Hi from LA, Seeking Passive Investments: turn-key,crowdfunded,etc

Hi from LA, Seeking Passive Investments: turn-key,crowdfunded,etc

Covina, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hi, I've been lurking around this forum for over a year now. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this website and the helpfulness of the many user who are active here. I've been busy investing on my real estate education first while slowly building my cash for an initial investment. I am now at the stage where I am about ready to take the plunge into real estate investing.

A little about myself. I am 25 years old, born in Hawaii and living in the Los Angeles area now. I work full time as a Mechanical Engineer and will be starting my masters in Engineering Management at the start of 2018. I enjoy my job very much and have no intentions of leaving any time soon. That being the case I am seeking very passive real estate investments. I’d like to supplement my income with passive cash flow and continue to re-invest to give myself the opportunity to retire early.

I currently have $20k saved up as cash, and $10k in an emergency fund that I could dip slightly into if required. I also have $25k in a IRA that I could potentially roll into a self-directed IRA if it makes sense to do so. I am saving cash at a rate of $1650 a month so in a year I should have $40,000 saved up for an first investment. Additionally, my father expressed interested as going in as a 50/50 partner with me which is another option.

My initial thought was to house hack a multi-family home since I could get started with less than 5% down, but upon further research my local market just does not cash flow positive and do not look to be good investments. This has led me to look into my out of state options.

So far I’ve narrowed it down to two options; Turn Key rental properties and crowd funded real estate.

1.Turn Key - I’ve heard great things Memphis invest and have a called scheduled to get more info and start looking at their offerings. From my understanding, most properties are in the $120k-150k range which would require closer to $35k cash to start. I’m also looking into pursuing other turn-key providers so if you have personal experience with a company and would recommended them I’d love to hear from you about your experience.

2.Crowd Funded – Being a non-accredited investor, my options are limited. From my research the current front runners are Holdfollio and Groundfloor. 

-I like that Holdfollio has a large stake of their own money in each portfolio (20-30% typically) and the company has been very high recommended by a colleague. Cons are that they only offer about 4-6 new portfolios a year, it’s not very diversified (10 properties in the same city) and minimum investment is usually $10k.

-Ground floor appeals to me since the minimums are much lower that it would allow me to dip my feet to test the waters. They offer more properties and range in low to high risk which give a wider range of ROI. With this platform I could spread $100 across 40+ investments and hopefully diversify a bit more. They are also shorter term so my cash isn't tied up as long. Cons are that you aren't gaining any long term equity with this method, just cash flow.

Given my situation, what would you recommend? Continue saving more to get started with a quality turn-key? Go with Holdfolio or a similar crowd funded site? Explore other real estate investment option?

I look forward with hearing your responses and becoming more involved with this community of investors.

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Christopher Otani I think your first step is thinking through what market you want to be invested in if it isn't the greater Los Angeles area. Are you looking at Memphis because you *want* to be invested in Memphis? Believe in the city? Believe in the growth? Or because Memphis turnkey providers do a great job of advertising? Replace "Memphis" with any city or metro area that you want. It's not about any city in particular, it's about your method to choose it. If I'm in your shoes I'd start with: I want to invest in _____ or ______. In those geographic areas my options are: ___ turnkey, ___ crowdfunded deal, etc. If, however, you're geographically agnostic, just put your money into a publicly traded REIT. Or a group of many REITs that focus on different things. There's no lock-up, they're just about 100% liquid, etc. If, in the future, you find the right property in the right market you can sell. You don't get that liquidity with crowdfunded deals. Or just say that you 100% believe in the Memphis/Cleveland/Toledo/etc. market, economy, future, and start deciding between the various ways (including turnkey) that you can get into that market.
See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Otani Let's connect. I am also in the LA area!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Christopher Otani, it sounds like you are learning a lot! BP is a great place to be with a ton of resources for the new investor.  It sounds like you have raised enough capital to get started, you will just need to find an investment that meets your criteria.

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Chris - sounds like you're very motivated to get into real estate to get financial freedom. And I am glad that you like your job. There is SO much to learn in real estate. Creative real estate financing, fix n flips, buy n holds, wholesaling, least options, . . . not only that, you get to learn about contracts, meet people, make money, and crunch numbers. . .

    Have you watched webinars on the BRRRR strategy that Brandon talks about? He breaks down rental properties into:

    Income

    Expenses (taxes, insurance, property management, vacancies, maintenance, capital expenditures)

    Income - Expenses = Net operating income (NOI)

    Then you subtract the monthly Principal and Interest payments to get a cash on cash return. Check it out. Also, will send you a message and you can ask me questions anytime.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Christopher! Very cool... I used to be an aerospace engineer and also got a masters in it. You're smart for doing it in Engineering Management though if you already have the bachelors in the engineering. That will take you pretty far!

    If you do go the turnkey route, I'm happy to chat anytime. There are other markets with much lower purchase prices that are plenty good (and markets I like better than Memphis), so you don't necessarily have to save more right off the bat. That's great you do have that emergency fund...it sounds like you are already being smart about things.

    Reach out anytime!

