Hello everyone - I'm relatively new to BP and posting. I'm starting my personal real estate journey, but want to find more people that are willing to just talk about real estate or bounce ideas off of. I feel there is a need in personal real estate for conversation without constantly being sold on something. And I can't really talk shop with my inner group of friends (other than the macroeconomics of CRE).
Are there outlets for these types of conversations?
Those above are all No Sales events. That is, they will not try to sell you anything. They are also live events. Do a search on Meetup and you’ll find others. Just be aware of the for-profit clubs. Many of these invite speaker circuit gurus that are there to sell you their programs. You should avoid these.
Don’t worry if the topic/presentation on a particular day doesn’t interest you. You go to these to meet others and to network, not to necessarily hear the speaker.
Remember:
You are there to network. Never sit, unless the presentation is ongoing.
Set a goal, such as meeting 10 attendees. Don’t be shy. Everyone really does want to meet you.
Be prepared with an answer when you are asked what you do in real estate. Saying, “I’m just starting” is fine. We all started at some point.
Bring business cards. Nothing elaborate. Name, address, email, and phone number is all you need.
Those above are all No Sales events. That is, they will not try to sell you anything. They are also live events. Do a search on Meetup and you’ll find others. Just be aware of the for-profit clubs. Many of these invite speaker circuit gurus that are there to sell you their programs. You should avoid these.
Don’t worry if the topic/presentation on a particular day doesn’t interest you. You go to these to meet others and to network, not to necessarily hear the speaker.
Remember:
You are there to network. Never sit, unless the presentation is ongoing.
Set a goal, such as meeting 10 attendees. Don’t be shy. Everyone really does want to meet you.
Be prepared with an answer when you are asked what you do in real estate. Saying, “I’m just starting” is fine. We all started at some point.
Bring business cards. Nothing elaborate. Name, address, email, and phone number is all you need.
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Find people on the same level as you or slightly further along. If you're looking to house hack find the guy or gal who just started their first or second house hack. Looking to flip find the guy who just finished their 3rd flip. This group of pees will also help you avoid the sharks who just want to pitch you
Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
1y
Meet ups where nothing is being sold are gold. I'm part of an Asian American real estate group called SARE with multiple chapters in SoCal. They're meet ups are great and open to all ethnicities.
Another option that's worked well for me are Facebook groups. Most are crap but there are a few that have been great for growing my network. I'm focused on the MTR niche.
Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 346 votes
1y
This is so real @Kyle Pascual! So many "meetups" are just veils for the hosts who are looking to find investors for their next flip, syndication or coaching program. Sigh/barf! It's the same for podcasts too lol.
But yes totally agree with @Jeff S. comment, and also there were some really cool DIY bigger pockets meetups (like the South LA Bigger Pockets meetup which moved to Facebook groups) that are full of other investors who are just looking to connect, and not sell you anything!!
Unfortunately you gotta go to a lot of meetups to find the real ones, but you will find them, as there are plenty of us in LA that want to talk real estate without sales.
Hello everyone - I'm relatively new to BP and posting. I'm starting my personal real estate journey, but want to find more people that are willing to just talk about real estate or bounce ideas off of. I feel there is a need in personal real estate for conversation without constantly being sold on something. And I can't really talk shop with my inner group of friends (other than the macroeconomics of CRE).
Are there outlets for these types of conversations?
Thanks!
Welcome! I am an experienced Realtor in Los Angeles, CA. Would love to connect.