Paid off $20,000 in debt, now developing buy and hold criteria.

Paid off $20,000 in debt, now developing buy and hold criteria.

Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes

Hi everyone, 

My name is Matt Snow, and I am very new to this whole world of real estate investing. 

I graduated from PLNU in San Diego with a Business Admin degree in 2010, and moved up to Santa Cruz in 2013. During that move, I had a full-time job with Trader Joes, and about $40,000 in high interest personal debt and student loans. My monthly loan payments and basic expenses were virtually the same as my monthly income amount. It was time to buckle down and dig myself out of a deep hole. I made the decision to forgo paying rent, live frugally out of my truck, and put everything towards paying off debt using the snowball strategy. Six months later, I had paid off enough to afford a trailer in Bonny Doon for $450/month, (still the lowest rent I have ever seen in this area) and continue to live there today.

In spring 2014, I took on a second job managing a small boutique hotel in Capitola, to accelerate my debt payoff. As of right now, I have paid off all of my debt (with the exception of the student loan) and continue to work 60-80 hours/week between Trader Joe's and the hotel. This last spring, I have focused solely on securing my financial future through real estate. That is how I stumbled upon Bigger Pockets.

Lately, I have been reading and learning everything I can about Real Estate Investing, while saving for a down payment and developing my niche/strategy/criteria. I will be attending as many REI meet-ups as I can fit in around my work schedule. My current plan is to implement a Buy and Hold strategy of multi-family rentals, and ultimately generate enough cash flow to leave both jobs and focus on R.E.I. full time.

Due to my current financial standing (little debt, hardly any savings) and physical location, (inflated SF Bay area market) I realize it will not be an easy task to find and purchase my first cash-flowing property. However, I don't believe it's impossible. This has led me to focus on different methods of financing and seek out slightly less popular areas around Monterey Bay (i.e. Salinas valley, Watsonville, Soledad etc.) I'm also not opposed to investing out of state if it works out better financially. My one problem is that I love living here in Bonny Doon, and would have a really hard time moving to a less expensive inland location. I am an avid surfer. : )

Over all, I am really looking forward to future discussions with everyone here in the BP community, and am very excited to begin my R.E.I. journey! Any comments, advice, ideas, concerns, input are completely welcomed.

Thank you,

-Matt

3Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Kevin FoxPro Member
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
10y

Hey @Matt Snow

Congrats on getting that debt paid down and I commend you for continuing to work towards your goals despite the challenges you've faced.  Keep working hard and your eyes on the prize!

Let me know if you ever find yourself considering San Diego or if you have any general questions about SoCal investing/REI in general. Happy to help any way I can.

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 256 votes
    10y

    Hi Matt and welcome! This is definitely best place to learn. Locally, we have a quarterly real estate meetup. Join the group and you will get an email when I schedule the one in August. As you engage with people, show appreciation for their support by voting up their replies. 

    I'm just getting back into long boarding daily now that marathon season is over if you ever want a surf buddy and we can talk investing.

    -S

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thank you Shane! I will join the group and hopefully be able to make the next meeting. I would love meet up with you for a surf and talk investing.  My schedule is a little hectic these days, but I typically have Thursdays and Monday afternoons free. Will be nice to see the ocean will wake up after this flat spell! 

    -Matt

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    10y

    Hey @Matt Snow

    Congrats on getting that debt paid down and I commend you for continuing to work towards your goals despite the challenges you've faced.  Keep working hard and your eyes on the prize!

    Let me know if you ever find yourself considering San Diego or if you have any general questions about SoCal investing/REI in general. Happy to help any way I can.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Matt Snow

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets! I just got back to America from an educational/ministry consulting trip to Paraguay (you can Google "Zap Martin Paraguay" for details) with a couple professors from PLNU (Denise Necoechea, PhD and Kristie Szentesi, MA). Those professors and other PLNU people were a great support for our trip!

    As Kevin Fox mentioned, if you are ever back in San Diego I would love to help out. 

    Also, my real estate career first started booming out of state (Nevada, specifically) so keep in mind that you don't have to be married to the area you live in to benefit from real estate investing. Since then, I've done deals in multiple states other than California.

    Take care and God bless!

