New to REI and BiggerPockets - Bay City, Michigan

New to REI and BiggerPockets - Bay City, Michigan

New to Real Estate · Bay City, MI · Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi all - I'm new to Real Estate Investing and the BiggerPockets brand/community.

My wife and I are in our early 40's and we are located in Bay City, Michigan although we don't yet have any properties.  Ideally, I'd like property that is outside of our area so that we have to learn how to manage from a distance (and be less hands-on for any day-to-day issues).  That said, since we have no experience yet, we might be willing to do the learning closer to home.

Our main goal is to have investments that provide cashflow - our short term goal is to get at least one property with rental income.  Longerterm we want to replace our W-2 incomes entirely so that we have the freedom to stop working (I imagine this is a very common desire/goal for this community)!

I've been learning about lots of different passive income possibilities and real estate seemed like the one that is most approachable and that we're most comfortable with.  I know it's not necessarily 'passive', but I'm focusing more on investing in cashflowing assets so that I can trade money for money vs. time for money as much as possible.  Some of my friends have suggested BiggerPockets, so here I am!

Here's what we (think we) are interested in: Long term rentals for single-family or dual-family homes, buy and hold (i.e., cashflow vs. equity/growth), lower risk (we're okay with slower progress for now), ultimately want to partner with property managers so we can be more hands off.  We don't have a lot of extra time right now, but have capital we've saved so we skew more towards hiring out bits of the work (e.g., rehab) vs. putting in a lot of the sweat equity.  That said, since we haven't truly gotten started, we're open to different strategies as we learn.

If anyone is aware of Real Estate Investing communities (e.g., meetups) in the Bay City, Saginaw, Midland Michigan area I'd be very interested to connect!


+Nathan

0Reply
21 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Nathan, sounds like you have the right idea.

    I'm a native Michigander, having grown up in Harbor Springs/Petoskey but I went out to CA for college. After a decade or so in the Bay Area my wife and I relocated to Detroit Metro from 2017-2022 and then back to CA.

    I highly recommend checking out the Detroit market. It's far enough from you so that you can accomplish your goal of managing from afar, but not so distant where you can't be there relatively quick if you think you need to be.

    There's a meetup I used to attend called Renegade Detroit Investors. Google it and you'll find their site. They meet monthly and it's by far the best meetup in the area (no salesy BS, etc.).

    Detroit is very up-and-coming. Investors are just starting to figure it out but the city has been on the upswing for years. As a result, there's still cash flow to be found and great potential for appreciation.

    I own 12-doors there and do a lot of deals there every month.

  • New to Real Estate · Bay City, MI · Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Thanks so much for the reply Travis!  

    I just saw an infographic that mentioned Detroit was a relatively good market right now.  I have to admit my initial bias was to think that whoever put it together was probably putting a generously positive spin on it...but I suppose it is true that they've been doing a lot of work in the past couple decades doing lots of improvements.

    Not sure how easy it'll be to get down there for meetups, but if I don't find anything closer to home, I'll keep that in mind.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Check out Genesee real estate investors group via Google

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • River SavaPro Member
    Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Nathan-

    Welcome to the BP community! As others mentioned, you are definitely on the right track. I would look at meetup.com for in person and virtual connects. Always happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 749 posts · 510 votes
    2y

    Hi there! Welcome to the BP Forums, and congratulations on your first post.

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi Nathan, it's fantastic to have you join the BiggerPockets community as you begin your real estate investing journey.

    Welcome aboard and best of luck investing! 

    -Julio

  • Property Manager · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Hey there!

    First and foremost, welcome to the BiggerPockets community! You've chosen a fantastic platform to dive into the world of real estate investing, and your goals and mindset are already setting you up for a promising journey.

    It's impressive to see that you have a clear vision of what you want — seeking cashflowing assets, considering long-term rentals, and even the openness to evolving your strategies as you learn. Many seasoned investors started right where you are now, and with the kind of clarity and enthusiasm you bring, you're on the right path.

    I resonate with your approach a lot. Not only am I an active investor, but I'm also a property manager. Managing from a distance and being hands-off, especially when juggling day-to-day tasks, is something I'm familiar with. Having a reliable property manager can make a significant difference in your journey, especially when you're looking to invest out of your immediate area.

    If you ever find the time and interest, I'd love to discuss your goals in detail and potentially offer some guidance or share experiences. The world of real estate is vast, and having allies can make the journey smoother and more rewarding.

    Once again, welcome to BiggerPockets! Wishing you and your wife all the best on this new adventure. If you're ever up for a chat, just drop me a line!

    Warm regards,

    Dan

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    Welcome to the BP family @Nathan Markey ! Glad to have you as a part of this awesome community!

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

    Good luck on your REI journey!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.