Advice on education and goals for an aspiring 17 year old.

Advice on education and goals for an aspiring 17 year old.

Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hello BP community! I'm an aspiring 17 year old real estate investor, I believe I have found this to be my passion. I have obsessed over learning all I can about REI! I have listened to nearly 50 hours worth of BP podcasts and have begin reading two books from BP. From these sources I have a strong idea of what I need to do, and a decent idea of how to do it. Specifically, I want to buy and hold (BRRRR) and run a few flips on the side. I wanted to ask this community on any advice for my specific situation (Which I believe to be a very fortunate position) and help on setting high yet realistic goals.

As of now I am a senior in high school with good grades and have a good shot at a full ride scholarship at my state college. I have a good truck that is fully paid off and a decent place where I can live for free for the next five years or so. I will have a secure job at my family owned business, that does flooring and house remodeling, making about $25,000 to $35,000 a year part time. I believe this to be my biggest advantage because I can learn great amounts about house repairs and remodel, as well as use the business in my own projects at a discount in the future. We are great friends with a contractor that can build and inspect houses. I have an aunt that is a real estate agent and another that is a lender.

With all that said, I am an extremely dedicated person. Hopefully by next year I can start, however I will only have around $10,000 dollars saved up. At that point I will start college and work part time at the family business. With no bills to pay, I am willing to pour every coin I have into my investing adventure (Including my eventual cash flow). I am willing to do all it takes to be successful. My goal would to have around $3,000 cash flow per month by the end of the second year, and around $12,000 per month by the end of the fifth year.

So here are my questions!

  • What should I do now as a 17 year old to increase my chances of success? (Besides reading/research)
  • Will my income from my job in my family business be enough to eventually become a full time investor, assuming I Invest around 90% of it for my first 5 years?
  • What should I major in college to help me in investing? Should I use that major to get a specific job?
  • Should I become a real estate agent at 18? Is 18 too young to become a landlord?
  • How realistic are the two goals I have set up so far?
  • What's the best way to have your cash flow “Snowball”?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks BP community!

1Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 191 votes
9y

Hey @Hunter Crespin, good for you. A couple brief thoughts/answers for you as a 23 year old -

  • What should I do now as a 17 year old to increase my chances of success? (Besides reading/research)

Right now you should be keeping any debt you have as low as possible and keep it that way. That includes college debt, though I'm a dropout so what do I know. Lol!

  • Will my income from my job in my family business be enough to eventually become a full time investor, assuming I Invest around 90% of it for my first 5 years?

Oh yeah, totally. Most Americans who make 50-80k/year have no savings, so you're golden. Your biggest challenge will be standard financing, but that's where creative financing comes in.

  • Should I become a real estate agent at 18? Is 18 too young to become a landlord?

First part is up to you. I did it, and it worked for me, but it's a very different animal than investing with a whole different skill set and knowledge base. Most people don't go that route. Second part is a giant no, what kind of question is that!? ;)

  • How realistic are the two goals I have set up so far?

Wrong question, and the answer doesn't matter, so don't ever ask it again. All you need to worry about is how focused you are, the rest will take care of itself. If you haven't already, write down your goals and keep them at your bedside. Read them every morning and every night.

  • What's the best way to have your cash flow “Snowball”?

Macro answer: invest in U.S. real estate with U.S. loans. Micro answer: Learn from your mistakes fast and don't lose more money than necessary. But seriously though, there is no best way, that's the beauty of real estate.

Bottom line:

Write down your goals. Read them constantly and don't ever stop.

Keep your debt low, keep your focus honed, and keep your goals ambitious.

And lastly, again, don't ever, ever ask if your goals are realistic. Anyone who ever did something particularly great usually had goals that sounded ridiculous at the start. So get that question out of your head permanently. Instead, ask yourself how you will attain them. Then answer the question yourself with a written plan, and from that point forward, only ask questions to others that will help you attain your goals - not a judgement on them. As you learn more and connect with more people, you - the master of your plan - will render an opinion and adjust your goals accordingly in order to make them be achieved faster. But that's your job, nobody else's.

