New member from Wisconsin with creative idea to get in the game

New member from Wisconsin with creative idea to get in the game

Union Grove, WI · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hello Everyone,

New inspiring investor here in the stages of gaining education.  I have a unique creative way for me to gain equity in some deals.  Curious on everyone's opinion on if this could or could not work...

I own and run a Concrete company where we place and fix various, patios, driveways, sidewalks etc..  What I'm thinking (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that instead of charging for my service/product, I apply that towards overall capital used for flip/remodel etc.  Let me explain in real world scenario..

Joe investor has a single family house he picked up on the cheap and is doing a remodel in hopes of a good profit from the flip.  His purchase price is 50k on the house, he spends another 20k on remodel and 10k on a new concrete driveway.

Total invested: 50,000 purchase 30,000 improvements (10,000 for driveway).. 

Let's say I don't charge him directly and we apply my cost towards Money spent on his repairs.

I.e. He spends 70,000 and I "spend" 10,000 giving me a pre agreed upon equity stake of 12.5%.  

So house Appraises and sells for asking price of 100k which equals a 20,000 dollar profit to which I'm entitled 12.5%. Giving me $2,500 which is a cash on cash return from my original 10k of 25%.  That percentage could be higher considering my service is "valued" at that amount but does not actually cost me out of pocket 10k. I can make a win win win for everyone involved.  

Possible issues: protecting customer against what they think is a high job value = I would have them get three other bids and then do the average of both if feasible.  

Buy and hold deals would have to be structured another way to make it make sense for all involved.

What does everyone think???

I'm open to all criticism or praise. That's the only way we better our ideas 

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 129 votes
11y

Another UG native! I'm born and raised in Union Grove. My family owns the Landscape Supply Yard on C & 45, I now work in Milwaukee doing REI. I do make it back to the Grove on weekends sometimes though to help out the family business.

My first thought with your plan is how are you going to protect yourself? You give the flipper $10,000 in concrete work, but what if the project goes south else where and he doesn't make any money.  You would make nothing for carrying the cost of the concrete work.   Or worse he loses money but still owes you $10K.  Now your just trying to get paid for the work done months ago. Not a position I would want to be in.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 129 votes
    11y

    Another UG native! I'm born and raised in Union Grove. My family owns the Landscape Supply Yard on C & 45, I now work in Milwaukee doing REI. I do make it back to the Grove on weekends sometimes though to help out the family business.

    My first thought with your plan is how are you going to protect yourself? You give the flipper $10,000 in concrete work, but what if the project goes south else where and he doesn't make any money.  You would make nothing for carrying the cost of the concrete work.   Or worse he loses money but still owes you $10K.  Now your just trying to get paid for the work done months ago. Not a position I would want to be in.

  • Union Grove, WI · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Sam, 

    Small world huh? I know right where Ericksons is located. Just drove by LOL. 

    That is a very good point you bring up.  I have thought exactly that.  The deal in mind would be with someone who has a long track record of flips with great returns.  There would be a large amount of due diligence on my end and this type of situation wouldn't be offered to just anyone.  Have to have some type of track record to make me feel good about it.  In the end it does pose some risk like any business/investment venture does.  Maybe I could come up with a disclaimer on the deal contract that states that I am guaranteed at least my 10k in the event a no profit sale.  Thanks for your input 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Brice Lorenz

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets community. Be sure to check out “Learn” for all kinds of useful resources and free how to guides.

  • Investor · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Brice, I did this with my contractor when I started out. This worked out great for both of us. So in your example if it was us that 10000 was guaranteed and we  put a lien on the house to protect his interest. So worst case scenario he got the $10,000 at closing.  We haven't had a deal yet where he didn't get his 10 percent

  • Union Grove, WI · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Awesome Lance glad to hear this has some what of a success track record

  • Dave CarpenterPro Member
    Investor · Cedarburg, WI · Member since 2013 · 439 posts · 150 votes
    11y

    @Brice Lorenz I like the creativity. Sounds like a good tool to have in the toolbelt when a situations presents itself. Probably not a strategy that would work every time, but I'll bet that could help a deal work that otherwise might not.

  • Real Estate Investor · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2013 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    I am sorry, I didn't see anywhere if you would be dong the work yourself, or if you would have a crew.  Something to consider is the payment of labor (crew) and materials that would come out of your pocket. Can you afford to have the this expenditure and wait for payoff for an extended period of time, in case the house doesn't sell?  Which would then lead to possible tax implications.  I am not a tax professional.  But it would seem like that you could have a sticky tax situation if a deal would cross over from one year to the next.

  • Rich N.Pro Member
    Investor · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2015 · 761 posts · 328 votes
    11y

    @Brice Lorenz

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.  Good idea, others have done a form of bartering to get the job done.  As others have mentioned, be careful as you might get caught from bad people...they are even here on this site (far and few), but nonetheless.  be careful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.