Finally Ready! Newbie in the East Bay Area! Hi!

Finally Ready! Newbie in the East Bay Area! Hi!

Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes

Wow BPers,

I finally did it! I finally completed my business plan and feel ready to make my intro and get going.

I've been cruising through these forums for a bit without having done a formal introduction until now. That's been on purpose... I wanted to make sure I was set to launch when I said my official hello.

Having read a number of blogs from the successful investors and seeing some common themes across them that I related to... tired of the corporate rat race, fed up with corporate incompetance and performance paralysis... I just couldn't have been more motivated. I was seeing myself in those blogs.

I too am an engineer currently. I've been in the corporate rat race long enough with mediocre growth despite being damn good at what I do (not to toot my own horn). I'm in my mid-30s and feel like my hour glass is being drained with little control of my own freedom. I don't feel free. I can't get ahead, despite how much I've given to my corporate slave-drivers, largely due to the politics and backstabbing that exists in those environments. Ugh... I'm just at the end of my rope already with that stuff... like many others that get started in real estate investing... that I just have to do something else and take the reigns of my own destiny with conviction.

And today, I've just achieved a major milestone in doin so. I COMPLETED MY BUSINESS PLAN! And I cannot tell you how exciting that is! I've spent the last several years conceptualizing on getting into real estate... reading a ton of books, got my real estate broker license, tripped up on trying to be a retail broker and an engineer for a brief episode, looked at properties and got paralysed in the analysis... and this time it's different. No more distractions... no more thinking off the top of my head trying to figure out what to do... no more losing focus on what my objective is... and FINALLY having a clear written goal and a plan to accomplish it.

My plan starts out with a mission statement summarizing my goals and objective and captures my spirit in how I want to run the business. This is crucial to quickly getting me refocused on my goals, plan, and character of which I need to uphold in my business (greed can quickly turn a person ugly). From there I've identified immediate goals (first 90 days), first year goals, and second year goals. I've identified a target market and developed a plan for finding leads in several niches over a phased approach hoping to capitalize on at least one of them. I've identified critical business needs that enable me to function without overstretching my short term budget (building in longevity to my plan). I've written down a series of financing strategies (or entry strategies in my low capital position) and developed a plan on how to build my network of the various types of lenders. I've even included a series of exit strategies as an alternative to my planned primary buy and hold one. I have a plan for locating quality investment buyers (being active in BP is included). And I have a plan to find and network with other key players in the industry that are crucial to my success as well in this business (equally important is my support of them as well).

I'm super excited to get up and running... FINALLY... and looking forward to joining the rest of you on the success podium. Your posts and questions have been super helpful in inspiring and enabling me to think critically about how to get into this business to stay. Time will be the true tell-tale I suppose. But I'm determined to be get there... and now I have a plan I can execute on.

I'm looking forward to getting out there and meeting you, virtually and otherwise. Thanks to those that have already so graciously offered me some advice and answered my "stupid" questions. I can't wait to be in a position to pay it forward.

1Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

@Joshua Durrin 

Start building your team turn over tasks to them. All your computer work marketing setup etc. can be handled by a 14-15 yr old in exchange for providing them with a brand new laptop. Make minimum monthly payments you can train them to find deals and analyze them using the computer.

Paul

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Joshua Durrin  Welcome and congratulations on completing your business plan! It's very important to be clear and focused, and it sounds like you're both. If you don't mind sharing, what are your short-term goals? 

    I'm a "newbie" as well. I'll be a licensed real estate agent in a few months and after years of "fence riding" I decided that, for me, getting a license was a solid route.

    Here's wishing you the best. Every action taken gets you one step closer. When you win, we all win.

  • Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    @Rosalina Brenda Berk  Thanks Brenda.  I'm honored to pass on some tips... though, take them with a grain of salt as admittedly they haven't produced any results yet.  ;)

    Having my brokers license I guess was my very first step.  I've had it so long that it expired actually and I just recently renewed it before the con-ed deadline expired.  Part of the reason I wasn't able to do anything with it before was a lack of support.  I've only been able to get this far now due to the support I have from my girlfriend (and partner).  I owe many thanks to her.  

    Once I re-committed myself to real estate investing (largely inspired by having found the podcasts on http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/p...) I knew I had to make some changes from my last approach.  I'd done loads of project and people management in my corporate job and after listening to the podcasts and reading several blogs it finally clicked for me... I'm running a business for someone else.  I realized finally that it was time I started applying my skills to accomplish MY goals versus my corporate jobs goals.  So here I am today (still also at my corporate job, however... for now).  

