Would buying a house, and renting out rooms be a good start?

Would buying a house, and renting out rooms be a good start?

Mount Vernon, OH · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes

HI, I have a thousand saved up. I really want to get out of living in a room rental. Im throwing money away each month by renting from someone else. I want to get to a place where I can house hack and save more faster to invest in other houses.  I found a house that is walking distance to a college.  I plan to use a no money down purchase through my bank.  calculating the costs, If I rent each room out, I could net about $500 a month.  However the house is selling at the average going rate for houses, and the market is most likely to remain stable. My question is, would I be able to purchase other houses while I have this one, and what are your views on the way I'm going about this. what could I change?

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    8y
    I think the strategy you are referring to is househacking which if you are new to BP, is one of the most commonly talked about ways to get started in REI. I think it’s an awesome way to start, but I would be weary of “no money down” strategies with a bank. Are you referring to low money down? Because FHA loans require as little as 3.5% down which I would recommend saving up, have a couple grand for down payment and reserves and pull the trigger. If you are comfortable living and investing in the market and renting to roommates than go for it.
  • Mount Vernon, OH · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I was referring to no money down. Thanks!

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Mark Gonzalez This is a great way to get started, and it's exactly what I did back in 2003.  I had virtually no money, and banks were still doing 100% financing.  I lived near a college, so the roommate pool was plentiful.  That being said, be careful that you keep a little money in reserves in case something needs a repair.  Also, yes, you will be able to buy another house while having a loan for this one.  Your debt to income ratios will need to be low enough to qualify.  

  • Mount Vernon, OH · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Good to know Dawn Brenengen, Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.