Hello I'm a new investor in Dayton, Ohio!

Hello I'm a new investor in Dayton, Ohio!

Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello my name is John,

I recently moved to the Dayton, Ohio area. My business partner and I have formed an LLC to concentrate on real estate investments. Our overall strategy is to acquire and flip houses in order to generate capital to buy revenue producing properties (apartment complexes ect.)

So far the only steps we have taken are 1.) we have formed an LLC and 2.) we bought an 18 acre plot of vacant land inside the city of Dayton at a treasurer's tax auction for $2000. It's not in the greatest location but something we believe we can market because of multiple factors including the fact that it adjoins to a city park on one side that has nice amenities and on the other side it has 3 ingress/egress streets that deadend on the property line with utilities that follow. We are exploring the idea of converting part of it into an community garden for a number of years until we have enough created enough capital through flipping to possibly develop the land. But we might also test the market this spring. I might be tempted to sell it if i get a high enough offer.

Question,   should I put the money up to have it surveyed and create a preliminary planned development? It is zoned as suburban residential but with a P.D. the county is much more flexible with the zoning limitations. This can allow me to create a higher density development.  I ask because this I'm of the mind that the property might be much more valuable if I can "sell the dream" for lack of a better term.  By creating a preliminary blueprint for a development.  I very much would appreciate any feedback I can get.  I am learning as I go.

Thanks for reading and have a great Thanksgiving!

1Reply
18 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    8y

    @John Kinlaw, Congrats on getting started. You also have the basic strategy right, build capital then get cashflow.

    I admit, I was almost jealous on the 18 acres until I saw it was inside the city limits. In few years, I want to head a little further into the country.

    As far as development, the neighboring property values will have a large impact on the value of developing the property. I've never developed more than a single property, so I can't help you there.

    If you'd like to meet some other local investors, you're welcome to join us. We get together the 2nd Monday of each month.  https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/511755-dayton-networking-dec-11-2017

  • Paul AmegatcherPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brookville, OH · Member since 2016 · 488 posts · 363 votes
    8y
    Originally posted  by @John Kinlaw:

    Hello my name is John,

    I recently moved to the Dayton, Ohio area. My business partner and I have formed an LLC to concentrate on real estate investments. Our overall strategy is to acquire and flip houses in order to generate capital to buy revenue producing properties (apartment complexes ect.)

    So far the only steps we have taken are 1.) we have formed an LLC and 2.) we bought an 18 acre plot of vacant land inside the city of Dayton at a treasurer's tax auction for $2000. It's not in the greatest location but something we believe we can market because of multiple factors including the fact that it adjoins to a city park on one side that has nice amenities and on the other side it has 3 ingress/egress streets that deadend on the property line with utilities that follow. We are exploring the idea of converting part of it into an community garden for a number of years until we have enough created enough capital through flipping to possibly develop the land. But we might also test the market this spring. I might be tempted to sell it if i get a high enough offer.

    Question,   should I put the money up to have it surveyed and create a preliminary planned development? It is zoned as suburban residential but with a P.D. the county is much more flexible with the zoning limitations. This can allow me to create a higher density development.  I ask because this I'm of the mind that the property might be much more valuable if I can "sell the dream" for lack of a better term.  By creating a preliminary blueprint for a development.  I very much would appreciate any feedback I can get.  I am learning as I go.

    Thanks for reading and have a great Thanksgiving!

     John

    Congratulations on the land purchase. Where is it located at in Dayton? Some areas are coming back where as others are neglected. I'm in Dayton as well and do quite a bit of wholesaling. Downtown Dayton is making a comeback and most Investors would not have believed that a few years ago. As with real estate location is everything. Also there are people looking for locations for different things so that 18 acres might have a lot of value depending on how it's marketed and what it can be zoned for. Good luck.

    Paul

  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Hi John, welcome to BP. I'm also from Dayton and I agree with Paul there are several areas of town that are being revitalized. I think the community park is a great idea. Green space and parks add value to communities and could increase the likelihood that development would be attracted to that area. You can check with the city and see if your land is near any of the redevelopment that they have planned over the next few years. Good luck! 

    --Monique W.

  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thanks for the quick responses!

    Darrin,   Thanks for the invite.  We're planning on going so we hope to meet you!

    Paul,   I appreciate the Congrats!  So the land is located near the border of Trotwood.  It's the 2 plots that attach to the end of Smallwood Rd.   PID's: R72 17105 0001   and   R72317110 0002 .  

    Monique,  Thanks for the welcome.  The revitalization in Dayton is definitely in full effect.  Most notably the Oregon District as well as St. Anne's Hill, Huffman Historic District, and Walnut Hills.  I am interested in all of these areas but it is hard getting in there because there is so much competition. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Kinlaw:

    Thanks for the quick responses!

    Darrin,   Thanks for the invite.  We're planning on going so we hope to meet you!

    Paul,   I appreciate the Congrats!  So the land is located near the border of Trotwood.  It's the 2 plots that attach to the end of Smallwood Rd.   PID's: R72 17105 0001   and   R72317110 0002 .  

    Monique,  Thanks for the welcome.  The revitalization in Dayton is definitely in full effect.  Most notably the Oregon District as well as St. Anne's Hill, Huffman Historic District, and Walnut Hills.  I am interested in all of these areas but it is hard getting in there because there is so much competition. 

     That is the reason many people do not make it.

    They say stuff like ".. but there is so much competition".

    The notion here is that they are the mean big bad wolves out there you the little guy has to bow down to.

    Ohh no.. not me. I am new, and I kicked them silly muffins out of my way. They should be afraid of ME damnit. Think it believe it know it act like it act based on this and before no time they are trying to stalk you spying on you wondering how that damn monkey did it.

    Yeah  I see you  !

    ahum.

    It is all about self confidence and determination! Competition? Pfffft. I do not compete against my competitors. I compete against myself!

    No matter who wins... it is me on top! muuuhahahahaha

  • Paul AmegatcherPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brookville, OH · Member since 2016 · 488 posts · 363 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Kinlaw:

    Thanks for the quick responses!

    Darrin,   Thanks for the invite.  We're planning on going so we hope to meet you!

    Paul,   I appreciate the Congrats!  So the land is located near the border of Trotwood.  It's the 2 plots that attach to the end of Smallwood Rd.   PID's: R72 17105 0001   and   R72317110 0002 .  

    Monique,  Thanks for the welcome.  The revitalization in Dayton is definitely in full effect.  Most notably the Oregon District as well as St. Anne's Hill, Huffman Historic District, and Walnut Hills.  I am interested in all of these areas but it is hard getting in there because there is so much competition. 

     John,

    One option for the land is to sell it to a low income housing development company. That areas has several low income homes that were recently built. Another option is to rent it to a farmer and recoup your purchase cost with a year or two whiles marketing the property for sale.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.