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Otani:

    Hi, I've been lurking around this forum for over a year now. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this website and the helpfulness of the many user who are active here. I've been busy investing on my real estate education first while slowly building my cash for an initial investment. I am now at the stage where I am about ready to take the plunge into real estate investing.

    A little about myself. I am 25 years old, born in Hawaii and living in the Los Angeles area now. I work full time as a Mechanical Engineer and will be starting my masters in Engineering Management at the start of 2018. I enjoy my job very much and have no intentions of leaving any time soon. That being the case I am seeking very passive real estate investments. I’d like to supplement my income with passive cash flow and continue to re-invest to give myself the opportunity to retire early.

    I currently have $20k saved up as cash, and $10k in an emergency fund that I could dip slightly into if required. I also have $25k in a IRA that I could potentially roll into a self-directed IRA if it makes sense to do so. I am saving cash at a rate of $1650 a month so in a year I should have $40,000 saved up for an first investment. Additionally, my father expressed interested as going in as a 50/50 partner with me which is another option.

    My initial thought was to house hack a multi-family home since I could get started with less than 5% down, but upon further research my local market just does not cash flow positive and do not look to be good investments. This has led me to look into my out of state options.

    So far I’ve narrowed it down to two options; Turn Key rental properties and crowd funded real estate.

    1.Turn Key - I’ve heard great things Memphis invest and have a called scheduled to get more info and start looking at their offerings. From my understanding, most properties are in the $120k-150k range which would require closer to $35k cash to start. I’m also looking into pursuing other turn-key providers so if you have personal experience with a company and would recommended them I’d love to hear from you about your experience.

    2.Crowd Funded – Being a non-accredited investor, my options are limited. From my research the current front runners are Holdfollio and Groundfloor. 

    -I like that Holdfollio has a large stake of their own money in each portfolio (20-30% typically) and the company has been very high recommended by a colleague. Cons are that they only offer about 4-6 new portfolios a year, it’s not very diversified (10 properties in the same city) and minimum investment is usually $10k.

    -Ground floor appeals to me since the minimums are much lower that it would allow me to dip my feet to test the waters. They offer more properties and range in low to high risk which give a wider range of ROI. With this platform I could spread $100 across 40+ investments and hopefully diversify a bit more. They are also shorter term so my cash isn't tied up as long. Cons are that you aren't gaining any long term equity with this method, just cash flow.

    Given my situation, what would you recommend? Continue saving more to get started with a quality turn-key? Go with Holdfolio or a similar crowd funded site? Explore other real estate investment option?

    I look forward with hearing your responses and becoming more involved with this community of investors.

    Hello!

    Turnkey is a great way to invest and receive passive income! I do not know too much about Memphis, it sounds like they have a lot of investors these days.

    You should read the links below to help you out in your research!

    The Best Types of Markets for Profitable Turnkey Properties

    and

    What to Ask When Working With a Turnkey Provider

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Christopher Otani I think your first step is thinking through what market you want to be invested in if it isn't the greater Los Angeles area. Are you looking at Memphis because you *want* to be invested in Memphis? Believe in the city? Believe in the growth? Or because Memphis turnkey providers do a great job of advertising? Replace "Memphis" with any city or metro area that you want. It's not about any city in particular, it's about your method to choose it. If I'm in your shoes I'd start with: I want to invest in _____ or ______. In those geographic areas my options are: ___ turnkey, ___ crowdfunded deal, etc. If, however, you're geographically agnostic, just put your money into a publicly traded REIT. Or a group of many REITs that focus on different things. There's no lock-up, they're just about 100% liquid, etc. If, in the future, you find the right property in the right market you can sell. You don't get that liquidity with crowdfunded deals. Or just say that you 100% believe in the Memphis/Cleveland/Toledo/etc. market, economy, future, and start deciding between the various ways (including turnkey) that you can get into that market.
  • Covina, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    All, thank you for the replies and the warm welcome. 

    @Jonatan Barbera Thanks for the tip, I'll add them to my research list and send you a message if I have any questions.

    @Peter Mac Yes I'm familiar with the BRRRR. It does sound like a great way to quickly acquire properties. Unfortunately the rehab aspect of it makes it a little to active for me at the moment. I'm seeking much more passive options. I'll be sure to pick you brain some via private message.

    @Ali Boone Nice to meet another Engineer/real estate investor. Have you decided to pursue real estate full time now? Memphis invest was just the company name but they have offerings in Dallas that I was leaning towards. But the more options the better. I'll send you a message to discuss further.

    @Tom Ott I appreciated the links! Ill dig into those more.

    @Kenneth Mooney I'll send you a message to get more details about your turn-key opportunities. Thanks!

    @Andrew Johnson You raise some good points. I was more considering the Dallas market that memphis invest offers turn-key properties in. I've read a lot of good things about the future of Dallas rental investing. I'm still doing my due-diligence in offerings and am very much open to and actively researching other markets as well. Part of this intro post is to get suggestions from other investors who have had success in a particular market to get more data points and lead for other area to investigate further.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Otani:

    Hi, I've been lurking around this forum for over a year now. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this website and the helpfulness of the many user who are active here. I've been busy investing on my real estate education first while slowly building my cash for an initial investment. I am now at the stage where I am about ready to take the plunge into real estate investing.