    My first 90-days goals were to set the stage for me to be able to market myself to other professionals.  I needed to do that, however, without committing myself to high recurring costs.  So I focused on the essentials... or what I think are the essentials anyhow.  I built a website for our business.  Creating the content for this had also helped me figure out what my focus should be and who I was actually using this website to market to.  This isn't the lead generating website but rather a networking website.  I also established a business phone number.  Both of these were valuable to setup first so that I had something to put on my business cards... which is my primary means of driving my "future" colleagues to that sight. The face to face networking, I think, is important... particularly since I don't have a portfolio "resume" to leverage.  They're partnering with me... so it's important that they meet me... and I meet them.  I'm my only asset right now.  

    Of course completing my business plan itself was an important first-90 day goal too.  And to do that I had to identify my long term goals and devise a strategy (or several) to accomplish them.  I identified a couple of small niches I wanted to try first, ones that I've heard (via the podcasts) have had the most success.  I'm in the process of researching where to procure my first mailing list. The benefit of working a full time job is that I've been able to save enough to comfortably support an 8 month direct mail campaign using it.  This is the biggest expense so far. 

    Alternatively, I have a few other low cost lead generating ideas too... one of which you'll find right on my website (and on the back of my business card... don't forget how valuable that real estate is right there too).  The downside of working a full time job is that I don't have the time so much to visit the court house and research owners and liens on properties.  So, while driving for dollars, for instance, is a cheaper strategy, it's more difficult to execute for me. But I have done it.  First letter went out last month... yes, I said letter... singular... naturally this effort needs some boost to be effective.  

    To keep costs down, I wrote content (or copied some of it from other sources) for my yellow letters and saved it my electronic records.  Things are very manual right now and very time consuming. Knowing that going in, however, I've kept pretty detailed notes on the processes I've run through keeping in mind that I'll likely want to either farm some of this work out in the near future or develop systems to streamline or automate the processes.  This is where being an engineer comes in handy (process improvement is what I've done for a living thusfar).

    All that said, however, I must say my guidance was taken primarily from Chad Carlson's blog post (http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/10/22...).  I found that I had completed much of what he suggested there in the time between my first failure and now, reading many of the books he suggests and such.  Another lot of it was stuff I was doing already to get my business going after I had re-committed myself to this endeavor.  So it really only left a small amount for me to follow to get started.  But his list was a huge breath of reassurance for me, and his story was almost as if I was writing it three years later (or so I hope) from when he did.  I felt like I was looking into my future.  It was highly motivating and helped kick me into higher gear.  

    I hope I've helped too, even in a small amount.  [I also hope I'm on the right track frankly. ;)] And to Chad... I'm anxiously awaiting part 2.  Best of luck to you.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Joshua Durrin You've definitely helped. Just sharing your story, I think, helps others in the sense that they don't feel alone in being a "newbie". 

    That Chad Carson blog post was EPIC! Part 2 (steps 4-7) has been up since last month. http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/11/05/quit-job-invest-real-estate-full-time-final-steps/

    I've read this thing twice now and I feel like I have to go back a third time. Not because it doesn't make sense, but because it's so freaking comprehensive! I love it. The Chad Carson podcast episode has been my favorite so far. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    Fantastic! Thanks Brenda! And thanks Chad!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Joshua Durrin 

    Start building your team turn over tasks to them. All your computer work marketing setup etc. can be handled by a 14-15 yr old in exchange for providing them with a brand new laptop. Make minimum monthly payments you can train them to find deals and analyze them using the computer.

    Paul

  • Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    @Paul Timmins  Thanks for the input Paul.  I am definitely working on my business at the same time as working in it.  I have another full time job, and a career that involves improving performance within that business so it'll be hugely helpful coming from that kind of background.  Additionally, I like what I do in that field.  I'm looking to build multiple streams of income... which includes working my current job as well as long as I'm capable.  So, I'm definitely taking the "systems" approach to building my business.  Farming much of the daily activities out is definitely in the plan for the long term.  In fact, I should probably update that in business plan.  :)

    I just wrote my first investment offer and found it to be a mound of paperwork.  My goal is to have the "meat and potatoes" of the offer on the first page of the offer (one-page offer supported by the rest of the fluff behind it).  That'll help me streamline the offer process significantly as it took me several hours to process and prep all the paperwork.  I'll get there... I'm determined to.  I'll see you at the top of the ladder soon.  ;)

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone has a different niche!

    We are buy and hold investors who invest in class A properties self-managing from a distance while working full time. Our goal is to build a portfolio or as I say an "empire" of passive income to provide the cash flow needed for early retire in 15 years, wo we do work on furthering our careers. We live very frugally allowing us to live off of one income and save the other. We have further our career and used the W2 income to leverage our real estate portfolio.

    I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. I talk about our experience in self-managing, buy and holds and investing in our niche in podcast 103. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. As many of us have created resources around our niche (websites, blogs, etc) so checking out the signature is a great to get more information. Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.

    Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help! Good luck!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Elizabeth Colegrove.  I'll definitely be listening to that podcast.  I'm working my way through the whole series, currently on show 56.  Thanks to you and the others for offering your wisdom and guidance to all of us newbies trying to get out of the rat race.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.