Investor, also Realtor.. How to introduce myself to new clients?

Investor, also Realtor.. How to introduce myself to new clients?

Matthew MorrowBusiness Member
Investor · PA - NY - NJ · Member since 2019 · 458 posts · 168 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am ready to jump into the Investment realm full boar but am bound to the regulations of a Realtor. This initially seemed like a great position to be in, however I'm finding that it requires some finesse when introducing myself to potential investor partners / clients.  Even though I only operate part time and by referral, It becomes difficult to want the best 'investment deal' for my particular situation but according to RELRA, I have to present them with a Consumer Notice acknowledging my duties as an agent....  I have always been straitlaced and followed the rules- Is there a clear cut way to do this appeasing both sides?

How do you best begin the conversation with people you wish to invest in their properties-but do NOT want to act as a Realtor to do so? Specifically when I call / mail local properties and this can be seen as solicitation where disclosure is mandatory? 

My future is in investments, in fact I have the business plan all ready, just seeking some seller financed / flip opportunities in my area. Being an agent certainly helps to find deals / connections, however It brings some challenges. 

Any thought / insight is greatly appreciated.

Matt

CORE Team | Realty ONE Group Supreme547 Reviews
0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Matthew Morrow This is exactly why I tell people not to get a license if they are not particularly interested in becoming an agent.  It IS a tricky slope to walk.  I would just add a little notice in small print on the mailer that says something like "although I am a licensed RE agent, I am not interested in listing your home. I am a cash buyer who is looking for my own properties." Check with your RE commission on whether you have to include your brokerage info.  I doubt you do since you are not advertising for brokerage services, but the commission and your broker might have other ideas.

  • Matthew MorrowBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · PA - NY - NJ · Member since 2019 · 458 posts · 168 votes
    7y

    @Dawn Brenengen thanks so much for the reply. You make some great points and see exactly where I’m coming from.

    That’s a great idea regarding the disclaimer, I’ll type something up and in the meantime reach out to my broker who also happens to be on the Assn Board.

    I was hoping it would be a clear cut answer, thanks again for your insight.

    CORE Team | Realty ONE Group Supreme547 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.