried to listen to the podcast on Spotify but the volume was super low. Is it just me? 

  • Specialist · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 93 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @John Boychuk Hey, thanks for listening! I haven’t heard that but will look into it. I appreciate the heads up 👍🏻

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Shane W. Chapin I've listened to the first few episodes and it's really great! I love hearing about the history and different neighborhoods from your guests. Are you in touch with any city officials or experts on the local economy? It'd be cool to get their analysis and perspectives, too. 

  • Specialist · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 93 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    @Brian Fung thank you listening and for the kind words. That is a great idea! I will reach out and get a show set up just for that. i really appreciate your feedback! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.