New to Real Estate(Chicagoland Area). How do I get started?

New to Real Estate(Chicagoland Area). How do I get started?

Joliet, IL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hi, I'm new hear and have a genuine interest in Real Estate. I watch a lot of HGTV LOL. I just graduated with a 2 year degree in Construction Management and am currently working at entry level, not managing anything, just getting my feet wet. My ultimate goal is to be self employeed or bring in good side money while working a regular job. 

My question is, how do I get started? I've read about flipping houses, investing, and whole sale. Ultimately I'm more interested in whole sale as it seems like a faster process with no hassle of dealing with tentants or expensive fixes. What's funny is that I read on these boards how most newbies start out in wholesaling, so I'm definitely newbish. Hopefully not delusional in my ulitmate goal

I don't have any money saved up whatsoever and currently don't make much income for now. Is there anything I can do to get my feet wet? I also work 40 hours a week, so I don't know how doable my situation is.

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    My opinion is work your job, save money, and live frugally. REI is a great vehicle for wealth building but do it with a long term plan. I would house hack while your young, and build a portfolio over 20 years vs getting into REI to make a bunch of money. It's very trendy and sexy to get into this right now but there's alot of newbies and competition out there. The game is won by taking your time and patience, not by ambition and being gunho.
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
    8y

    I also recommend that you check out your local Real Estate Meet ups on Meetup.com to find local suitable mentors.  

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    8y

    Hello @Jeremiah Ellison, welcome to the site! Here are some good places to start:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet - find and connect with other BP members that are in your area.
    http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts - Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you.
    And, of course the
    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums - ask any question about real estate!
    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.