    A little about myself. I am 25 years old, born in Hawaii and living in the Los Angeles area now. I work full time as a Mechanical Engineer and will be starting my masters in Engineering Management at the start of 2018. I enjoy my job very much and have no intentions of leaving any time soon. That being the case I am seeking very passive real estate investments. I’d like to supplement my income with passive cash flow and continue to re-invest to give myself the opportunity to retire early.

    I currently have $20k saved up as cash, and $10k in an emergency fund that I could dip slightly into if required. I also have $25k in a IRA that I could potentially roll into a self-directed IRA if it makes sense to do so. I am saving cash at a rate of $1650 a month so in a year I should have $40,000 saved up for an first investment. Additionally, my father expressed interested as going in as a 50/50 partner with me which is another option.

    My initial thought was to house hack a multi-family home since I could get started with less than 5% down, but upon further research my local market just does not cash flow positive and do not look to be good investments. This has led me to look into my out of state options.

    So far I’ve narrowed it down to two options; Turn Key rental properties and crowd funded real estate.

    1.Turn Key - I’ve heard great things Memphis invest and have a called scheduled to get more info and start looking at their offerings. From my understanding, most properties are in the $120k-150k range which would require closer to $35k cash to start. I’m also looking into pursuing other turn-key providers so if you have personal experience with a company and would recommended them I’d love to hear from you about your experience.

    2.Crowd Funded – Being a non-accredited investor, my options are limited. From my research the current front runners are Holdfollio and Groundfloor. 

    -I like that Holdfollio has a large stake of their own money in each portfolio (20-30% typically) and the company has been very high recommended by a colleague. Cons are that they only offer about 4-6 new portfolios a year, it’s not very diversified (10 properties in the same city) and minimum investment is usually $10k.

    -Ground floor appeals to me since the minimums are much lower that it would allow me to dip my feet to test the waters. They offer more properties and range in low to high risk which give a wider range of ROI. With this platform I could spread $100 across 40+ investments and hopefully diversify a bit more. They are also shorter term so my cash isn't tied up as long. Cons are that you aren't gaining any long term equity with this method, just cash flow.

    Given my situation, what would you recommend? Continue saving more to get started with a quality turn-key? Go with Holdfolio or a similar crowd funded site? Explore other real estate investment option?

    I look forward with hearing your responses and becoming more involved with this community of investors.

     Welcome to BP. Perhaps also consider a Reit for maxium passivity. I like your multi hack idea and maybe switch a unit to airbnb or short term fufunished for better flow. Keep in mind the multi house hack model in SoCal for the last several years would have been substantially more profitable than a random far away turnkey. We are talking in most cases a 6 figures total returns difference favoring Socal multi house hack model. Good luck!

  • Covina, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:

     Welcome to BP. Perhaps also consider a Reit for maxium passivity. I like your multi hack idea and maybe switch a unit to airbnb or short term fufunished for better flow. Keep in mind the multi house hack model in SoCal for the last several years would have been substantially more profitable than a random far away turnkey. We are talking in most cases a 6 figures total returns difference favoring Socal multi house hack model. Good luck!

    Matt, thanks for the response.

    I am still very interested in the house hacking idea. It's just been difficult finding a property in the current LA area market that cash flows positive. I think I'm going to try some smaller crowd funding investments this year and continue to save cash for a down payment. I'm hoping the housing market takes a dive some time in the next few years and by then I'd be well positioned but financially and educationally to tackle a multi-family house hack BRRRR investment.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Understandable. To multi hack today for flow almost for sure requires some alternative methods to the hacking. Keep in mind your net rent savings with the hack will be more than nearly any other REI return could provide.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Christopher Otani give me a call. I pretty did much the same thing Hawaii etc. I started with turnkey but there are some issues.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome aboard @Christopher Otani

  • Covina, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt R.:

    Understandable. To multi hack today for flow almost for sure requires some alternative methods to the hacking. Keep in mind your net rent savings with the hack will be more than nearly any other REI return could provide.

    Good point. Even taking into account my portion of the rental income and moving out with a year and having all units providing cash flow most of the places I've found seem to at best break even. But that's before setting aside maintenance and vacancy savings. I'm sure this is mostly because of my lack of experience of not looking in the right places. I'm confident I'll eventually find something where the numbers work in my favor.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I'm in real estate full-time now, yes. I still fly on the side (flight instructor), but otherwise mostly real estate. I still bust out the occasional spreadsheet for fun times though :)

    Cool, definitely message and we'll chat.

  • Valley Village, CA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Hey Christopher, I am sort of in the same boat. I want to to get in the game but the barrier to entry in LA is very high and in my mind it is much easier to start off in a much cheaper market. I dont really understand how anyone can get a good cash flow going in LA. I am looking for turnkey in places where homes still cost 100k, because where I am at houses cost 1M and that just seems like too much for a novice like me. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.