Amazing 2 years, want to keep the ball rolling now in RE.

Amazing 2 years, want to keep the ball rolling now in RE.

Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Hi everyone -

I've been lurking here and reading as much as I can. Thank you all for such an amazing community!

So a bit of background, I grew up helping in my father's construction business, then opened up a car dealership but hit hard times about 2 years ago. I decided to follow one of my passions which is in tech, and became a software developer.

I work at a great start-up, and just recently got promoted to a six figure income. Along the way, more importantly than any $ I focused on my health and in the last 7 months I've lost 70 lbs. Needless to say, I feel amazing.

But now I've really been thinking on "what next?". And I think I'm in the right spot to make some solid steps to secure my family's financial future.

RE: Real Estate

I've done about 10-15 rehabs / flips with my dad about 10 years ago in california (Los Angeles). It went well, but we never reshifted strategies here and that well dried up. My dad still is a contractor in LA and currently picks up rehab jobs for investors.

I'm really looking more for a slow and steady approach. My monthly living expenses are relatively low, my wife brings in some extra income as well and I'd rather not throw my $ at a mutual fund and cross my fingers for the best.

My current thoughts are investing in a 4-unit, although I can't decide if local is a good idea or not. The LA market is expensive! I've seen some interesting posts about going out of state, and I'd be interested in pursuing that avenue.

Locally, I was thinking maybe Boyle Heights? Any thoughts on that. Or out of state suggestions for someone in my boat?

Anyway, this got long very quickly. Thanks to everyone in advance!

2Reply
13 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    10y

    Hello @Angel Jose and let me be the first member to welcome you to Bigger Pockets. BP has a ton of information including free online videos and educational courses for you to watch and learn from. BP also has it's own podcast in itunes. At BP, the possibilities are endless. 

  • Virtual Assistant · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Hello Angel and I also want to welcome you. Glade to read you have the benefit of your fathers experience. Please feel free to ad me to yougroup of networker willing to share experiences.

    Don Enrique 

    skype : don.enrique46

  • Pacific Palisades, CA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Thanks bud for posting I can't wait to see what people say
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kyle White:

    Thanks bud for posting I can't wait to see what people say

     Neither can I! So many smart creative people on this forum.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Don Enrique:

    Hello Angel and I also want to welcome you. Glade to read you have the benefit of your fathers experience. Please feel free to ad me to yougroup of networker willing to share experiences.

    Don Enrique 

    skype : don.enrique46

     Thanks!

  • Virtual Assistant · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Anytime

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Hi Angel,

    I agree with looking for a steady income and think it is very hard to find good cash flowing properties in Los Angeles. I have some thoughts about out-of-state options. If you have a chance, contact me and lets exchange notes.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Peter Brach:

    Hi Angel,

    I agree with looking for a steady income and think it is very hard to find good cash flowing properties in Los Angeles. I have some thoughts about out-of-state options. If you have a chance, contact me and lets exchange notes.

     Will do. What's the best way to do so? E-mail / Phone / DM? Thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    @Angel Jose Let's Chat!  I've been investing here in LA and too found the high cost to be an issue.  I would love to share with you how I over came it and would love to suggest some areas you might want to look at.  Would love to connect with you!

    Cheers!

    David

  • Lender · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    I am a huge fan of Inglewood, Hawthorne and Slauson neighborhoods right now for my clients. Lots going on in the neighborhood and rents are rising quickly while sales prices are leveling off. 

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Welcome and much success to you!

    Strategy Out-of-States have a lot more cash-flow, and you can do it without seeing any of your deals, I did many of them, before I got access this year to a turn key company for lease-option and over 1000 deals a month starting around 10k... can also buy 3 houses for 50k!

    In California, you can get 6.5%-7% cap rate now and hard to get over 8%, even in multiplex.

    Either way, numbers are the key and let me know  how I can help or if you want me to analyse 8 deals in 2 minutes... :-)

    Good luck

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @David Dye - Great, yeah let's chat! I'll DM you my contact.

    @David Brizendine - Awesome, I'd love to get more of your thoughts on those neighborhoods. Inglewood in particular, with the stadium being built.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Angel Jose Check on El Monte, one of my foreman to that temporarily left me is already on his 4th rehab/flip for an investor, well is definitely not dry there. I love construction, higher risk higher reward, short burst of bigger income vs dealing with 100-200/month cash flow, 20-50k for 6 months work for me. I think you have all what you need and actually understand lingo on the rehab, a 10 min talk with your dad/day gets you through 3 months of nightmare with other investors that hire cheapy contractors who watches you tube on how stuff works. You have the credit, the cash, the contractor, and now you need the attorney, accountant, and agent to do everything else. Go wreck and build something and at least double that 6 figure income.

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the encouragement @Manolo D. Wrecking stuff does sound good LOL.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.