Investment nightmare is now my home..ready to right the wrong.

Investment nightmare is now my home..ready to right the wrong.

North Bergen, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

This is my first post so I apologize in advance because I am going to thorough in hopes of some helpful advice.

I bought my first home (condo) at an auction in 2009. Brand new construction where the developer had run out of funds towards the end of the build and he needed to bring the whole building to this auction. Although the condo looks beautiful, I did everything wrong...

  I purchased the property with 20% down 30 yr fixed at 4.5 interest. Once 80% of the building was sold, the taxes were adjusted - and tripled from the original rate! At this cost, it was not feasible to rent out and I moved in (was actually fine in my little rental where I could continue to save). 

I refinanced in 2013 since the value dropped to a 20 yr at 3.75. I wish I had known to just do a heloc then. I then paid PMI as well as paying a little extra towards the principle every month. As mentioned, I did this all wrong. I live in the nicest place in town. It is predominantly Spanish and I do not speak the language. I commute into NYC for work so the geography is desirable for this but not for the price, I could have more of a home with a yard...As icing on the cake - the shotty work behind the walls in the building caused a water sprinkler break back on Valentine's Day and I had to be evacuated. It has been eight months and I am Still not back in my home. The condo association is paying for repairs and this is a whole other shady story...

Here is my long winded question(s);

1. I want to know, would it be a good idea to take my name off this mortgage and move the deed over to a trust and then to an LLC that I plan on opening up. It has been such a nightmare that I feel I need a corporate veil before ever renting out my only investment.

2. The big question(s) 

Should I sell and just try to invest more wisely next time? I admit I have enjoyed the top line emneties but they are not required and I would probably enjoy them more if I didn't feel stuck. I do have about $50k equity presently.

Or should I do a HELOC for cash/rehab/wholesale investment or potentially as a hard money lender?

Or just refinance and get a 30 yr at a good rate and get some cash flow from rent? Would I be able to pull my present equity out if I do this? I feel like I lost out when I put 20 % down originally and the price dropped drastically and I lost money.

I don't want my original mistake to remain a mistake but I am not sure what is the wise direction. The mortgage payment + Maintance fees constantly increasing is too high to rent out presently and it is keeping me from having extra cash and keeping me stuck.

I am embarrassed by how bad this investment has been..everything that could go wrong did! Any advice would really be appreciated.  I would like to come back here in the future with this as a "remember when" story - sooner rather than later.

P.S. Lastly, would it be wise for me to open a ROTH SOLO B to attach to this potential LLC OR do I have to attach this to a separate LLC with no property to begin with in order to benefit investing through this vehicle?

Thank you for reading this all the way through and I am hopeful I can receive some helpful advice!

Best,

Patty

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
9y

You are wasting your time asking for advice if what you want to hear is that you have options regarding holding on to this property. IT is not a good investment as a rental and never will be. If you want to succeed you need to move out of your denial stage and realise that selling is the right and only option if you plan on moving forward.

You can polish a turd until it shines like a diamond but it will always be a turd. If you are happy owning a shiny turd so be it.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    For me, I think I would want to know what you first plan as your exit strategy for this 1st property (what do you want to do with the property in the end)? Secondly, what do you want to do with next with your investments?

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    Hi Patty. Sorry to hear all of this. It sounds like you're answering some of your own questions but you want someone else to say it out loud :) Cut your losses and sell it. Your market is fantastic right now so you should do well with the sale. Walk with some equity, a valuable education, and learn from your mistakes. Definitely use an LLC for your next purchase....I use a different LLC for each investment property.
  • North Bergen, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Warren and Herman,

       Thank you so much for your responses. I have taken to heart what each of you have said. My ultimate goal is to have real estate investments that work:-) ..investments that will continue to bring in monthly cash flow. I bought this first property brand new knowing I would make little cash flow but I would be able to learn from a safe investment- one where the water heater wouldn't quit within the first year or the roof wouldn't be unsafe (who would think brand new construction would have a roof issue??). I thought I would start here as a baby step to landlording.

      Although through all my frustration I could walk away without a loss at this point, I do have equity in a property that is in an area that could potentially increase in value one day. If I cut my losses and walk away, I might not be in a better position. There are renters in my building (not paying as much as my mortgage) and I do have neighbors/friends who would watch this property for me.

    I plan on speaking to my mortgage company to see if there are other options such as the possibility to take out the equity and refinance back to a 30 year at a good rate or possibly get a lower rate on the present 20 yr mortgage being that 3.75 is not that competitive. I would of course want to take the steps to change over to an LLC if I have this option...

      Is this making sense or am I reaching here?

    Best,

    Patty

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    You are wasting your time asking for advice if what you want to hear is that you have options regarding holding on to this property. IT is not a good investment as a rental and never will be. If you want to succeed you need to move out of your denial stage and realise that selling is the right and only option if you plan on moving forward.

    You can polish a turd until it shines like a diamond but it will always be a turd. If you are happy owning a shiny turd so be it.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Patty Fleming

    Welcome to BP!

    Sorry to hear of your situation. I think you need to find someone familiar with the area who knows the property in question. They may have some valuable insight on where things in that market are headed. I would suggest posting in the NJ forum and hoping an investor or agent with knowledge of your place can chime in and give you some local knowledge. 

    Best of luck!

  • Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Here is a suggestion:

    Put it on the market with rent to own with reasonable terms. Hopefully you can get some of your down payment back immediately as well as some cash flow from additional rent. 

    This may also help you into getting into your next project. All the best

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.