New investor and new to the community

New investor and new to the community

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes

Hello, Introducing myself here as I am brand new to the Bigger Pockets community. I've been listening to the podcast and reading all the books on real estate investing for years. With several other active businesses, I haven't had the time to jump into real estate investing, but my wife and I finally made the leap and purchased our first 2 investments in single-family homes this year. We are looking to meet people with expertise that can help us grow our business and gain insights into real estate investing. Also, happy to help in any way that we can especially with those in our local market, Reno, NV. Looking forward to diving into the rest of the content here.

4Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Chris Markham:

Hello, Introducing myself here as I am brand new to the Bigger Pockets community. I've been listening to the podcast and reading all the books on real estate investing for years. With several other active businesses, I haven't had the time to jump into real estate investing, but my wife and I finally made the leap and purchased our first 2 investments in single-family homes this year. We are looking to meet people with expertise that can help us grow our business and gain insights into real estate investing. Also, happy to help in any way that we can especially with those in our local market, Reno, NV. Looking forward to diving into the rest of the content here.


 Hey Chris, my partner is actually based out of Reno, NV. We invest heavily invest in the Columbus market. I also work with out-of-state investors from both the east and west coast who love investing here. I specialize in both residential and multi-family real estate in the Columbus market. Below is a list of metrics that my out-of-state investors have looked into when choosing to invest here in the Columbus market.

Population Growth: Target cities with a minimum 1.5% YoY growth over the past 20 years and populations exceeding 100,000. (Use tools like loopnet, Costar demographics, and crime maps. Check with local governments for their economic plans.)

Job Growth: Prioritize areas with a minimum of 2% employment growth YoY for the past two decades. (Investigate the presence of Fortune 100 companies and industry diversity, using resources like metropolitan council reports and broker websites (e.g., CBRE, Colliers).)

Affordability: Ensure household income has grown at least 1% YoY for the past 20 years. Be wary if rents exceed 1/3 of average incomes.

Absorption/Vacancy: Consult National Association of Realtors for market time and inventory insights. Evaluate historical and current vacancy rates, aiming for decreasing trends.

Demographics: For younger populations, focus on proximity to parks and schools. For older demographics, consider the availability of medical centers, entertainment, and restaurants.

Buildings/Permits: Assess the city's growth compared to previous years.Determine if the city can accommodate future supply.

Government Regulations: Examine the city's efforts and the type of businesses they are targeting. Be cautious of cities that aren't proactive in job attraction; too much growth can lead to strict building regulations, affecting housing value.

Other Factors

- Favor cities with a crime index that has consistently decreased over a decade.

- For appreciation, I look for a minimum of 2.5% YoY growth in median house values over the past 20 years but I don't use this explicitly in calculations.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 44 votes
    2y

    Welcome, Chris! 

    I'm in Reno too. Congrats on your first purchases! Were those local or distance properties?

    Cheers,
    Alex

  • Real Estate Agent · Northern California · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    Thats is awesome Chris!! I love the fact that you have a partner in crime like Batman and Robin. Congratulations on getting the first two properties, and changing gears into investing.  I would love to support you in any way consider me a resource. Keep growing. 

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alexander Yates:

    Welcome, Chris! 

    I'm in Reno too. Congrats on your first purchases! Were those local or distance properties?

    Cheers,
    Alex 

     Both are local properties to Reno. Figured we'd start local.

  • Realtor · Akron, OH · Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    Welcome Chris! I am in Ohio but spend a lot of time in the LV area. Best of luck on your real estate journey!

  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    2y

    @Chris Markham

    Welcome to BP! I'm in the Reno, NV area, 

    It's a great area to invest and we are finding some good deals.

    Happy to meet to link up and share knowledge and resources in the area. 

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi Chris, welcome to the community! It's fantastic to have you here.

    Your experience and enthusiasm are valuable assets to our community, and we're thrilled to have you on board.

    We're all here to support each other's growth and success in real estate.
    -Julio

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Julio Gonzalez:

    Hi Chris, welcome to the community! It's fantastic to have you here.

    Your experience and enthusiasm are valuable assets to our community, and we're thrilled to have you on board.

    We're all here to support each other's growth and success in real estate.
    -Julio


     Thanks, Julio. I look forward to connecting with you further.

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

    @Chris Markham

    Welcome to BP! I'm in the Reno, NV area, 

    It's a great area to invest and we are finding some good deals.

    Happy to meet to link up and share knowledge and resources in the area. 

    Hey Bradley,

    That sounds great! We are also fairly new to the Reno area so it'd be great to connect sometime. Send me a message and we can set something up.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Markham:

    Hello, Introducing myself here as I am brand new to the Bigger Pockets community. I've been listening to the podcast and reading all the books on real estate investing for years. With several other active businesses, I haven't had the time to jump into real estate investing, but my wife and I finally made the leap and purchased our first 2 investments in single-family homes this year. We are looking to meet people with expertise that can help us grow our business and gain insights into real estate investing. Also, happy to help in any way that we can especially with those in our local market, Reno, NV. Looking forward to diving into the rest of the content here.


     Hey Chris, my partner is actually based out of Reno, NV. We invest heavily invest in the Columbus market. I also work with out-of-state investors from both the east and west coast who love investing here. I specialize in both residential and multi-family real estate in the Columbus market. Below is a list of metrics that my out-of-state investors have looked into when choosing to invest here in the Columbus market.

    Population Growth: Target cities with a minimum 1.5% YoY growth over the past 20 years and populations exceeding 100,000. (Use tools like loopnet, Costar demographics, and crime maps. Check with local governments for their economic plans.)

    Job Growth: Prioritize areas with a minimum of 2% employment growth YoY for the past two decades. (Investigate the presence of Fortune 100 companies and industry diversity, using resources like metropolitan council reports and broker websites (e.g., CBRE, Colliers).)

    Affordability: Ensure household income has grown at least 1% YoY for the past 20 years. Be wary if rents exceed 1/3 of average incomes.

    Absorption/Vacancy: Consult National Association of Realtors for market time and inventory insights. Evaluate historical and current vacancy rates, aiming for decreasing trends.

    Demographics: For younger populations, focus on proximity to parks and schools. For older demographics, consider the availability of medical centers, entertainment, and restaurants.

    Buildings/Permits: Assess the city's growth compared to previous years.Determine if the city can accommodate future supply.

    Government Regulations: Examine the city's efforts and the type of businesses they are targeting. Be cautious of cities that aren't proactive in job attraction; too much growth can lead to strict building regulations, affecting housing value.

    Other Factors

    - Favor cities with a crime index that has consistently decreased over a decade.

    - For appreciation, I look for a minimum of 2.5% YoY growth in median house values over the past 20 years but I don't use this explicitly in calculations.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Markham:

    Hello, Introducing myself here as I am brand new to the Bigger Pockets community. I've been listening to the podcast and reading all the books on real estate investing for years. With several other active businesses, I haven't had the time to jump into real estate investing, but my wife and I finally made the leap and purchased our first 2 investments in single-family homes this year. We are looking to meet people with expertise that can help us grow our business and gain insights into real estate investing. Also, happy to help in any way that we can especially with those in our local market, Reno, NV. Looking forward to diving into the rest of the content here.


    Glad to have you on BiggerPockets!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.