Newbie in Arizona- Rehab

Newbie in Arizona- Rehab

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hey all,

I'm a new member to the BP community. I was hired as a property manager for a good friend in October 2018 with absolutely no knowledge of real estate or even maintenance work. After about two months of constant real estate talk from my buddy, I've finally caught the fire. I've loved being a part of the rehab process and filling four of the 9 units I manage over these couple of months. My sister and brother-in-law recently completed their first flip in MO and knowing my new job, my sister told me to check out BP. I've been hooked on the podcasts, I think I'm close to #50 now so only 250 more to go... I've read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" obviously and I'm about to finish "Flip Your Future" by Ryan Pineda from one of my favorite podcast episodes. I live in rural AZ- Safford to be precise so there aren't many options here, but my sister and I have looked and found a couple of options that we're looking into. 

I had my first realtor meeting two weeks ago and we checked out a couple of properties, including long-term rentals and rehabs. We came across a rehab that seems to add up and I wanted to throw some numbers out here and see what kind of lending would be appropriate to look at, along with any other advice that you may want to share.

3 bdr 2.5 bath 1800 sqft

Cost: $70k

Rehab: $30-35k

ARV: $160k (This is coming from the realtor using the p/sq ft method which I've read that it may not be entirely accurate, but I'm ok with using it for right now since it may be in the lower range compared to homes that have sold around it)

Profit: ~$30k if we hold for 6 months

My sister and I can afford a 25% down payment, but that's where our finances end. I've been reading up on portfolio loans, temporary/renovation loans, and obviously hard money loans. There are some hard money lenders here and they all offer about the same package- 15% and 6 months. This wouldn't leave a ton of profit for both of us, but I see it's value if we were to do more flips, but since this is our first I'm not sure how many we will do this year. Or I've seen people market their deals on BP looking for private lenders, but again since this would be my first deal, I don't see people lining up to give me their money. I'm also not sure if we should use our money for the down payment or if there are good reasons to go ahead and try to get 100% financed. 

I also have a single family home that adds up for a quick rehab and rent, but I don't want to write an entire novel for post #1 so maybe that will come later. 

I appreciate your time and any advice you have for a beginner. I can't wait to finally get past my paralysis by analysis. 

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Bernard ReiszPro Member
CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
7y

@Dallin Sims

Welcome to BP and best of luck in your real estate investing! Congrats on taking action and looking at your first deal.

A great place to start is https://www.biggerpockets.com/meet which you can use to find like-minded people in your area and other markets that you're looking at.

You'll find some helpful BP tips at https://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere. 

For tips on how to get the most out of BiggerPockets, check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/rei/biggerpockets-com-tutorial/

The BiggerPockets Keyword Alert System is an awesome tool: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/12/1...

See you on future threads!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bernard ReiszPro Member
    CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
    7y

    @Dallin Sims

    Welcome to BP and best of luck in your real estate investing! Congrats on taking action and looking at your first deal.

    A great place to start is https://www.biggerpockets.com/meet which you can use to find like-minded people in your area and other markets that you're looking at.

    You'll find some helpful BP tips at https://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere. 

    For tips on how to get the most out of BiggerPockets, check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/rei/biggerpockets-com-tutorial/

    The BiggerPockets Keyword Alert System is an awesome tool: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/12/1...

    See you on future threads!

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dallin Sims:

    Hey all,

    I'm a new member to the BP community. I was hired as a property manager for a good friend in October 2018 with absolutely no knowledge of real estate or even maintenance work. After about two months of constant real estate talk from my buddy, I've finally caught the fire. I've loved being a part of the rehab process and filling four of the 9 units I manage over these couple of months. My sister and brother-in-law recently completed their first flip in MO and knowing my new job, my sister told me to check out BP. I've been hooked on the podcasts, I think I'm close to #50 now so only 250 more to go... I've read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" obviously and I'm about to finish "Flip Your Future" by Ryan Pineda from one of my favorite podcast episodes. I live in rural AZ- Safford to be precise so there aren't many options here, but my sister and I have looked and found a couple of options that we're looking into. 

