Investor & Property Manager from Detroit, MI

Investor & Property Manager from Detroit, MI

Timothy MooreBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 16 votes

Hey everyone, my name is Tim Moore, 31, and I've been in investing and managing real estate since 2014 in the Detroit market. I came from corporate jobs in the finance and transportation sectors but eventually left to pursue property management and investing full-time in 2018. My focus has always been buy and hold investments and building long-term residual income so most of my deals are a rental or flip to rent strategy. 

I'm looking to connect with other people investing in Detroit. My company and I can provide agent services, full service property management, and project manage full rehabs. Ideally I'd like to connect with more investors, lenders, wholesalers, and contractors; but there's plenty of deals and properties out there so I'm happy to share experiences and grow together even with other property managers and general contractors. Detroit has come a long way in the past decade and I'm excited to see how far we go in the next decade!

For those of you in the area, my investment / management focuses are in Oakland and Wayne county. Most of the properties we own and manage are single family and small multi-family up to 20 units. How's your experience in Detroit so far? I have a pretty positive experience overall (most of my personal properties are in the suburbs but a couple in the city) outside of a few rehab hits and initially renting to a friend (yes, I broke the golden rule when I first started landlording). I get pretty mixed reviews from my leads and incoming clients, but overall still see many profiting in Detroit. Unsurprisingly it seems like the biggest challenge for most of my colleagues is finding and maintaining reliable contractors. It wasn't easy for me at first but fortunately after nearly 6 years in the business, I've been able to develop a good foundation of contractor support but it's something I continue to work on.  I've only got two good electricians and they are almost always booked weeks out.

2Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 210 posts · 67 votes
6y

Hello Timothy,

Welcome to BiggerPockets. Best of luck on your endeavors.

Sincerely,

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Timothy Moore Hi Tim, I’m a newer agent/ investor here in Metro Detroit. I grew up here before I went the corporate route out of state in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City. Now I’m back home looking to build a long term foundation in real estate here. I would definitely like to stay connected as I will be in need of property management services here soon.

    Do you offer property management services to Macomb county as well or are you strictly Oakland and Wayne?

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 210 posts · 67 votes
    6y

    Hello Timothy,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets. Best of luck on your endeavors.

    Sincerely,

  • Timothy MooreBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Edgar Butler:

    @Timothy Moore Hi Tim, I’m a newer agent/ investor here in Metro Detroit. I grew up here before I went the corporate route out of state in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City. Now I’m back home looking to build a long term foundation in real estate here. I would definitely like to stay connected as I will be in need of property management services here soon.

    Do you offer property management services to Macomb county as well or are you strictly Oakland and Wayne?

     Welcome back to Michigan Edgar! I'm surprised you came back after being in such warmer climates haha. Though I will say this is a great December and despite the harsh winters, I don't plan on leaving either.

    We currently manage rentals in Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Warren, and Roseville so most Macomb County is within my coverage as well. I don't have as great of contractor coverage in the North side of Macomb county like Romeo, Armada, and Richmond.

    How's your investing experience so far?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 189 posts · 62 votes
    6y

    @Timothy Moore - thanks for posting to connect! I'm a newer investor in the area and continuing to grow my network. Can you elaborate on how you manage/JV on rehabs? This is an interesting structure I've heard about recently.

    Also, I'm looking at a 6-unit right now and if I move ahead I'd love to talk about getting a quote for property management and/or get your opinion on the long-term rental potential. I'll PM you to see if you're interested.

    Cheers!

  • Timothy MooreBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Cara Kennedy welcome and I hope your investments are performing well thus far! Since we handle all types of repairs the owners we work with, we've started managing full flips over the last couple years as well for clients that are interested. I have several GCs that we have great relationships and we're able to leverage our experience to set up the proper repair expectations to meet city requirements, determine costs and timeline, set a draw format for funding, and manage follow-ups and completion; so that flipping can still be a seamless process for those who don't aren't fixing the homes / buildings themselves.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.