I dropped out of college after a year never went back. I started a business completely broke as an agent in real estate around my 19th birthday. It's a difficult business for a myriad of reasons, but somehow I pulled through and bought my first property for $425,000 when I was 22. Now, I have a fiance and two stepkids, and I have my sights set on properties 2 and 3 in the next year or so. Admittedly, there are much easier roads then the one I took - but it doesn't matter as long as you keep your focus.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    Your 3000 a month cash flow in one year is going to be hard to reach unless you have significant cash to work with. A lot of investors aim for 100 a door after all expenses which means you'd need 30 doors in a year. For advice, I'd say network and listen to all BP podcasts
  • Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hey @Caleb Heimsoth! Thanks for your reply.

    The $3,000 a month cash flow is by the end of the second year, not the first. What amount of cash would be considered "Significant", would around $30,000 in savings in the first year and an additional $30,000 in the second year be enough? What would be a more reasonable goal?

    Thanks again.

  • Investor · Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 191 votes
    9y

    Hey @Hunter Crespin, good for you. A couple brief thoughts/answers for you as a 23 year old -

    • What should I do now as a 17 year old to increase my chances of success? (Besides reading/research)

    Right now you should be keeping any debt you have as low as possible and keep it that way. That includes college debt, though I'm a dropout so what do I know. Lol!

    • Will my income from my job in my family business be enough to eventually become a full time investor, assuming I Invest around 90% of it for my first 5 years?

    Oh yeah, totally. Most Americans who make 50-80k/year have no savings, so you're golden. Your biggest challenge will be standard financing, but that's where creative financing comes in.

    • Should I become a real estate agent at 18? Is 18 too young to become a landlord?

    First part is up to you. I did it, and it worked for me, but it's a very different animal than investing with a whole different skill set and knowledge base. Most people don't go that route. Second part is a giant no, what kind of question is that!? ;)

    • How realistic are the two goals I have set up so far?

    Wrong question, and the answer doesn't matter, so don't ever ask it again. All you need to worry about is how focused you are, the rest will take care of itself. If you haven't already, write down your goals and keep them at your bedside. Read them every morning and every night.

    • What's the best way to have your cash flow “Snowball”?

    Macro answer: invest in U.S. real estate with U.S. loans. Micro answer: Learn from your mistakes fast and don't lose more money than necessary. But seriously though, there is no best way, that's the beauty of real estate.

    Bottom line:

    Write down your goals. Read them constantly and don't ever stop.

    Keep your debt low, keep your focus honed, and keep your goals ambitious.

    And lastly, again, don't ever, ever ask if your goals are realistic. Anyone who ever did something particularly great usually had goals that sounded ridiculous at the start. So get that question out of your head permanently. Instead, ask yourself how you will attain them. Then answer the question yourself with a written plan, and from that point forward, only ask questions to others that will help you attain your goals - not a judgement on them. As you learn more and connect with more people, you - the master of your plan - will render an opinion and adjust your goals accordingly in order to make them be achieved faster. But that's your job, nobody else's.

    I dropped out of college after a year never went back. I started a business completely broke as an agent in real estate around my 19th birthday. It's a difficult business for a myriad of reasons, but somehow I pulled through and bought my first property for $425,000 when I was 22. Now, I have a fiance and two stepkids, and I have my sights set on properties 2 and 3 in the next year or so. Admittedly, there are much easier roads then the one I took - but it doesn't matter as long as you keep your focus.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 34 votes
    9y
    I think Nick G. Is spot on! Keep your debt low, write your goals down and stay focused. The wealth doesn't come overnight. I started investing at age 25 and now 8 years later we are really seeing a difference in our financial picture. We were as frugal as possible for the first few years. If I had to do it again, I would, but even younger! Sounds to me like you're going to do extremely well!
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    Even by the end of year 2, those cash flow numbers are going to be hard. Again it won't be impossible, but I'm just telling you it'll be difficult
  • Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Nick G. and @Kelly Skeval ! I really appreciate the advice and encouragement! I will be sure to debt at or near zero, and keep as focused as possible. I'm very thankful that I have nearly a year to plan and learn everything I need to before I can invest. Also, Ill be sure to change and keep that mentality on my goals from now on. Thanks again for the reassurance and support! It means a lot.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Your start point should be to sit down with your aunt, the lender, and have a serious talk about financing your investment properties. She will be the one to help set realistic goals for yourself. 

    Your primary goal should be to finish school and follow your career path. You need that to finance your investing.

