Newbie from Shreveport/Bossier, Louisiana

Newbie from Shreveport/Bossier, Louisiana

Shreveport, LA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 3 votes

Hey all!  I've been reading a lot of the information on the site over the last few weeks, and figured that it was time to join.  My brother-in-law and I recently started talking about investing in some rental properties together.  There is a VERY short list of people with whom I would enter into this type of endeavor, and he's one of those people.  At present, we're trying to figure out the details of how our partnership should work.  We have similar goals, to invest money into property, with all profits being reinvested into additional assets. Neither of us have any intention of pulling income from the assets at this point.  From a team standpoint, he has a finance background and time to devote to researching potential acquisitions, managing the properties, but has less expendable income to commit.  I have much more flexibility in what I could contribute in capital, but I spend a considerable amount of time running my non-real estate-related business.  Being that we want to leave keep our investment growing, we're having a hard time figuring out how to reconcile the differences in capital contributions.  Were we to take an income stream, we could easily figure out a split, but we're not planning on taking any income.  I figure that his "management" will probably exceed my time spent keeping the Quickbooks up to date, but he is still concerned that giving credit to the management as a capital contribution will take too long in catching up that I'd be better off getting a return elsewhere.  He feels as though I could do any of what we talk about without him, but I don't think I'd have the time.  Anyone have any experience with how to arrange this relationship to be mutually beneficial, as I believe the partnership would be?  I really appreciate the vast amount of information on the site, and I look forward to continue furthering my education with all of you!

0Reply
13 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Andrew Banker

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets community.

    @Andrew Banker

  • Real Estate Investor · Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Hi @Andrew Banker

                                     Welcome to Biggerpockets!Great to have you here.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets @Andrew Banker!

    All the best!

  • Realtor · Shreveport, LA · Member since 2012 · 311 posts · 58 votes
    11y

    Hey @Andrew Banker... First off- Welcome to BP! There are some extremely AWESOME people from the Shreveport/Bossier area on Bigger Pockets. If you want some information for our monthly real estate investors meetup (RE360) send me a private message and I will forward that info. 

  • Realtor · Shreveport, LA · Member since 2012 · 311 posts · 58 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Banker... I have a detailed response to your question of forming a partnership. This evening I wil send my viewpoint. 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Andrew Banker

    I'm late to the party, but welcome to BP! This is a great resource for REI. There are several forum members in our area. Anyone from just thinking about getting started to some very seasoned investors. Looks like @Michael Faulk  has already provided you with some info on our local group. We'd love for you to come on out and connect/chat with us.

    As for your questions on partnerships... they can all be a little different. What works for some, doesn't for others. I'm sure all the locals would be glad to share with you what's worked for them, and more importantly, what hasn't.

  • Shreveport, LA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thanks, guys.  Appreciate the warm welcome!  I'm listening to podcasts and reading all I can.  My gears are turning -- have a feeling they aren't going to slow down for a while...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.