    Zap Martin, MBA

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome @Matt Snow! Congrats on sacrificing and paying off debt! That focus, drive and determination will take you far in life and REI. Glad to have you!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    @Matt Snow if I was paying $450/month rent near the coast (or anywhere close to that) I would never consider moving inland 😀. I commend you on both your work ethic and your efforts to reduce your debt. I think you have a good understanding of the challenges of REI.

    So that leaves me wishing you good luck in your REI pursuits.

    Good luck. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thank you very much @Kevin Fox! There is a good chance that I will be looking at San Diego in the coming years, as I still have family down there and am familiar with the area. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions along the way. I really appreciate the support! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thank you for the message @Lee Zap Martin! I believe I have met Denise a while back after a presentation at PLNU, what a small world! 

    It is very encouraging to hear that you were able to find success in out of state investing. When you were first considering it, did you happen to already know somebody involved over there, and/or had you been familiar with the area prior to looking for deals? 

    Thank you so much for all of your support!

    -Matt

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Steve Vaughan! I really appreciate it. I'm so excited to become a part of this community! 

    I noticed that you primarily invest in central Washington, which is an area that I often think about (I grew up near Tacoma, and my parents currently rent a 2bed/2bath in Cle Elum). If you don't mind me asking, what led you to choose this area? And have you experienced more of a delayed increase in home values compared to the western half of the state? 

    -Matt

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Thank you so much @Dan H.. Your positive words encourage me, it is really good to know that I am headed in the right direction!

    -Matt

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt Snow:

    Thank you @Steve Vaughan! I really appreciate it. I'm so excited to become a part of this community! 

    I noticed that you primarily invest in central Washington, which is an area that I often think about (I grew up near Tacoma, and my parents currently rent a 2bed/2bath in Cle Elum). If you don't mind me asking, what led you to choose this area? And have you experienced more of a delayed increase in home values compared to the western half of the state? 

    -Matt

     Thanks for asking, Matt. Moving to central WA was a simple lifestyle choice. 4 seasons and sun with a lot of the outdoor activities the west offers but with a lot less traffic!

    The rent to value ratios seemed better here than the west end when I started. Appreciation has been better in nicer west settings than here is my guess, but with an. employment base of ag, hydro power and  healthcare , I think rents here survived 08-11 better for the most  part.  

    Anyway, great to 'meet' another Washingtonian !

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    It is so sad nowadays to see young people graduate out of college with tons of debt and could not find a decent paying job. What's the point of going to college? What happened to the American dream? What happened to this once great nation that any body had a college degree can make a decent living instead of living in the back of a truck! There is something deeply wrong with this country! It's just sad.

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt Snow:

    Thank you very much @Kevin Fox! There is a good chance that I will be looking at San Diego in the coming years, as I still have family down there and am familiar with the area. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions along the way. I really appreciate the support! 

     You are very welcome, Matt!

    Feel free to shoot me a PM and connect any time.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hello @Matt Snow,

    I didn't know anyone in the area. My decision was purely based on research: unemployment going down, migration into area going up, rents going up, prices going up steady (but not sky-rocketing), Case-Schiller Index elasticity and things like that.... then I did my homework with finding the team (realtor/s, property manager, investor-friendly escrow company, other investors, etc...) and started going to work. 

    I hope that helps a little?

    Zap Martin, MBA

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Matt Snow, 

    I'm in a similar boat as you, trying to save up and figure out the best place to invest. I'm in San Diego but the rest of my family is in the Bay where I grew up, Santa Cruz, Berkley, and Palo Alto. I've looked into RE in Santa Cruz and Capitola (high demand) and the outlying but awesome areas of Felton, Ben Lomond, and Salinas (not quite as awesome) as I think demand will increase there as well. What do you think of Boney Doon for RE? I'm looking forward to hearing about where you pick and following your successes! 

    Lee

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Hi @Lee Ripma,

    Thank you for the message! From everything I have seen, Bonny Doon is in a similar boat as Felton, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek etc., which are fairly pricey compared to the Salinas Valley. Although, those towns along the highway 9 corridor do seem to be growing a bit faster than Bonny Doon. There have been quite a few new businesses opening up, and the ease of access to Santa Cruz probably makes the area more desirable. I'm guessing that Bonny Doon's distance from town would also narrow the selection of possible tenants as well. 

    Thanks again for your support! I will keep you posted as I get to know this area inside and out!

    -Matt

  • Investor · Aptos, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    Bonny Doon has high demand just as everything in this area does..its gonna come down to finding a good deal more than the exact location..good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.