Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
California Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Taylor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Los Angeles ADU valuations explained

Jonathan Taylor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Aug 12 2020, 11:45

Good Afternoon Local LA BP folks,

I know this has been a hot topic among the local LA investors and as a mortgage broker I was very curious on how ADUs are actually valued as I keep hearing different sides to this. I spent a good amount of hours talking to local LA residential appraisers to get an idea. Bottom line is, ADUs are NOT valued the same as an additional unit nor is the rental income considered in their valuations. The best example I found was if you have an SFR with a pool and an SFR without a pool. The SFR with a pool is given maybe 20k-30k more in value. Same concept for ADUs. Its a value add line item and assigned values ranging from 20-50k. Now the appraisers I spoke to did not speak in absolutes as they would constantly say 'probably around' and 'depends on the comps of recently sold in the area' to justify the property values assigned to ADUs.

Let me know your thoughts but this seems to stick as I spoke to 5 local LA  residential appraisers, all consistently reiterating the above comments. To be clear, this is info about Los Angeles county ADUs only, I did not speak to any appraiser outside of this county. 

Loading replies...