  • Investor · Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 191 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Hunter Crespin:

    Thanks @Nick G. and @Kelly Skeval ! I really appreciate the advice and encouragement! I will be sure to debt at or near zero, and keep as focused as possible. I'm very thankful that I have nearly a year to plan and learn everything I need to before I can invest. Also, Ill be sure to change and keep that mentality on my goals from now on. Thanks again for the reassurance and support! It means a lot.

     You got it buddy, go do great things.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rome, GA · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Hunter,

    Looks like I'm a little late to the party on this one, but what's 25-days in the whole grand stratagem? I just took a short while to write a post in response to another guy here on BP, who also happened to be 17. He was asking similar questions to what you're asking now. Instead of dancing around and likely repeating myself several times, I'm going to copy/paste that response here then cap it off with a little bit more specificity to your individual interests. Just to provide some background, he was wanting to know how and where to begin, and is looking at potentially doing clerical work for a local agency in his town to learn what he can from what will hopefully be a mentor-like figure.

    "Not the worst idea if you're a complete novice and brand-new to the game. Though, you should know, I don't imagine you'll learn much from working at an agency as a pencil-pusher apart from picking up on real estate lingo and grasping acronyms that are commonly used, among other negligible stuff like that. There's a starting point for everyone, though, and this could be yours. Whatever it takes to get your foot through the door. But in order to familiarize yourself with different investment strategies, and there are a lot of them, you'll need to study. Then when you're done studying, study some more. In the midst of your studying, take a small study break, then continue your studies once again. This is the only real way you're ever going to obtain the knowledge necessary to take action and ultimately taste success in this business. Trust me, you don't want "experience" without first procuring the proper knowledge, seeing as that experience will likely be a bad one. You'll inevitably have poor encounters whether you study first, or not; but being aware of what recourse you need to take when it happens will soften the blow significantly.

    I started investing in real estate when I was 17, too, and have since both flipped houses and become an active landlord. You wanna know what sparked my interest? A late-night infomercial. There it was, somewhere around 3-5 AM, I'm the only person awake in the house, and I'm sitting there playing video games on my computer when I hear small pieces of it coming from the television on the other side of the room. All this talk about big paydays with no-money-down got my attention pretty effortlessly. The guy's name is *************, and while he admittedly may look like and come across as your typical scam artist or "guru," he isn't. I've read every single one of his books (several of which were free) and nothing he says is untrue or unachievable. Not by any means. Nor does he sugarcoat it by saying it'll be easy or without real work. Heck, he doesn't even shoot for the get-rich-quick scheme that so many others shove down the throats of desperate newcomers. His main focus is on wholesaling, which I imagine you've probably heard of by now. It's a strategy I implemented for a while but grew to loathe. Don't get me wrong, though. I absolutely love having wholesalers work for me, and I currently have no less than a dozen of them who send me properties every single day. It just wasn't a strategy I personally enjoyed, as I don't favor relying on others in order for me to construct a deal and get paid. This is why I've focused on flipping and renting, both of which I absolutely love and plan to continually expand upon for years and years to come. And while I may not credit my successes to his teachings, despite him having certainly taught me a lot, I also can't say I'd be where I am now if it hadn't been for that cheesy television ad that influenced me to ask my dad for his credit-card the following morning in order to purchase his book and begin a lasting journey that I, at the time, didn't even know I was on.

    As for your question, I made it pretty clear above that I don't think a clerical job will serve you well if it is a mentorship you seek. Your best bet, if you desire a real person out in front of you that you can shake hands with and pose questions to, would be to attend a meeting at any of your local real estate investment associations (or REIAs). You'll find people there from all walks of the game; be it an agent, a broker, a contractor, a lender, an attorney, or any other practicing real-estate professional. Here you can either do the whole meet-and-greet, or simply sit back and take notes while learning different strategies. I would suggest, though, that once you've managed to pinpoint what you want to focus on, that you get to know everyone you can. Give them a business card of yours and explain what you could do for them, or what they could do for you. You'll learn a lot here, and there are plenty of people walking around willing to openly offer advice. If you're shy, you could always stick to asking your questions and learning new things on BiggerPockets, but on the same token, if you're too shy to speak to people face-to-face, you should consider investment strategies that exist outside the realm of real estate.

    Best of luck to you in whatever you do, and I'm glad to answer any questions you may have.

    Sic parvis magna. Labor omnia vincit."

    Then I had to place a second comment because BP is silly like that.

