Semi-retired RE investor in N. Michigan

Semi-retired RE investor in N. Michigan

Investor · Eastport, MI · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hello all;  I've used this site to search out answers in the past and am now joining.  I landed back here in a search for tax advice on cost basis.  I recently down-shifted to part-time work in my career as a money lender.  We have 4 houses in 4 different towns; Atwood, Charlevoix, Central Lake, Bellaire.  It's a N. MI thing I guess, we are accustomed to driving 30 minutes to get anywhere!  Just closed on 5th house, this is second one in Bellaire MI.  This one may be a rental, but we are considering living in it and renting out current home.  If we do that I am sure i'll be back for tax advice on converting from personal residence to rental property.  I am 52 and using rental income to bridge the gap after switching to part-time work until I turn 59.5 or maybe until SS starts at 67. 

Best piece of advice I ever received was to take a look at the potential renters car - how they keep their car is a good indication of how they will keep your house.

1Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome again to BP Doug. 

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 113 votes
    9y

    Hi @Doug Seaney!

    Welcome to BP!  I too started investing later in life.  I started with SFRs and duplexes but started to see the economies of scales with the duplexes and now am focused primarily on apartments.

    If you need anyone to bounce ideas off of feel free to contact me.

    Best of luck on your new endeavors!

    bill

  • Real Estate Agent · Port Huron, MI · Member since 2012 · 295 posts · 82 votes
    9y

    @Doug Seaney Welcome to BP!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.