New to the forums from Millbrae and Palo Alto, CA

New to the forums from Millbrae and Palo Alto, CA

Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Howdy!

I’ve been following the BP blog and podcasts for a while but this is my first forum post - excited to meet everyone!

I’m a relatively new investor currently living in Millbrae, CA. Been in the Bay Area ~7 years. Originally from Houston but lived all over (Austin, DC, Boston, New York).

I currently work at Redfin where I design software for home buyers and agents. Outside work, I’ve invested in one rental property in Palo Alto. My goal, like many others’, is to build financial independence through buy-and-hold real estate. My specific goal is to achieve my freedom number by 40.

I've pursued a number of deals since my first one (duplex, 5-plex, short sale, SFR) but haven't successfully closed a 2nd property yet. It's tough to find and close good deals (as everyone knows!) but I'm hopeful that with persistence and continuing to make offers, good things will happen.

I actively search for real estate in the Bay Area, LA/OC/Irvine area, greater San Diego area, Houston, and Austin - these are markets I’m more familiar with, but I’m certainly open to other geographies if the numbers make sense…and I’m always seeking to learn about new markets!

I’ve learned so much from BP already it’d be great to give back and network with like-minded investors - if I can ever be helpful, the areas I’m good at are: (1) rigorous financial analysis (CFA charter holder), (2) technology / software (I have my own blog on building wealth), and (3) tax strategy (will not give official advice since I’m not a licensed tax professional, but I think about a lot of tax strategies).

What I’d love to learn most about is: (1) off-market deal sourcing (lead/list generation, mailers, using software to scale), (2) rehabbing (love J Scott’s book), and (3) effective property management strategies (loved Jake & Gino’s BP podcast) - all with a buy-and-hold goal in mind. I welcome any advice on these!

Look forward to meeting folks here!

Andrew 

2Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    Hi Andrew, Welcome to BP. If you ever need help in the Houston matket place don't hesitate to reach out. Chris
  • Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks Chris. What parts of Houston and what types of properties do you specialize in?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.