Newbie NAVY vet looking to get into real estate

Newbie NAVY vet looking to get into real estate

Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
Hi everyone my name is Justin Brown, I am 28 years old. I live in Arizona, from Chicago and served our country in the US Navy. I am interested in multi family rentals and house flips. The first deal I want to do is a multi family VA loan in which I will live in one of the units. My father played pro basketball I've always wanted to get into real estate and I am happy to be here and to learn from all the great members. Looking forward for real estate being the vehicle of my financial freedom.
1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 438 posts · 193 votes
9y

It starts with the first deal, and going in on a primary residence, multi-unit  is often a great way to get that ball rolling! Congrats and any questions on the lending side, hit me up!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Justin Brown Hi Justin,

    Decide which kind of investor you want to be (SFR, Commercial, Land, Tax Liens, HML, Multi-Family, Notes, Fix & Flip, Buy & Hold, "Subject To", apartments, duplexes, assisted living, REOs, Foreclosures, Short Sales), etc.. Decide how much money you have access to, & the zip codes, city or state you want to focus on. That will determine the next step. Outline where you want to be in five years. Put it all in writing. Start working your plan.

    If you have further interest send me a Colleague notice and I can email you some info.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 438 posts · 193 votes
    9y

    It starts with the first deal, and going in on a primary residence, multi-unit  is often a great way to get that ball rolling! Congrats and any questions on the lending side, hit me up!

  • Real Estate Agent · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 220 posts · 122 votes
    9y

    great to meet another local. Welcome to BP. Multifamily in desirable neighborhoods can be tricky in the East Valley but they exist if you look.

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    9y

    Hello and welcome to BP!  Thank you for your service in the Navy.  You did not mention your age so i cannot tell you anything that is based on your age.  Buy and Hold and  Fix and Flip are very different. One of them is a short term investment and the other is long term investment.  That does not mean they cannot work together,  Just be prepared for what you do and do not do.   Be happy with whatever you decide and know what that involves as far as financing and job-work.

    Owner financing is usuallyone of the best and hard lending is one of the hardest ways to go.  Learn how to listen and hearing the word "no".  Go to the local real estate investing clubs and events and be sure that its not a front for a Guru that just wants your money.  Education has to be an ongoing thing.  Learn more about what you choose to do and how to read financial statements.  Your military service and getting your experience working with a Team should help you with investing.

    A primary Team of local and experienced people at what you do will be helpful.  Do not be afraid to others that help you get things done, especially things you do not know.  Until you get some experience in your chosen niche try to stay in control and do not assume anything will get done until you gain on trust of others.  Know the area you select well and that location is probably the most important factor.  The more you learn, the more confident you will get.

    Good luck to you!

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Justin Brown:

    Hi everyone my name is Justin Brown, I am 28 years old. I live in Arizona, from Chicago and served our country in the US Navy. I am interested in multi family rentals and house flips. The first deal I want to do is a multi family VA loan in which I will live in one of the units. My father played pro basketball I've always wanted to get into real estate and I am happy to be here and to learn from all the great members. Looking forward for real estate being the vehicle of my financial freedom.

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Justin Brown, and thank you for serving our country and keeping us safe.

  • Investor / Operation Manager · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP! I hope you find this community as awesome as I have. Lots of information and I hope you can find value here! Did you recently separate from the Navy? I was a former HM so I do understand the transition. Hope we can connect sometime soon! Cheers! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.