Shades of Gray for Rental Property

Shades of Gray for Rental Property

Attorney · Oakland, CA · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 22 votes

Hey BP Fam,

I just purchased a property that consists of a main house and a detached studio in the back. For now, I plan to live in the main house and rent the studio out right away. In the next year or two, I will move out of the main unit and rent that one out as well. So it will be a full on rental property. 

That said, I am currently deciding which color to paint both units. As of now, I am thinking that I will paint the kitchen, bathrooms, trim, and ceilings a Swiss Coffee White (Kelly Moore) and paint the living area and bedrooms walls a light shade of Gray. 

I picked up some samples of "Gray Ghost" and "San Francisco Fog" from Kelly Moore. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these shades and can share some input and/or pics. Im also happy to get any recs on shades you believe may be better. I want a light gray that will open up the space and match  the floors, which will be a light sand-oak color (https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Sandbridge-Oak-Engineered-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-CoreLuxe-EVPSB5/10041438). 

Look forward to getting your thoughts. Thanks! 

DJ 

1Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 16 votes
7y

I've been hearing good things about grey colors in rentals recently. I'm rehabbing a couple apartments currently - I'm going to paint them all white (not Swiss Coffee, I think that color is now old-fashioned) with white kitchen cabinets and grey kitchen counters. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    We used “Chic Grey” from Behr for the walls of two of our properties and we love it. It complements all of the accent wall colors we used, from a deep royal blue to a light teal blue and even lemon yellow. I don’t know what the closest match would be in other brands. Flat in bedrooms, satin in bathrooms. In some light it can almost look white.

    Here are some raw photos. Hope this helps!

    Btw where is your property located?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    I've been hearing good things about grey colors in rentals recently. I'm rehabbing a couple apartments currently - I'm going to paint them all white (not Swiss Coffee, I think that color is now old-fashioned) with white kitchen cabinets and grey kitchen counters. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 236 posts · 328 votes
    7y

    It's very popular now, the way beige was 10 years ago.  My realtor friend calls the shade "HGTV Grey".  My only advice is that if you have multiple rentals, paint them all the same shade of grey and always buy from the same supplier, which makes it easier to repaint or do touch ups.  If you have Benjamin Moore and use that computer color matching to make a Behr paint, it will be very close, but not the same.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Don’t do trim and walls same color (as you wrote). Boring;)

  • Penny ClarkPro Member
    Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
    6y

    If possible stick with one trim/accent color and one wall color for both units and consider using sheen of eggshell, satin or even semigloss for easier cleaning. Label the buckets for quick  touch ups  when you turn the unit. Going gray is a refreshing alternative to off white, white or tan. Incorporating one accent wall in a complimentary neutral color will make a room pop.  Swiss coffee may be old school for trim  but it's a timeless classic and compliments just about all colors.

    Good luck and congrats on your first rental!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.