Newbie from Frederick, Maryland

Newbie from Frederick, Maryland

MD · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hi BiggerPockets! 

My name is Meghan - I am interested in learning all I can about becoming a buy and hold rental investor. 

My hands-on experience with RE is minimal - I purchased a foreclosure in 2009 and renovated it with my father. That home is now my family's primary residence. We have equity there, but my husband and I will be selling that property and using the profits for the down payment on a new home that we are already in the process of building. Because of that, keeping the current home to use as a first rental isn't in the cards. My father-in-law is the contractor for the new build, and with the discount he's giving us, we'll end up with over $100K equity in the new home after it's all said and done - I plan on using the new equity to finally get the ball rolling.

I'll need to keep my 9-5 for a few years, but I hope to eventually make enough in rental income that I can stay home with our kids. For now, I won't be able to devote full time hours to managing my rentals, so I'm thinking I may need to slow progress down and use a management company.

I'm curious if anyone has any tips for someone just starting out in the business who also has to work full time? How did you start out?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

Buy 1 rental. Save up more money, buy rental 2. Save up more money, then buy rental 3.

Seriously, it doesnt need to be harder than that.  Then eventually with more properties you start saving more and are able to eventually snowball quicker since you then have multiple streams of income.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Hey @Meghan Custer! So you can start with the obvious, learn all you possibly can! But in the meantime, build your team!! Your team should consist of a Realtor, Property Manager, CPA, Attorney, Insurance broker, lender, etc. Having a proper team in place, especially the realtor and property manager in your case, will allow you to do this on the side while focusing on  your family and current job

    You got this!!!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Buy 1 rental. Save up more money, buy rental 2. Save up more money, then buy rental 3.

    Seriously, it doesnt need to be harder than that.  Then eventually with more properties you start saving more and are able to eventually snowball quicker since you then have multiple streams of income.

  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    @Russell Brazil - Facts!!  Thats why you were one of the top contributors.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.