Financing and Scale Up

Financing and Scale Up

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 2 votes

New to real estate investing and trying to learn as much as I can before taking the plunge to purchase our first property.  My wife and I are also trying to figure out if I qualify for PSLF loan forgiveness for school loans.  Once we figure out our plan there we will be ready to dive in. 

We are interested in long term appreciation, mortgage pay down, tax benefits at this point rather than cash flow as it relates to short term rentals. My W-2 income is more than enough and we will continue working until our investments are producing enough income. The sooner we get to that point the better.

I'm thinking ahead to the 2nd/3rd+ property. I want to structure my plan so we can scale up quickly. Ideally I want 4-5 STR that pay for themselves in terms of mortgage but with appreciation/tax benefit/mortgage over 5-10 years are able to provide a sizable income.

The easiest way to start seems to be second home mortgage for 10-20% down. Then any additional properties would require 25-30% down as an investment or DSCR. I can do that but to save enough for each additional property would take 2-3 years per property. (Thinking properties valued at 1-2 Million, in high occupancy regions). I can accomplish the 4-5 properties but it would take 10 years to reach that point to round out my portfolio. Is there a way to structure financing from the get go so things can spitball quickly and we can get those 4-5 under contract in the first few years?

As an aside I am a surgeon with a high W-2 income but less available time due to a demanding job.  We like the idea of Maui and Sedona so these would be long distance ownership situations. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!


2Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael DavidPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · MO · Member since 2022 · 79 posts · 37 votes
4y

Hey @Eric Dyson, glad to see you are thinking ahead! If you are looking for agents then you can take a look at our Agent Finder tool. We have agents in both Maui and Sedona. 

For lending, it looks like you'll need a lender experienced with many different loan programs. If you are looking for some suggestions on BiggerPockets, feel free to schedule a time on my calendar here to discuss more. Thanks and talk soon!

BiggerPockets
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael DavidPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · MO · Member since 2022 · 79 posts · 37 votes
    4y

    Hey @Eric Dyson, glad to see you are thinking ahead! If you are looking for agents then you can take a look at our Agent Finder tool. We have agents in both Maui and Sedona. 

    For lending, it looks like you'll need a lender experienced with many different loan programs. If you are looking for some suggestions on BiggerPockets, feel free to schedule a time on my calendar here to discuss more. Thanks and talk soon!

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eric Dyson:

    New to real estate investing and trying to learn as much as I can before taking the plunge to purchase our first property.  My wife and I are also trying to figure out if I qualify for PSLF loan forgiveness for school loans.  Once we figure out our plan there we will be ready to dive in. 

    We are interested in long term appreciation, mortgage pay down, tax benefits at this point rather than cash flow as it relates to short term rentals. My W-2 income is more than enough and we will continue working until our investments are producing enough income. The sooner we get to that point the better.

    I'm thinking ahead to the 2nd/3rd+ property. I want to structure my plan so we can scale up quickly. Ideally I want 4-5 STR that pay for themselves in terms of mortgage but with appreciation/tax benefit/mortgage over 5-10 years are able to provide a sizable income.

    The easiest way to start seems to be second home mortgage for 10-20% down. Then any additional properties would require 25-30% down as an investment or DSCR. I can do that but to save enough for each additional property would take 2-3 years per property. (Thinking properties valued at 1-2 Million, in high occupancy regions). I can accomplish the 4-5 properties but it would take 10 years to reach that point to round out my portfolio. Is there a way to structure financing from the get go so things can spitball quickly and we can get those 4-5 under contract in the first few years?

    As an aside I am a surgeon with a high W-2 income but less available time due to a demanding job.  We like the idea of Maui and Sedona so these would be long distance ownership situations. 

    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!


     Aloha Eric,

    I have several STRs here on Maui and I like the way you are looking at it. You are correct in some of your observations and your idea of buying as second home is great, but probably won't work out here. I say probably because in order to get a second home loan here on Maui you'll need to buy a place that is not being short term rented and has no history of it. The only STR properties here are going to be condos that are zoned for it. Don't try to go the SFH route and make a STR out of it. Won't work. DSCR loans can work too, but I haven't found anyone that will use short term income for DSCRs out here. They use long term rental income for that. So, you can get those loans, but plan on putting down 30% on any STR on Maui. Can it be done with less? Yes, maybe. But there's not a lot of lenders that actually lend on STRs on Maui. Several reasons behind that, most mainland lenders don't. You have to use a local bank, and there are only a few that lend as most STR condos are considered Condotels. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to give you the facts for this location. I'm happy to talk through what you're looking at if you like and give you my thoughts and connect you with the right lenders, realtors, managers, etc. Just DM me. We've been in this market for 20+ years, own several and manage all of them. We're still buying and putting down 30% on all of them.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eric Dyson:

    New to real estate investing and trying to learn as much as I can before taking the plunge to purchase our first property.  My wife and I are also trying to figure out if I qualify for PSLF loan forgiveness for school loans.  Once we figure out our plan there we will be ready to dive in. 

    We are interested in long term appreciation, mortgage pay down, tax benefits at this point rather than cash flow as it relates to short term rentals. My W-2 income is more than enough and we will continue working until our investments are producing enough income. The sooner we get to that point the better.

    I'm thinking ahead to the 2nd/3rd+ property. I want to structure my plan so we can scale up quickly. Ideally I want 4-5 STR that pay for themselves in terms of mortgage but with appreciation/tax benefit/mortgage over 5-10 years are able to provide a sizable income.

    The easiest way to start seems to be second home mortgage for 10-20% down. Then any additional properties would require 25-30% down as an investment or DSCR. I can do that but to save enough for each additional property would take 2-3 years per property. (Thinking properties valued at 1-2 Million, in high occupancy regions). I can accomplish the 4-5 properties but it would take 10 years to reach that point to round out my portfolio. Is there a way to structure financing from the get go so things can spitball quickly and we can get those 4-5 under contract in the first few years?

    As an aside I am a surgeon with a high W-2 income but less available time due to a demanding job.  We like the idea of Maui and Sedona so these would be long distance ownership situations. 

    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!


    Hi Eric.
    I don't know much about the Maui STR market.
    My clients in Sedona are averaging over 25% cash on cash returns with the current softened market. I have 3 contractor teams that give great rates, several superstar local lenders and an awesome local STR property manager to help make it easy. If I can answer questions or give any guidance, just holler.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.