    "The name I included that turned into a garbled line of asterisks is D34N GR4Z1051. Hope you can read that, lol. If not, take a minute and touch up on your "1337 speak" via Google. Not sure why BP would block his name. Stupid."

    Now in order to target your post more precisely, Hunter, I want to firstly expand upon the comment Caleb made above. While it is true that $100 per/door is a relatively widespread rule-of-thumb that investors tend to follow when obtaining rental properties, it is by NO means a limitation. "The glass ceiling? The brass ring? Break it. Take it." Your deal is as good as you make it. Do the right research, put in the right time, find the right property, and structure it the right way and you'll be leagues ahead of your colleagues or competition, depending on how you view them. I don't usually reveal numerical or monetary information about my deals in a public setting, but I'm going to make the exception here. I'm buying a property within the next few weeks via owner-finance with 27% down on an 8-year balloon. Seller pays any/all applicable closing costs. My down-payment will satisfy the remaining balance on their current mortgage, which is necessary in this specific case because the bank won't let the owner provide financing without triggering the due-on-sale clause of their agreement. Trust me, we checked. I'm purchasing this property all-in for $30,000 and it rents for $1,100/mo, of which a new 1-year lease has just been signed. My interest rate will be at 5% and the loan will be amortized over 30-years. So let's talk about cash flow, broken down on a monthly scale:

    • $1,100.00 rent
    • $66.66 insurance
    • $121.00 property management (11%)
    • $91.66 vacancy (8.33% or 1-month)
    • $117.56 mortgage (principal & interest)
    • $44.75 property taxes
    • $55.00 maintenance/repairs (5%)
    • $55.00 capital expenditures (5%)
    • $548.37 cash flow

    If I remember right, this puts the capitalization rate at about 30% and the annual ROI at about 120%. Perhaps a little less. These are my "safe" and honestly unrealistic numbers. If we're talking what's real, I'm not going to be using property management for this property. That's $121.00 more a month. For at least the next year, vacancy isn't going to be an issue (and if you're factoring in tenant turnover costs assuming they bail, their security deposit is 2-months worth of rent, or $2,200, so if they broke their lease and lost their deposit, that would inherently be a significant boost to my cash flow - this property has a track-record of taking about 1-week to fill when vacant, and I've familiarized myself with all of the current landlord's marketing methods and materials to keep it that way - but for the sake of this, we're going to pretend they stay). That's $91.66 more a month. This property is in excellent physical condition, which is part of the reason why it's demanding such a high rent. Ergo, I don't anticipate 5% worth of maintenance/repairs anytime soon. That's $55.00 more a month. As for the CapEx, the owner had a new roof put on 2-years ago, and the driveway was repaved 5-years ago. Electrical and plumbing systems are pristine and up to code. That's $55.00 more a month. Now we're left with an actual, real-world number of $871.03 per/mo in cash flow after the mortgage, taxes, and insurance. I have no idea how sky-high this makes the cap rate and ROI. For just $8,100 down, I hope you can see the potential of what finding the right deals can do for you.

    Let me clarify, also, that this is in NO way meant to sound boastful, but to instead get you excited and help you lose the shackles of the status quo. Realize the opportunities that are floating around out there, likely right under your nose, waiting to be exploited by whoever wants them badly enough. Look at those numbers and brainstorm. Add or take away as you feel would be more accurate for your area, abilities, and available time. And if you're morally worried about deals that are "too good," believing there's a high likelihood that if they're like this then you're probably taking advantage of someone in a poverty-stricken or necessitous situation, then you need to readjust your mental approach. First off, this is business. Nothing is personal. If you want to save the world, donate all the time you'd like elsewhere. But the time you dedicate to working is the same time you're acquiring the means to put food on YOUR family's table, so that THEY don't end up living a poor standard of life due to financial hardship (and it happens to billions, every single day). In the situation surrounding this particular house, however, there's no widow in despair. There's no sorrowful parent of a sick child. There's no mourning heir to a property they never even wanted. No, it's actually a wealthy investor who is liquidating his assets because he's building (you guessed it) more rentals. They've already started the project, actually, and it's coming along quite well. Luckily for me it's just far enough away not to steal any of the tenants I'll be advertising to in the future, lol.

    So maintain your motivation, stay the course, and achieve your dreams. Make success your reality.

    Good luck out there!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.