    I had my first realtor meeting two weeks ago and we checked out a couple of properties, including long-term rentals and rehabs. We came across a rehab that seems to add up and I wanted to throw some numbers out here and see what kind of lending would be appropriate to look at, along with any other advice that you may want to share.

    3 bdr 2.5 bath 1800 sqft

    Cost: $70k

    Rehab: $30-35k

    ARV: $160k (This is coming from the realtor using the p/sq ft method which I've read that it may not be entirely accurate, but I'm ok with using it for right now since it may be in the lower range compared to homes that have sold around it)

    Profit: ~$30k if we hold for 6 months

    My sister and I can afford a 25% down payment, but that's where our finances end. I've been reading up on portfolio loans, temporary/renovation loans, and obviously hard money loans. There are some hard money lenders here and they all offer about the same package- 15% and 6 months. This wouldn't leave a ton of profit for both of us, but I see it's value if we were to do more flips, but since this is our first I'm not sure how many we will do this year. Or I've seen people market their deals on BP looking for private lenders, but again since this would be my first deal, I don't see people lining up to give me their money. I'm also not sure if we should use our money for the down payment or if there are good reasons to go ahead and try to get 100% financed. 

    I also have a single family home that adds up for a quick rehab and rent, but I don't want to write an entire novel for post #1 so maybe that will come later. 

    I appreciate your time and any advice you have for a beginner. I can't wait to finally get past my paralysis by analysis. 

    Good for you for taking the plunge. Here are some thoughts regarding your questions. Since you are in a rural market, you should start by seeing if there is a demand for housing and how long it will take to sell. Have your real estate agent agent run DOM (days on market) for similar properties that have sold in the last 6 months. You have to think about your exit strategy. Who is your market? FHA & USDA will do first time home buyer loans but you need to own the property for 91 days. It's called "seasoning". Fix & Flips always cost more and take longer than planned. Just a fact of life. Keep in mind that your realtor will want 6% when you go to sell. You have to source supplies and workers (unless you do the work yourselves and then it's a question of momentum, you get busy with you day job and things slide). You should join AZREIA.org which has locations in Phoenix, Flagstaff and Tucson. You can get 12% and 1 year money through Hard Money Lenders in AZREIA if they believe in your project and if they believe in you. All that being said:

    I'd try to take the property under contract as Owner Financing or Subject To and sell it to a Tenant Buyer who will give you $10k or $15k down and then you can cash flow the property for $400 to $500 a month. The Tenant Buyer does the rehab. You still get the built in equity and the taxes are lower. Use the search bar above to research Subject To. It has the highest return and the least risk and goes much more quickly than fix & flips.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 187 votes
    7y

    Hi Dallin, Welcome to the RE game! I invest in Globe/Miami. I've done a flip and I own a few rentals. My advice to you is to find your own deals. I recently bought 3 rental properties owner financed at 0% interest. I also got a smoking deal on my flip last year because I solved the seller's problem. You need to get face to face with the seller and be the solution to their problem. Another thing, the nice thing about operating in a small town is that there is less/no competition. In Globe there is no one else in town hanging "I buy houses" bandit signs, I'm the only one! I'll bet Safford is similar. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Safford, AZ · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    Hi Dallin, 

    My husband and I live and invest in Safford as well. We are also Realtors, but I don't want to go stepping on toes if you like your agent. I am using a hard money lender here in Safford, and it is 15%, but they usually do interest only payments and no points or fees up front. On a flip, the hard part would be the payments if the budget is super tight. My husband and I completed our first flip and sold it in March 2018, but are now acquiring rental properties, and we have employed  a couple different strategies so that all of our money eggs aren't coming out of one basket...if that makes sense. I am also looking into other hard money or private money for our rentals, but we bought them pretty well so that there is room for cash flow even with that payment.  Best to you, let us know if you have questions. I wish we could get a meetup going around here. I put it out on one of the facebook groups last year ( where I knew the landlords would be) and I got nothing but crickets. 

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Dallin Sims

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. This is great place to connect with others.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.