Full-Time Teacher New to Real Estate, DFW area, Texas

Full-Time Teacher New to Real Estate, DFW area, Texas

Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes

Hello,

My name is Ashley Wolfe and I'm a full time elementary school teacher, wife, and mother of a 15 month old.  I live in the DFW metroplex and have for the last 8 years.  I'm a Texas native, born and raised in Houston, but have lived in Hawaii and the Philippines in my college and early teaching careers.

My husband and I bought what we discovered was a fixer-upper back in 2012 and we've been slowly updating and renovating.  During the early days, weeks, and months of living in this house, I would curse the name of not only my real estate agents but the lady who oversaw the project of a house that was falling apart in front of our very eyes.  Made me think that it sure would be nice to get into fully renovating homes (instead of just painting over peeling paint and lying on the seller disclosure about all of the problems that we soon found, like replacing the entire main line in the first two weeks of living here) and selling them to people KNOWING that we were selling them a top-quality home that is truly move-in ready.  That would make me feel so good because I'd be preventing the sour feelings of someone moving into a house that had all the cosmetic touches but none of the real work completed.

I'm learning as much as I can about real estate through BP, cheap Kindle books, YouTube videos, etc.  My husband and I know that we cannot, through our careers alone, save enough for retirement.  We also don't feel like investing in the stock market is really the game we want to play.  So we are turning to real estate.

I'm currently working my way through the BP podcasts in every spare moment I have between working full-time, being a mom, and running my side business.  (Its craft show season and I dye, spin yarn, and knit apparel and accessories.  I love it, and I actually make money doing it.  Score!)

Each new podcast brings about new feelings of excitement about that particular subject.  For example, I just finished Episode 10 which talked about flipping houses, which just last week I was doubting I'd ever ever EVER do.  The information was so pertinent and informative that I started to think, "Man, I COULD do this!"  So I'm going through what I'm sure TONS of beginners go through... I want to do it all and it changes each day.

One of my specific questions involves creative income.  I'd like to know what you think of buying and renting parking spaces, boat slips, etc. so that the rent check is not the only means of making the mortgage payment on a buy and hold.

Thanks!

Ashley Wolfe

0Reply
28 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    10y

    Hey @Ashley Wolfe welcome to the site! It's great to have you. 

    BiggerPockets
  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Thank you @davevisaya.  I visited Cebu while traveling with the HS girl's volleyball team I coached when I lived in the Philippines.  We didn't stay very long but I loved it there.

  • Investor · Willis, TX · Member since 2014 · 245 posts · 124 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!

    You're a good story teller. It will certainly help you in your real estate endeavors.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y
  • Colleyville, TX · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hello Ashley! I just joined BiggerPockets about a week ago.  I'm excited as you about getting into wholesaling and real estate.  I've spent the last three weeks glued to YouTube and reading multitudes of articles etc.  I have rehabbed several homes in the past, in which I resided during the ongoing projects (not fun)!  Long story short....I sold each of those properties for quite a good profit.

    We should touch base....as I am in Colleyville and we are practically neighbors!

    Let me know if your interested and I will send you my #.

    Cheers!

    Truda Gordon

  • Real Estate Broker · Tipton, IN · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Ashley Wolfe ! It’s great to have you here on BP!!

    This is a great place to expand on your knowledge about all things real estate. Be sure to connect with other BP members and make some friends along the way: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    If you haven't already, don't forget to set up keyword alerts for topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    All the best in your RE ventures!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sponsoring Real Estate Broker, Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Ashley Wolfe there is a lot of good information on this site. Have you considered getting your real estate license? That a great way to obtain new knowledge about this industry.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    thank you all for your replies.  This website seems great bc of the sheer number of experts who are here to weigh their opinions and give sound advice.

    @Truda Gordonyes, we should meet for coffee one of these days and really talk business.  In order to really stay accountable, let's actually put a date on the calendar that we could get together.  You're right, we're practically neighbors.

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    10y

    Cool! Let me know if you visit the Philippines again. :) I'm looking forward in investing here too so best of luck to both of us!

    BiggerPockets
  • Professional · Cypress, TX · Member since 2015 · 309 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Hi @Ashley Wolfe, welcome to BP. If you ever need help in the Houston market, let me know.

  • Pflugerville, TX · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    welcome

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.